Incubus : Light Grenades

Giselle

Firstly, who has heard of them? :lol:

If you have, and is not just a casual fan, what do you think of the new album?

I think it's great. The first single is obviously a hit and one of their bests, but other songs such as 'Rogues' and 'Dig' will also make my favourites list in due course.

Have to say they truly are a unique band that produces unique music. Although one could have said they were similar to the old RHCP, that only applies to their first couple of albums, which had that jazzy-funk element to it. Since then, however, they've come into their own, producing one-of-a-kind music that is truly different to other 'rock' bands out there. The last album was a bit disappointing no matter what the hardcore fanbase says. A new bassist takes time to come into his own and it showed when the main focus was obviously their lead guitarist, Mike Einziger. Even Branden Boyd was disappointing in the last album. Glad they've turned it all around and produced one of their best albums this time around :thup:

Firstly, who has heard of them? :lol:

If you have, and is not just a casual fan, what do you think of the new album?

I think it's great. The first single is obviously a hit and one of their bests, but other songs such as 'Rogues' and 'Dig' will also make my favourites list in due course.

Have to say they truly are a unique band that produces unique music. Although one could have said they were similar to the old RHCP, that only applies to their first couple of albums, which had that jazzy-funk element to it. Since then, however, they've come into their own, producing one-of-a-kind music that is truly different to other 'rock' bands out there. The last album was a bit disappointing no matter what the hardcore fanbase says. A new bassist takes time to come into his own and it showed when the main focus was obviously their lead guitarist, Mike Einziger. Even Branden Boyd was disappointing in the last album. Glad they've turned it all around and produced one of their best albums this time around :thup:

In my opinion, Incubus are the best band out there anywhere in rock music at the moment (out of all the post y2k fame). Been a huge fan since Enjoy, FungusAmongus, and obviously Science. Always known they would make it big, and it was only a matter of time.

These guys are fiercely talented musicians, but even better as a band. I was a little worried when they lost Dirk, but Ben Kenny has come in and added something special to the music (excellent singer too). I caught them twice in Toronto last year, and they were out of this world (on one occasion, when they played at the Much Music studio....waited for them outside in -40 windchill for 3 hours before they felt sorry for us...come out to shake hands and have a chat. Really good down to earth guys).

Light Grenades got my vote as album of the year on the other thread, but it seems no one's heard it or even of it. Anna Molly is the best song I've heard all year. You might want to check out Pendulous Threads and Paper Shoes. Excellent stuff.

Oh and by the way....Jose Pasillas III is the best young rock drummer by miles.

I must confess that I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but I was under the distinct impression that they were f***ing shit.

Well that depends on how old you are, and how long you've been listening to them. I can't see it from the newcomer's view, as I have literally been following them since '95 when they were but pimply-faced teens. I see the evolution of their music, and know what they were all about, and what they're all about now. Absolutely fantastic.

Also depends what music you're into in general. Oh, and what have you heard of theirs which you thought was shit? Maybe the radio stuff isn't what you should be listening to. Either way...fuck radio. I hate radio.  :lol:

Guest Gemmill

I couldn't tell you song names mate.  I've just heard some stuff that could best be described as "white noise with drums".  I'm probably just not into that sort of stuff.

I couldn't tell you song names mate.  I've just heard some stuff that could best be described as "white noise with drums".  I'm probably just not into that sort of stuff.

Fair enough then. Although Incubus certainly is anything but white noise with drums  :lol:

S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is the best full-length album of all time in my opinion  :cool:

I must confess that I haven't heard a lot of their stuff, but I was under the distinct impression that they were f***ing shit.

Well that depends on how old you are, and how long you've been listening to them. I can't see it from the newcomer's view, as I have literally been following them since '95 when they were but pimply-faced teens. I see the evolution of their music, and know what they were all about, and what they're all about now. Absolutely fantastic.

Also depends what music you're into in general. Oh, and what have you heard of theirs which you thought was shit? Maybe the radio stuff isn't what you should be listening to. Either way...fuck radio. I hate radio.  :lol:

blueyes.gif

The radio is just shit. They play mainstream crap (yes, I'm stating the obvious) that just sucks balls. I started following Incubus about the time that they released Morning View/Make Yourself. Sometime in the middle of the release of those two albums. Been following them since then. Went to their concert a few years back and they're the best live band I've seen. Period. They are really awesome and are paving their own way in the 'rock' genre. Certainly not playing mainstream stuff nor being a copy-cat band like so many emo/punk-rock bands out there.

Cos its shit.

Load of bollocks that statement is.

No. Really, Chez is right. It is shit.

Cos its shit.

Load of bollocks that statement is.

No. Really, Chez is right. It is shit.

Right. Well I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument about what is or isn't shit.

I can tell you though...that you're talking mucho bollocks mi amigo.

Guest makemeacupoftea

Oh dear why start this thread when im here!

Ventura recognise my username?

From Pendulous Threads the best song ive ever heard :D

Also, Dig, Rogues, D&C and LG are all class. The whole album is class

my favourite album is Morning View but Light Grenades is just behind. I saw them live in November at London, and im going to see them in Nottingham in April :)

WOOOOOOO

I have Drive and Are You In, thats it. Both good songs though.

Radio stuff.

Get:

Idiot Box

Clean

Vitamin

Just a Phase

Version

Aswethinkweiz

Echo

The Warmth

Beware Criminal

Megalomaniac

Sick Sad Little World

Pistola

Priceless

Stellar

Anti-gravity Love Song

and off the new one: Pendulous Threads, Anna Molly, and Paper Shoes are a must.

There is some seriously amazing music in there, and I've missed out lots more.

Guest Gemmill

Fuck me, some bloke just came into my office and stood for 10 minutes telling me what an "awesome" time he had at the Iron Maiden concert.  How long did he expect me to stifle my laughter for ffs??

Love the new album, far better than the previous 2.

Can't compare them though. All different directions in my view.

Personally, none of their albums have disappointed. Loved every single one. Can't even think of a "bad" song they've done, and that includes all the shite for the radio.

Personally, none of their albums have disappointed. Loved every single one. Can't even think of a "bad" song they've done, and that includes all the shite for the radio.

Of course you can compare them. Admittedly they have a musically and creativally varied back catalogue but not to the extent that one can't compare one to the other.

Of course you can compare them. Admittedly they have a musically and creativally varied back catalogue but not to the extent that one can't compare one to the other.

I meant that I personally cant compare them  tongue.gif

Guest Gemmill

What sort of music do you like Gemmill?

Bands.  Loads of stuff.  I don't tend to listen to music all that often though tbh.  I'm not allowed to at work.  bluebigrazz.gif

I meant that I personally cant compare them  tongue.gif

Oh come on, surely there's one album you prefer over the other. Do you really think Fungus Amongus is as good as SCIENCE?

Crow was definitely a let-down even though Megalomaniac is probably one of the best live songs out there, especially to open a concert. LG is really different and I like it. Anna Molly has quick catchy riffs that we've been used to and even though the lyrics to Dig and Love Hurts (and the songs themselves) made me cringe a bit, I'm sold and think both are great songs :)

too many ballads on this new album for my liking in all honesty, Dig isnt the type of thing i listen to Incubus for...not a bad album, but...meh...

my fave albums (that i have) are morning view and make yourself, followed by S.C.I.E.N.C.E. then a crow left of a murder.

i like the focus on singing and guitars in make yourself, probably alot more mainstream, but its what i like when listening to incubus, I dont really like the emphasis on Bass and samples on S.C.I.E.N.C.E.

still an excellent band though, in my opinion.