Toon line up top targets

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Link

Glenn Roeder will break off his preparations for tomorrow's Carling Cup quarter-final with Chelsea to discuss Newcastle United's January transfer targets with chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Shepherd revealed to the Chronicle, before he went into today's annual general meeting in London's Threadneedle Street, that he would be meeting Roeder at St James' Park tomorrow.

Shepherd told me: "Glenn and myself have already had preliminary discussions but we will probably decide tomorrow just who we can or cannot bring to St James' Park in the January transfer window."

There will be all sorts of figures bandied around about just how much Roeder will have to spend but this is something Shepherd will not reveal.

However, Shepherd did add: "Whatever people may or may not say about Newcastle United, we have always done our best for our manager and we will do what we can for Glenn Roeder."

Roeder only spent £15m in the summer on Oba Martins and Damien Duff, but he also clawed back around £5m for Jean Alain Boumsong and Amady Faye.

But United will only get the full £2.5m they paid to Portsmouth for Faye when the Senegalese international plays 60 games for Charlton, and it looks as though this will take some time after Faye was first booed by his own fans and then substituted by his manager Les Reed in Saturday's defeat by Liverpool at the Valley.

Roeder is certainly not expecting the world after his predecessor Graeme Souness splashed out £50m on players in his 17 months at St James', including £20m wasted on Boumsong and Albert Luque.

Roeder had his scouts out in Europe over the weekend and, after his own fruitless trip to Holland a couple of weeks ago, I gather there was more encouraging news on the transfer front for the United boss.

He said today: "Of all the chairman I have worked for not one has ever told me how much money was available to spend because they know I will have spent the lot."

With Seppe Rossi going back to Manchester United after United's game with Everton at Goodison Park on December 30, Roeder knows that he has to act quickly bring in a new striker.

And with Celestine Babayaro so unreliable because of injuries and suspensions and Olivier Bernard not going to resurrect his United career, Roeder is almost as desperate for a left-back.

United were linked with West Brom's 28-year-old left-back Paul Robinson over the weekend, and Roeder's No 2 Nigel Pearson will know all about the former Watford player from his time at The Hawthorns.

But it seems as though they have come to the conclusion that he is just short of what is required for the Premiership.

The same applies to another player United were linked with over the weekend, Gillingham winger Matt Jarvis.

And United will not be going back for players they tried to sign in the summer, like Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka and Fulham defender Zat Knight.

Reports linking United with their former defender Manchester City's Sylvain Distin are not correct.

Guest Gemmill

Isn't this sort of thing normally reserved for the last day of the transfer window?  Getting a bit ahead of themselves, aren't they??

Guest shaun11177

How the hell will Roeder know who he can bring in if he doesnt have a transfer budget?.How does he know what quality he can target?

There is no point scouting a 10m striker if you find out 2 weeks before the window opens you only have 5m to spend.

The way we do transfers is a complete joke.

what's with this zat f***ing knight business - hopefully a load of bollocks

left back please!!!

Do you even read the article?

It clearly says that we will not be going after our old targets eg Zat Knight, who we were close to getting in the summer. So clearly by this article it seems we will not be going after him.

It also seems from the article that we will be going for a left back so just relax.

People on this forum are so kneejerk about this. Do you really think Glenn is going to go into the meeting with no idea who he is going to sign, I presume he'll go in with a list of players and Shepherd will tell whether based on the money the club has whether they are viable options or not.

As for the budget I imagine he will have some idea of what he has got.

Guest shaun11177

Nothing knee jerk about it at all,if the transfer policy worked we wouldnt have had 6 defenders to start this season with.

Guest Gemmill

Based on the fact that since the transfer window was introduced we've repeatedly failed to operate effectively within its confines, I certainly won't be expecting us to make any better fist of it this time.  I'd like to think we'll have learnt from our mistakes, but when did we ever do that at this club?

We'll see, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we don't fuck this up tbh.  And anyone having a go at the people approaching this window with trepidation needs to have a word with themselves tbh.

We need a left back and a striker in at the very least. We are desperate for a right back, but i'd be happy to keep Nobby there as a stop gap. I doubt we will bring in a centre back until the summer like. We are desperate for players in most areas but the question is which positions are we most critical in.

We're not desperate for a right-back. Nobby is excellent there, Taylor usually performs there and i've been encouraged by Huntington. Then there's Carr aswell.

Babayaro and Ramage are both shite at left-back. We're desperate for one of them, not a right-back.

Guest Imperio

Good news that we won't be going after Knight or Viduka.

A left-back has to be priority, cant see us getting any more than that and maybe a striker on loan or on the cheap.

Roeder is certainly not expecting the world after his predecessor Graeme Souness splashed out £50m on players in his 17 months at St James', including £20m wasted on Boumsong and Albert Luque

The £16m spent on Owen has been just as big a waste of money.

what's with this zat f***ing knight business - hopefully a load of bollocks

left back please!!!

Do you even read the article?

It clearly says that we will not be going after our old targets eg Zat Knight, who we were close to getting in the summer. So clearly by this article it seems we will not be going after him.

It also seems from the article that we will be going for a left back so just relax.

oops  :roll:

sorry - i've just been so frustrated by that particular rumour that i got a bit ahead of myself there!

I imagine we'll be going for a target man who can hold the ball up. Considering the players possibly available:

Fanny Jeffers!

Kevin Davies  :wullie:

Marcus Bent

James "The Blob" Beattie

Peter Crouch???

Massimo Maccarone (i think this could be a real possibilty, not that i rate him mind)

Carlton Cole

Bobby Zamora

Hardly an inspiring selection.

I imagine we'll be going for a target man who can hold the ball up. Considering the players possibly available:

Fanny Jeffers!

Kevin Davies :wullie:

Marcus Bent

James "The Blob" Beattie

Peter Crouch???

Massimo Maccarone (i think this could be a real possibilty, not that i rate him mind)

Carlton Cole

Bobby Zamora

Hardly an inspiring selection.

thought you rated zamora?! :lol:

Guest Knightrider

I can see us going for Crouch at the right price and thinking about it, I think he and Martins could be quite a decent partnership and on Roeder's behalf, it would show a forward thinking aproach as Owen and Crouch is quite an effective partnership too, at international level anyway. I'd rather we didn't spend what I imagine will be over 5m on Crouch or sign that type of player but he's a good player to have around.

I can see us going for Crouch at the right price and thinking about it, I think he and Martins could be quite a decent partnership and on Roeder's behalf, it would show a forward thinking aproach as Owen and Crouch is quite an effective partnership too, at international level anyway. I'd rather we didn't spend what I imagine will be over 5m on Crouch or sign that type of player but he's a good player to have around.

Agree. It wouldn't be what we need, still it'd be a decent signing. Similar to the Duff-signing.