Man banned for life

Nobby

Toon race lout shame

Dec 19 2006

By The Evening Chronicle

This Toon season ticket-holder is today exposed as a racist yob. Steven Newman chanted hate-filled songs about black players during a recent Magpies home game.

But now the 38-year-old factory worker faces a ban from every ground in the country after families sitting nearby bravely shopped the lout.

And we can reveal Newman's racist rant is the latest in a recent spate of incidents inside St James' Park to be reported to Northumbria Police.

Today, officers vowed to continue to stamp racism out of football as anti-fascist groups branded Newman an "idiot".

Newcastle Magistrates' Court heard how Newman, of Beadnell Avenue, North Shields, was arrested after being heard chanting: "Zigga-zigga, shoot the n*****, up the National Front" during Newcastle United's clash with Portsmouth on November 26.

After being locked up, he made further racist comments to officers.

Newman admitted charges of racially-aggravated harassment and being drunk in a sports ground. Northumbria Police applied to have a football banning order imposed on him.

The case was adjourned for the application and the sentence to be imposed on Newman to be considered.

And it has emerged there have been a number of incidents of racist chanting inside the ground in recent weeks.

Speaking at Newman's hearing at Newcastle Magistrates' Court, Sgt Andy Cross said: "In relation to the banning order, I would like to point to the fact that we have had two similar incidents where people have been using foul and abusive and racist language.

"On both occasions it has resulted in spontaneous disorder between Newcastle supporters among themselves.

"There are two reasons for applying for a banning order. One is for hooligans who are involved in organised violence.

"The other reason is to prevent exactly this type of situation, where there's spontaneous disorder occurring. This season, at the Sheffield United game and the Fulham game, Newcastle fans have reacted badly to people in the crowd because of their foul language and their racist language.

"In my experience in being involved in football work since 1993, incidents of drunkenness and racist behaviour are a primary factor in causing disorder."

A spokesman for Whitley Bay-based charity Show Racism the Red Card said: "First of all, it's great that the supporters themselves have acted and this person was arrested.

"It just shows the change in climate that people feel comfortable in St James' Park to report racist incidents.

"This is an extreme example of racism, where someone is not only a racist, but by the sounds of things a member of supporter of a fascist organisation.

"The club has been very, very good in terms of advertising their stance on racism and I would call on this individual to be banned for life to make sure he doesn't get in again."

Mike Hartman, spokesman for the Tyne and Wear Anti-Fascist Association, said: "We've come a long way since the days when National Front supporters were able to peddle their racist trash openly around the football ground.

"The fact that this idiot was reported and dealt with quickly and successfully demonstrates the broad agreement among the authorities and the vast majority of football fans that racism has no place in football."

A Newcastle United spokesman said the club was unable to comment on whether Newman will keep his season ticket until after the next court hearing.

He added: "Newcastle Untied fans have a great reputation at home and abroad. We will not condone any form of racist behaviour."

Chronicle link

Guest TheOrder

Factory worker shows what kind of background he comes from. He looks like a c*** aswell probably had bit too many Dohnuts.

Pardon? Being a factory worker means your less of a person than yourself and others?

Hardly. Grow up ffs.

Guest Geordiesned

Interesting that they site racist chants being behind trouble at the Sheffield United game. The only crowd trouble I witnessed then was when stewards tried to eject fans for telling Shepherd what they thought of him.

Surely "Fuck off you fat cunt" is in no way racist?!

Guest Deep456

Factory worker shows what kind of background he comes from. He looks like a c*** aswell probably had bit too many Dohnuts.

Pardon? Being a factory worker means your less of a person than yourself and others?

Hardly. Grow up ffs. Don't be shallow like me.

I am im 13 now.  :lol: Im excercising the point all the racist f*cks are working class people who are jealous of Asians and Blacks getting better jobs.  In this case black footballers. :roll:

I am im 13 now.  :lol: Im excercising the point all the racist f*cks are working class people who are jealous of Asians and Blacks getting better jobs.  In this case black footballers. :roll:

Racists come from all clases mate! Infact you see these real upperclass families (there was even a show on some lord of something a while back) and they are racist as fuck!

Nigger is just short for Nigerian, so he was just being accurate.  Saying shoot niggers is no different from calling someone fat or ginger really.  :winking:

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/upl/icnewcastle/dec2006/4/3/9AD58721-937B-9EC8-C81A87B92A36E13E.jpg

See what he means like, wouldn't want mongrel races coming over and tainting the pure blood of master race members like this fine specemin.

Guest TheOrder

Right, I would consider this forum as 'working class' to be honest.

I have a decent job, but I'm still a working class male, born and bred in North Shields.

Does that make the board racist? Does that make me racist?

Does it fuck.

Zigga-zigga?

The thought of a grown man shouting that. :lol:

Did he go ?

"I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigga zigga"

That would have been worth a ban without the racist stuff!