Guest Knightrider

And does mankind need religion...  

66 members have voted

1. 1. And does mankind need religion...

• Aye
    • No
    • I don't care

Guest Knightrider

My own views are pretty strong, I think it is a load of old bollocks (although I respect people's rights to believe and follow whatever they desire (so long as they don't force their views on me!)) and the sooner man ditches religion, the better for all. That's how I stand on the issue, how about you?

Vote, discuss etc.

PS To those who don't share my views, who believe religion is important to mankind (forget individualy), can you tell me what benefits it serves to mankind as a whole?

I think its of benefit to some, for some the world is a hard existence, people need something to cling onto - something to believe in. I think some people believe in themselves and the people around them whereas others seek this belief from elsewhere. Religions give them the rules that they want to follow and in a lot of ways this can be good as a lot of religions  teach good things. I don't think its possible for mankind to ditch religion. As long as people know what it is it will exist. If mankind started again tommorow afresh i still think over time the human race would create religions.

Maybe its the way I was brought up but i just cannot believe how people can believe the STORY of the bible, in god, jesus and all that b*llocks!

Same goes for other religions, who can adults believe this crap?

There we go, may have offended some now  bluebiggrin.gif

Guest Knightrider

I think its of benefit to some, for some the world is a hard existence, people need something to cling onto - something to believe in. I think some people believe in themselves and the people around them whereas others seek this belief from elsewhere. Religions give them the rules that they want to follow and in a lot of ways this can be good as a lot of religions  teach good things. I don't think its possible for mankind to ditch religion. As long as people know what it is it will exist. If mankind started again tommorow afresh i still think over time the human race would create religions.

Now for individuals, I can understand and fair enough, but for mankind itself? The human race?

What purpose does religion serve?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Maybe its the way I was brought up but i just cannot believe how people can believe the STORY of the bible, in god, jesus and all that b*llocks!

some people see it as a bit deeper than a 'story' Jon

Guest Invicta_Toon

Now for individuals, I can understand and fair enough, but for mankind itself? The human race?

it's not a need of the human race FFS, it's a need of the human mind

Guest Knightrider

I could accept that if only religion was kept to the mind and not permeate everthing else as is the case.

Guest Knightrider

whats with the question marks after each poll answer?

The bigger question is who lets this HTT fella have access to the internet.

BT

Aye thats the problem, at what stage does Santa become any less real than God?

Guest Invicta_Toon

Aye thats the problem, at what stage does Santa become any less real than God?

it's all in the mind Jon

kids are so shallow these days  bluesigh.gif

Guest optimistic nit

i got a shock a while back when i realised that there were people i knew who believed in god and everything (but then i am at a jesuit school, so i should have figured really ;) ). it is actually quite easy i reckon to believe and the bible and everything.

I do not doubt that the comforts of religion could be used elsewhere.

The world is undoubtedly a horrible place sometimes but theres little point in fooling people into thinking things will get better in another life. If we used only half of that energy and the Church's resources we could attempt to make life in this world (the only shot we get) a lot better for a lot more people.

Aye thats pretty much what i mean, it's a need of the human soul. The human race doesnt need it but it will always have it because certain people need it to be there to make their life worthwhile. I guess the purpose religion serves is to help people get from birth to death by always having something to believe in. Not everyone needs religion obviously to do this but i suppose these people do.

No, is the simple answer.

Plenty of people have perfectly happy and useful lives free from religion, even the majority of those who actually claim they are religious never actually do anything about it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people who need religion to get them through the day and are dependent upon it's influence over their live. The same thing can be said about skag of course, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

No, is the simple answer.

Plenty of people have perfectly happy and useful lives free from religion, even the majority of those who actually claim they are religious never actually do anything about it.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people who need religion to get them through the day and are dependent upon it's influence over their live. The same thing can be said about skag of course, I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

A lot of people of people don't have football, music, film, art, stamps, running......whatever in their lives, but those things are quite important to others.  No-one wants them wiped out though.  Just the atheists want religion wiped out.  It seems a very angry and selfish stance to me.