ID costs estimated at £ 5.4 billion for starters

Rob W

Would you have the balls to say no to an ID card, even if it meant a fine and possibly prison?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have the balls to say no to an ID card, even if it meant a fine and possibly prison?

• Yes definately.
    • Possibly, but it would depend upon how many other people did.
    • I'm against them but I'm not prepared to risk anything to stop them.
    • I don't care either way.
    • I support them.

Home office reveals ID cards cost

Sample UK identity card

The ID card scheme will be introduced 'rapidly'

The UK's national identity card scheme will cost £5.4bn to set up and run over the next 10 years, the Home Office has revealed.

It is the first time the government has set out a total cost for the controversial project.

Ministers claim the scheme will help clamp down on illegal immigration and fight terrorism.

But the Tories and Lib Dems say it is a costly infringement of civil liberties which should be scrapped.

Home office minister Liam Byrne confirmed ID cards would be introduced "rapidly", starting with biometric cards, which include fingerprints and facial images, for foreign nationals in 2008.

Speaking at the Institute of Public Policy Research (IPPR), Mr Byrne said combating illegal immigration was at the centre of the ID card scheme.

"Illegal working will become far more difficult as the National Identity Scheme is rolled out," he said.

"Any employer would be able to check a person's unique reference number against registered information about their identity to find out whether someone is eligible to work in the UK.

"ID cards will give us a powerful tool to combat identity fraud which underpins organised crime, terrorism and abuse of the immigration system.

"ID cards will also help transform the delivery of public services to the citizen, making interactions swifter, more reliable and more secure and helping to reduce costs by eliminating wasteful duplication of effort," sai

Home office minister Liam Byrne confirmed ID cards would be introduced "rapidly", starting with biometric cards, which include fingerprints and facial images, for foreign nationals in 2008.

ID cards will give us a powerful tool to combat identity fraud which underpins organised crime, terrorism and abuse of the immigration system.

Forgive my igonrance, but how many foreign nationals have commited acts of terrorism in the UK in the past 10 years?

Wel lif the estimate ids £ 5.4 billion Govt form would suggest we're looking at £20 Bn eventually

we ould have a new Nuclear deterrrent for that sort of cash

I see it being an early casualty of Mr Brown's premiership

But the Tories and Lib Dems say it is a costly infringement of civil liberties which should be scrapped.

Now, I'm a dirty foreigner and therefore ignorant of the situation, but since when do the Conservatives give a flying fuck about civil liberties?

Indi,

I was caught out registering a new company....End of form no 3: eye colour, mothers maiden name...etc..etc..

Nothing I could do man...Still not the full biometric. bluesigh.gif

Well you can get some bionic eyes I suppose, but the mother'll have to go I'm afraid.

It'll stop terrorism in its tracks. Surely worth it, get it done, fast.

How?

All the guys who blew themselves up in London did it in their own names FFS  as did the Saudis at 9/11

They'd all have had ID cards no problem

Guest Gemmill

Setting aside the expense of administrating the whole thing, what exactly is the problem that people have with having an ID card?  Infringement of civil liberties my arse, it's just a card ffs.

It depends how you see the role of the state Gemmill. Does the state have the right to know everything about us including all our financial and health data? Aren't we more than just taggable cattle?

Guest Gemmill

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest Parky.  If they really wanted to know this stuff about you they could find it out anyway.