Gumtree experiences?

kingkerouac

Just wondered if anyone has had a negative experience with Gumtree.

I have to admit, I feel like one of those pensioners on the TV after being scammed on their 'PC' on the inter web - 'He seemed like such a lovely fella'.

I bought an old Squire Telecaster (for a project) 2nd hand in good faith off a guy from south London.

He asked me to pay through his Bank account, and provided his Sort Code and Account number - which I thought was a sign it was all above board.

The next day, I contacted the guy to find out about delivery. He said that he would be too busy to post Friday or Saturday, but would 'Definitely' post Monday or Tuesday.

He didn't...

So I contacted the guy yesterday, and he said he was sick, so he couldn't get out to post the guitar.

So I said well can I come to your address to pick up.

No, he didn't feel comfortable...

So I asked about a meet up at a place of his choice.

No, he didn't feel comfortable...

Then he said he would 'try' to post at the end of the week.

Then he said if I wasn't happy with this, he would refund me, but not until the 28th, as he'd spent the money I transferred to him already.

Obviously I said no. He then said that because I paid by bank transfer, I wasn't actually entitled to a refund!

I then pointed out that he had actually insisted I pay by bank transfer.

Then, he says that actually he doesn't want to sell the guitar anymore, and I will have to wait until the end of the month for a refund.

At this point, I gave up and contacted Gumtree and the police.

Apparently, this is a common scam, they offer something for sale, for under £100, then when they get the dosh transferred, they stall and make excuses, hopefully until the buyer get sick of chasing and just gives up.

Apparently this guy has had the guitar on sale since December, with numerous buyers lined up, then not lined up.

The bank tells me that it will be up to his bank whether they regard it as fraud - in which case I'll recover my money, or a misunderstanding, in which case, he'll get till the end of the month to pay me back.

I will never us Gumtree again, it's just an open field for thieves.

Anyone had similar a experience?

Guest firetotheworks

Not had a similar experience because you can normally tell, but had plenty trying to scam me when I've been selling, same thing with eBay.

If you're ever going to pay for anything online on Gumtree, use PayPal goods and services. Never ever pay for anything any other way. Asking for trouble.

Had a fella try and scam me for my Switch not so long ago. It looked so genuine right until the end. All I was thinking was how many people he'll have actually caught out with it.

Used to use Gumtree for looking for accommodation when i was in London. alot were a scams of some sort - people wanting a deposit paid to ensure that we weren't messing around then they'd come to show us the house (invariably they lived in another city)

i'd avoid that site like the plague. as Froggy said - if you do use Paypal. (obviously this does not help you in any way shape or form)

The Gumtree support were uniformly useless/ apathetic.

Yeah, this is what comes of wanting a quick purchase.

As soon as I'd paid the guy, all of my colleagues were telling me I shouldn't have paid him through a bank transfer.

Obviously it was too late by then.

He's just messaged me this morning to tell me he wants to transfer the money back to my PayPal account as his bank has blocked his card due to my reporting it to my bank.

He said he would be doing it shortly at 10.30 but then nothing happened.

Everything this guy says is a lie. He is unbelievably bad at it too.

A lesson learned...

Sounds like you've been Corrado'd..

http://www.hammersmithtoday.co.uk/shared/hfcrime210a.htm

Used to live with this genius. Absolutely fucking loved the bugle.

:lol::lol: Fucking hell. I remember him.

:lol: It's fair to say he lost his way a bit. Just Cocaine debt. Effectively robbed 10k off another lad you'll have met when down as well.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07983416580 Give him a call, KK.

I'm surprised he's even responding at all. If he was a scammer you'd never hear from him.

This morning he messages me to tell me his card's been frozen because of me reporting him to hi bank.

Then again asks for my sort code and account number to transfer the cash - which he suddenly has.

I told him pay me through PayPal or nothing.

And as of 30 minutes ago, he has done.

So I've contacted all of the parties involved and called off the dogs.

Mind you, I will keep an eye on Gumtree. If he reposts the guitar, I'll report him to stop some other poor bastard getting caught out.

Sounds like you've been Corrado'd..

http://www.hammersmithtoday.co.uk/shared/hfcrime210a.htm

Used to live with this genius. Absolutely fucking loved the bugle.

:lol::lol: Fucking hell. I remember him.

:lol: It's fair to say he lost his way a bit. Just Cocaine debt. Effectively robbed 10k off another lad you'll have met when down as well.

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/07983416580 Give him a call, KK.

:lol: 'kin hell. Don't use your real name man.