Newcastle United 0-1 Crystal Palace - Sat 06/04/19 - Match Thread

Big Geordie

Would it be racist if you called someone a cheeky monkey?

If they were black, yes.

But it wouldn't be, and I think that's the point jackyboy was making.

When I was a kid it was quite common for adults to call kids cheeky monkeys. That has literally zero reference to creed or colour.

In this PC world, which has already gone too far and is only getting worse, words take on a power they were never intended to have.

It is all about the PC brigade projecting their tiny minds onto the whole of society. Just like draconian measures coming into place that affect all of us when they were drafted in response to the actions of a few.

Never believe you live in a democracy, it has always been minority rule.

Aye, but this isnt the 70's or 80's any more.

its still ok to call your own kid a cheeky monkey but thats where it stops.

Guest firetotheworks

If they were black, yes.

When I was a kid it was quite common for adults to call kids cheeky monkeys. That has literally zero reference to creed or colour.

In this PC world, which has already gone too far and is only getting worse, words take on a power they were never intended to have.

It is all about the PC brigade projecting their tiny minds onto the whole of society. Just like draconian measures coming into place that affect all of us when they were drafted in response to the actions of a few.

I don't know why this point has to keep being made whenever this nonsense comes up, but your definition of a word or an expression from years ago means nothing in the wider world because language evolves based on its usage and your own usage isn't how the world receives it. E.g. Using the word Paki in Australia would be fine, but here it's a slur because it was widely used as a slur and therefore if you use that word here, people are going to assume that 1. You're not ignorant enough to not know it's a slur and 2. Must therefore either mean it as a slur or are more interested in stubbornly preserving your use of a word over the impact that has in the wider world. The same applies with this example.

It's each person's responsibility to keep up to date with the changing world, not the other way around. No one in their right mind is going to ever think it's truthful anyway because at least in this case anyway, you'd have to be completely gullible, completely ignorant, or completely brain-dead to ever think the use of the word 'monkey' when referring to a black person refers to 'cheeky monkey', when its use as a slur against black people isn't even remotely a part of the modern PC world you seem to think it can be filed under.

Guest Howaythetoon

Another day and we get 1 or all 3 points. Lots of positives, but lots of negatives that critically underline the key areas that we require major investment in - midfield. You are the weakest link... see you next season!

Guest NobbyOhNobby

If they were black, yes.

You're totally missing the point. If you don't understand the potential issue with calling a black person a monkey - irrespective of the context - then I'm afraid you need to have a serious look at yourself. It's completely inappropriate. Not because I'm from the PC brigade, but because you'd be using a historically and currently used racial slur. I'm a little shocked to have seen any comments like these, and from a few others. The conversation should be about how abhorrent the abuse directed at Zaha was, not about how the 'PC World' is changing what words mean. I think you'll find it's massive racists who've changed what words mean and how they should and shouldn't be used

Pretty sure anyone who uses the term PC Brigade unironically immediately invalidates their argument.

Why are you surprised by the correlation between using alt-right buzzwords and ignorance of racially unacceptable terms?

If they were black, yes.

Which store? Not Silverlink I hope. Used to be a real man stronghold, loads of top lads who loved RAM and ergonomic  keyboards.

:lol:

I don't think 'cheeky monkey' should be considered in the same bracket as 'cheating monkey'. Cheeky monkey is 100% not a racist remark. I like to imagine it's a phrase that is used by black parents, without concern. I'd hate to give them reason to be concerned over such an innocent phrase.

Now somebody will probably prove that it was originally a nickname for the little boys that were raped by their colonial masters.

"Cheeky monkey" isn't racist when used in jest to kids as a term of endearment for family members, friends, kids you know, etc.

"Cheeky monkey" is in highly likely to be a sly racist dig when it's a presumably white adult male calling a black footballer who he has no connection to that (nor is this a kid, it's a nigh on 6 foot powerful athlete). The context of course being the whole retarded "blacks are apes/monkeys and not humans" ideology that the alt right/white supremacists believe in to the extent that there's dedicated websites for this kind of retardation. The timing of such a tweet is very relevant too, i.e. when monkey chants from racist football fans in a few European countries have been hitting the national and international headlines in recent weeks on a daily basis almost.

If they were black, yes.

You're totally missing the point. If you don't understand the potential issue with calling a black person a monkey - irrespective of the context - then I'm afraid you need to have a serious look at yourself. It's completely inappropriate.

:lol: Of course I understand, and it is completely inappropriate.

I was simply trying to argue that the phrase "cheeky monkey" wasn't racist and that other people project meaning onto otherwise casual statements.

Like Beardsley, did he mean athletes or is he coming out of the 'I'm a racist' wardrobe.

Cheeky monkey isn't racist but as others were quick to point out it would be monumentally stupid to use it as a phrase to a black person.

Guest Howaythetoon

A women once referred to my boys as cheeky monkies and then said “eeh, I hope you don’t think I was being racist”, angry at the possible inference I smacked her across the head with a hammer before retorting quite wittily I thought “eeh, I hope you don’t think I was being violent”

Anyway it went to court and the judge ruled we were both “fucking spackers” and wasting taxpayers money. Some disabled bloke in the crowd said “eeh, you can’t say that man” so he got thrown out much to the cheer of a few PC world employees who were also in court that day accused of sexual harassment after asking a women how much RAM she would like. We all learned something that day I’d like to think.

Me, leave monkies out of it!

I can take losing against Palace at home in a game we were the better team. I can take losing to that penalty against most teams in the league. What pisses me off is that Crystal fucking Palace win another game from a soft-ish penalty, in a game when that's their only shot on target. 10 penalties scored this season by Milivojevic is fucking ridiculous, and it would have been similar numbers last season as well. Absolutely rank losing to a team which main attacking threat is hoping to get a penalty, both because we should be more careful in our box but also because that tactic is about as minging as the Pulis long throw and that refs keep buying it.

They get a lot of penalties because they have players like Zaha and Townsend who run at teams with pace and trickery. We have Almiron now so maybe we'll get more next season. It would be nice if we had someone similar on the other wing tbh.

Man City has 4 in the league this season, Chelsea 5 and Liverpool 6. They get a lot of penalties because they play for getting them. They've been awarded 21 penalties in the last two seasons, wonder how far back you'd have to go to for us to get that many?

Exactly. Diving, whinging, cheating twats.

"Cheeky monkey" isn't racist when used in jest to kids as a term of endearment for family members, friends, kids you know, etc.

"Cheeky monkey" is in highly likely to be a sly racist dig when it's a presumably white adult male calling a black footballer who he has no connection to that (nor is this a kid, it's a nigh on 6 foot powerful athlete). The context of course being the whole retarded "blacks are apes/monkeys and not humans" ideology that the alt right/white supremacists believe in to the extent that there's dedicated websites for this kind of retardation. The timing of such a tweet is very relevant too, i.e. when monkey chants from racist football fans in a few European countries have been hitting the national and international headlines in recent weeks on a daily basis almost.

Nobody called Zaha a 'cheeky monkey'. They called him a 'cheating monkey', which unquestionably racist.