Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

What is it now, nearly £900m in TV money coming into the club over the last 12 years? So this "good businessman" has made us so expensive to run that it's all been used on running costs?

Does it cost £75m a year to run a football club? This is ignoring advertising, marketing, ticket sales, prize money (cough) of course. But no, the money hasn't "gone anywhere" has it Mike.

I mentioned this a few weeks ago, but compared to other Premier League clubs Newcastle has a small number of staff running the club so the money isn't going there.

We don't spend a lot in transfers or wages.

We haven't spent it on training ground improvements and the academy.

We haven't spent much on stadium improvements.

The only conclusion I can make is that Ashley is taking money to spend on other projects outside Newcastle. Some people might say that is just a conspiracy, but we all know from Ashley's recent actions at Sports Direct that he plays by his own rules.

This is the 19th richest club in the world. Even if its just a case of running the club by its own means there should be more than enough money to spend big without having to sell our best players and also make improvements to the training ground and academy. The club can spend big when it wants to when they are either desperate to avoid relegation or need to do some pr to take negative attention away from them. Ashley chooses to run the club this way not out of necessity.

The club just continues to plead poverty despite earning millions every year. All Ashley does is talk the club down yet never makes any effort to elevate itself to a higher level.

https://www.football365.com/news/mike-ashley-and-newcastle-the-punditry-silence-is-deafening

Good piece, he's written a few decent pieces recently on the club.

Good piece but I dont think its a big mystery whats going on.

To me there seem to be to types here.

1) The obvious trolls like Richard Keys or Talksport who just try to make ludicrous claims to get a reaction/clicks/views/callers what ever.

2) The ones who have it in their best interest to keep a steady interest in every day events at the football club for business reasons. Who's fit for Saturday, what did Jonjo eat for breakfast today etc. These are the ones who tow the "lets move on and focus on football" line like the local papers.

The whole of Newcastle boycotting the football club isnt good business for anyone in the media.

:thup: Do agree but I think there's a 3rd type personally - people within the football media who have always hated Newcastle, who begrudged us having one of the best teams around in the 90s and 00s, who are delighted to see us back "in our place" now and therefore talk Ashley up or play his disastrous ownership down at every opportunity.  They want us to fail and Ashley is the perfect man to facilitate that.

The 3rd types you refer to have been most instrumental in lowering our expectations. For 10 years our superfans have been turning their noses up at any whiff of ambition. "No wonder they call us deluded." Yeah, god forbid Stan Collymore or Paul Merson thinks we're aiming above our station.

Guest chopey

The 3rd type is definitely Jason Cundy on Talksport he has admitted he has always hated Newcastle and does his best to show it.

However Adrian Durham called me out on twitter the other week (he actually contributed personally to wor flags for the surfers) and he wants the team to do well and has called for fans to back Bruce for he 100% wants rid of Ashley, I'm not sure why but he genuinely wants what's best for Newcastle.

https://www.football365.com/news/mike-ashley-and-newcastle-the-punditry-silence-is-deafening

1) The obvious trolls like Richard Keys or Talksport who just try to make ludicrous claims to get a reaction/clicks/views/callers what ever.

2) The ones who have it in their best interest to keep a steady interest in every day events at the football club for business reasons. Who's fit for Saturday, what did Jonjo eat for breakfast today etc. These are the ones who tow the "lets move on and focus on football" line like the local papers.

The whole of Newcastle boycotting the football club isnt good business for anyone in the media.

:thup: Do agree but I think there's a 3rd type personally - people within the football media who have always hated Newcastle, who begrudged us having one of the best teams around in the 90s and 00s, who are delighted to see us back "in our place" now and therefore talk Ashley up or play his disastrous ownership down at every opportunity.  They want us to fail and Ashley is the perfect man to facilitate that.

Can't say I agree with that like, we were absolutely loved by the neutrals and the pundits during both Keegan's first stint and during peak Sir Bobby.

Why is no one talking about us only spending around 30m net this summer? It's nowhere near enough considering the state of our squad and how tight we've been since coming up, yet everyone seems to be saying how we've "splashed the cash". PR machine in full swing, and loads seems to be falling for it.

Can't say I agree with that like, we were absolutely loved by the neutrals and the pundits during both Keegan's first stint and during peak Sir Bobby.

Hence why many now hate us. They saw the adulation and want us to suffer now. Also being from the Far North doesn’t help.

:thup: Good sides almost always get lavished with praise as we rightly were under Keegan and Robson. Anyone slagging us off during that time would have been slaughtered or ignored. But any time we've dropped from that position the "who the hell do they think they are, expecting success?" narrative starts from pundits with a chip on their shoulder about Newcastle then gets parroted by fans all over the shop.

Ashley is suggesting that he personally put £20M towards Joelinton’s transfer fee, no idea why or how that would be necessary.

The fact that Rafa was unwilling to do the same tells you all you need to know about that man.

Why is no one talking about us only spending around 30m net this summer? It's nowhere near enough considering the state of our squad and how tight we've been since coming up, yet everyone seems to be saying how we've "splashed the cash". PR machine in full swing, and loads seems to be falling for it.

Doesn’t matter to enough people does it? There are fans who wouldn’t accept any amount of spending, Rafa going ruins it all. Then there are ones who accept Bruce and are therefore thick as wall and won’t be worried about the net spend.

£60m + sales (£30m) was the widely reported figure available too. I posted here about it like.

The wider fan base are so conditioned to be grateful to Mike for spending comparatively anything (it’s all his money remember) they’ll never say a bad word.

He has them brainwashed and after 12 years of PR exactly where he wants them.

I don’t think it really requires PR, not to a significant extent anyway. People don’t want to dislike their own club, football fans are conditioned to ‘stick with it’ through hard times.

There is also the 4th - those who are either on or were on the payroll and have some sort of partnership with Fatty.

Dennis Wise and Rio being the main examples, but no doubt there is more. 

Fucking outrageous and people still think he's not behind all the bullshit the club throws out. Wouldn't surprise me if he wrote charnleys notes in the programme.

Think literally everyone knows he's behind the bullshit PR that is put out.

Yeah doesn't Ashley own a large percentage of KBA?

Isn't that money laundering? :lol:

SD pay Newcastle, Newcastle pay KBA, KBA pay Ashley who takes the money back out.

SD benefit from cheap advertising, KBA benefit from a cash injection, Ashley gets paid loads, seems there's only one loser here and as always that's the club.