Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

What I find the strangest is that billionaire's keep being stupid enough to believe Ashley is actually looking to sell. Surely they have an iota of intelligence? Surely they might, you know, contact previous 'failed bidders' and ask them what the craic is? But nope, just an endless procession of fools failing to get Ashley to sell.

Doesn't really add up in the slightest.

Or maybe not everything is played out in the media and known to the general public? There's no doubt that Ashley is a massive prick to deal with but we don't know for certain that he won't sell at any price. Assuming the bid/deal is genuine, I'm pretty sure Staveley would know what it would take to get him to sell, and has informed these potential suitors accordingly.

What do we believe here?

- The club is ostensibly for sale, Mike does enter into negotiations with genuine would be buyers and then breaks it off at the last minute knowing all along that was never going to sell.

- The club is really for sale but Mike just keeps moving the goalposts once negotiations have begun and buyers just get sick of him.

- The club is not for sale at all and there never have been negotiations but Mike has buttered up the media to run these stories.

I see all three of these possibilities thrown about but they're mutually exclusive. It can only be one of them.

I believe its simply - The club isn't for sale and never was.

Said that as far back as Barry Moat but am on the record of going with that one through the last number of fakeovers.

Not being for sale doesn't stop interested parties contacting him.

It really is the only logical explanation for all of this. Everything else feels like a stretch for a reason. It never steered anybody wrong yet.

Even if one day that's wrong it will still be 50-1.

He likes playing people also, Keegan, Shearer, Rafa etc. I believe some have actually tried to buy the club from him (Staveley), some have been pure bullshit (Kenyon and BZG with their love letters to Ashley before disappearing being fairly obvious jokes).

I think there's also a chance he does this to generate interest in the club.

I think he wants to sell provided he can get a great deal and continue to use the club for advertising his brand.

I've got 10 pound coins here, I want to sell them for £20. Do I really want to sell them? No. That's Ashley with this club.

Edit: well actually I would want to sell them for that. but in effect it means I'm not looking to sell. What I mean is the fact he'd sell for well above what something is worth doesn't equal wanting to sell.

To get Ashley to sell the buyer is going to have to out manoeuvre him. Agree to his demands of advertising and club shop so he thinks he's got a great deal. Get the keys to the gaff then cancel the all the contracts and pay whatever he manages to sue for in court.

What do we believe here?

- The club is ostensibly for sale, Mike does enter into negotiations with genuine would be buyers and then breaks it off at the last minute knowing all along that was never going to sell.

- The club is really for sale but Mike just keeps moving the goalposts once negotiations have begun and buyers just get sick of him.

- The club is not for sale at all and there never have been negotiations but Mike has buttered up the media to run these stories.

I see all three of these possibilities thrown about but they're mutually exclusive. It can only be one of them.

I believe its simply - The club isn't for sale and never was.

Said that as far back as Barry Moat but am on the record of going with that one through the last number of fakeovers.

Not being for sale doesn't stop interested parties contacting him.

It really is the only logical explanation for all of this. Everything else feels like a stretch for a reason. It never steered anybody wrong yet.

Even if one day that's wrong it will still be 50-1.

He likes playing people also, Keegan, Shearer, Rafa etc. I believe some have actually tried to buy the club from him (Staveley), some have been pure bullshit (Kenyon and BZG with their love letters to Ashley before disappearing being fairly obvious jokes).

In that case Stavely's involvement might be reason for a bit of optimism.

Ashley has said before that he will only sell the club to someone that has the money to take the club forward.

He is now dealing with Stavely/PCP who got close before, plus one of the richest man in the world and the second richest family in England!

If they aren't able to take the club forward no one is.

And that is compared to Ashley himself, who is taking the club backwards every season.

Just get it done this time!

So lets say he rejects the offer from the trillionaire, a couple billionaires and the lass.  I don't see how he can easily spin it.  When people see this and realise he will never sell there will be at least a couple hundred more season ticket cancellations.

So lets say he rejects the offer from the trillionaire, a couple billionaires and the lass.  I don't see how he can easily spin it.  When people see this and realise he will never sell there will be at least a couple hundred more season ticket cancellations.

I honestly cant see how he could reject it, if it's true obviously. But then again it is Mike Ashley.

Not really surprised that we've heard nowt today. Apart from someone conjecture on who would be chairman and some odd timescales that were seemingly plucked from someones arse - we didn't really learn a lot yesterday either. The whole "other interested" parties line is straight from the Ashley playbook though, bit of disinformation of his own to get his own back for the initial leak. It stinks of going tits up again, we'll hear nowt now until the end of the window and it will all be quietly brushed under the carpet and it'll be business as usual. The Chronicle for me have really shown how far they've sunk with the clickbait they've farted out since the news broke - "Just how rich are the Saudis", "6 things you didnt know about Amanda Stavely" and on and on and on. Lee Ryder is f***ing useless, Mark Douglas doesn't seem a bad bloke or particularly s**** journo either - but for me the local rag should have it's hooks into the inner workings at the club and should serve to cut through the bollocks of the tabloids - they've behaved even worse. It must be very frustrating for someone like Douglas watching Lee Ryder smash his laptop with his arse to churn out some of the absolute f***ing crap that he does and get paid for it.

He doesn't need to spin it. He can say any old shite again and a section of our supporters will believe it and trudge back into SJP for the next home game and then renew their season tickets.

I honestly cant see how he could reject it, if it's true obviously. But then again it is Mike Ashley.

Me neither.  I think it would be more likely he chose to sell to someone like Kenyon and keep his hooks in the club.

He doesn't need to spin it. He can say any old shite again and a section of our supporters will believe it and trudge back into SJP for the next home game and then renew their season tickets.

Plus he can trot out the 'odious Saudi regime' angle, and a fair few will go along with it.

Like many i suspect he wants his cake and eat it.

We should remember how deep his tentacles run into rangers football club , hes still in there now ffs ,  sucking a few million out of the club every now and then.

If anyone thinks the club will be sold as a clean break is sadly mistaken and i would suggest any potential buyers would be fools to accomodate him.

This is the reason i believe the club will never be sold and the reason i want him to die.

Indeed.  He will be the man that blew a sale to the Man City owners, blew a deal with these new guys who will end up buying someone else and we will still keep going and grumbling on internet forums.

We should remember how deep his tentacles run into rangers football club , hes still in there now ffs ,  sucking a few million out of the club every now and then.

If anyone thinks the club will be sold as a clean break is sadly mistaken and i would suggest any potential buyers would be fools to accomodate him.

This is the reason i believe the club will never be sold and the reason i want him to die.

Make it so.

Make it so.

It would be a good early PR move for the Saudis to be honest. Even Amnesty International would let that one fly.

Nitpicking possibly, but surely if it’s down to Ashley wanting to sell, then there’s a disagreement with price? If there’s no disagreement on price then he sells.

Not necessarily price/value but maybe continued sports direct advertising etc