Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

My friend is a Derby fan and I’ve told him, you don’t want Ashley, and he knows as he’s a Toon sympathiser and a top bloke. I wouldn’t wish Ashley on even the mackems. He’s the worst type of owner any club could ever have, we should know, we had 14 years of it!

Derby fans are gonna be happy to get rescued.  But it's basically being scooped from the middle of the English Channel by Hanibal Lecter.  Sure, you're not gonna drown anymore in the short term, but you aren't gonna enjoy that future in the pit.

I can see why they want him but the tags of us being deluded etc are uncalled for.

Just admit that you don’t want your club to go bust and you are prepared to have 15 years of Ashley ownership to prevent that.

The thing is they think he’ll either save them this season or bring them straight back up and then have them competing to get in to the Premier League.

As we know he promised to turn us into a competing force in the Premier League, like we were a few years before his arrival. We all know now that he effectively turned us into a yo-yo team. Derby fans thinking he’ll push them on are mistaken, he might save them financially (which will be paid back to him and be over their head for his entire reign), but from that point on they will just become a Championship club who may or may not spend the odd season in League One.

24 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I can see why they want him but the tags of us being deluded etc are uncalled for.

Just admit that you don’t want your club to go bust and you are prepared to have 15 years of Ashley ownership to prevent that.

The thing is they think he’ll either save them this season or bring them straight back up and then have them competing to get in to the Premier League.

As we know he promised to turn us into a competing force in the Premier League, like we were a few years before his arrival. We all know now that he effectively turned us into a yo-yo team. Derby fans thinking he’ll push them on are mistaken, he might save them financially (which will be paid back to him and be over their head for his entire reign), but from that point on they will just become a Championship club who may or may not spend the odd season in League One.

Well that's what they are anyway. 

Edited by TRon

My favourite post on that Derby forum was this one :lol: 

You know what this might be good, problem is the toon think they should be winning the Prem because they came close 20 years ago, if he could achieve a fraction at Derby what he did for Newcastle (a stable mid-table Premier League club) he would be considered one of our greatest ever owners.”

Ignoring the ridiculously wrong myths about us expecting to win the league. When were we ever a stable mid-table PL club?

Why is the assumption is that he’d elevate them to the level he had us? Everything we know about Ashley’s approach is that he’ll find the club’s natural level, do everything he can to maintain it while insulating himself from any risk. There’s more chance they’ll end up bouncing around the bottom of the Championship.

34 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

As others have said, 17th in the PL and yoyo’ing between the divisions was never acceptable to us, but would be like winning the CL for Derby where they are now.

His ceiling matches theirs, it’ll probably end up being a good match based on that.

How is that his ceiling though? His ceiling is 50% below whatever was the ceiling before he started. 

You never know until you experience it. The contempt, the callousness. Rangers have, we have. He’ll makes a team ‘stable’ on a spreadsheet and everything else is a skip fire. Stadium name change. Signage. Club shop rinsed - the lot. Sadly it takes time to truly know.

Edited by Darth Crooks

Guest neesy111
7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I think people see our easy promotions  to the PL as something he cleverly orchestrated. When in fact neither of the squads should have gone down.

He just fell into 2 managers to get us up.  Hughton wasn't even offically manager until end of October.

Then he hit the jackpot with Rafa somehow approaching us.

Ashley needs somewhere to put his Sports Direct signs and Derby will be fine, nice and close to his head office. He loves to buy businesses that have gone tits up because he gets everything at way below the going rate. Derby County will be perfect for him