Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I can hear it now from Bruce, "To manage Derby County is a great opportunity.  Ever since playing here all those years ago I've loved this place and felt I belonged here. This is the job I've always wanted.  And look, I'm telling you, to team up again with Mike and Lee Charnley is just a dream come true.

18 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

I can hear it now from Bruce, "To manage Derby County is a great opportunity.  Ever since playing here all those years ago I've loved this place and felt I belonged here. This is the job I've always wanted.  And look, I'm telling you, to team up again with Mike and Lee Charnley is just a dream come true.

"Well you know they play in black and white and as a young boy I used to wear the black and white...dream come true"

I hate it when fans of other clubs try to tell us that Ashley did a good job, it's just baffling 

However I know a few Derby fans and in their situation I totally understand why they want him, they are in a mess and if someone can come in, cover the losses (by way of a loan) they'll be delighted, the opposite of us it gives them some hope (which he'll crush later down the line)

Plus Pride Park being renamed as Flannels Fields won't cause an uproar as it has little to no historic importance 

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

“Everyone knows playing Harrogate will be difficult. They’re a brilliant team.”

I can understand that if you're a Derby fan, and your other options might be oblivion, or some leveraged chancer, that you might think Ashley is a great option.

That seems to be the view on one of the Derby forums I had a peek on.

It might even be right, in the terrible position they are in, who am I to say?

But what you can't see from the outside, though, is his soul crushing behaviour and how he takes your club away and ruins your love of football.

Firstly, he is not a 'great businessman' when it comes to football - he diminished his own asset here. Probably could have sold it for so much more if he'd made competent decisions.

But the real trouble is that what their fans don't see is that they still care about their club and are desperate for hope.

And hope is what he smothers, to the extent that by the end so many people here would have preferred Newcastle to even go out of business just to get rid of him. Or else they stopped watching their own sport.

You just had to listen to the earthquake on Thursday night to see what it meant for him to be gone.

I'm sure they could ask Rangers fans about this too.

Part of me says he wouldn't be all that bad for Derby. He'd want them hovering at the bottom of the PL more often than not for SD exposure so that is already an improvement on their last 20 years.

But then I remember he lucked out in enforcing his tat empire-building philosophy on a club with some of the hardest-to-drop stadium attendances of the PL era, that also happens to get the most media coverage outside of the obvious suspects to keep it ticking over without a modicum of effort.

I say he has them staring relegation to League 2 in the face by the time he's done with them.

38 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

I see his CAT claim has been withdrawn this afternoon. I'm pretty confident this CAT case was going to reveal info that PL were shitting themselves about. Must be canny big stuff like to wave a Saudi takeover through like :lol:

Aye, I don't thing the premier leagues lawyer helped matters with his little tantrums and lack of preparation 

On 10/10/2021 at 12:55, Northerngimp said:

Bruce will be at Derby quicker than you could say "bacon, chips n beans Risotto" 

Nah, clever Mike will look for the Midlands version. Some out of work former Derby player or manager who will provide a nice local buffer from any criticism. 

If you're happy to support a club whose owner puts a self-imposed ceiling on your possible success of 17th in the Prem, then yeah, he might honestly not be a bad owner for another club. That isn't to say his ownership will ever get you to the lofty heights of 17th of course.

And even if he did that with some smaller club, got them to the Prem and sustained them at 17th - eventually the happiness would fade. Expectations are fluid - eventually the novelty of existing purely to be the whipping boys of everyone else in the Prem would wear off and you'd hate him for sucking the dreams of being something more out of your club. Just like he did to us.

1 minute ago, Chicane said:

If you're happy to support a club whose owner puts a self-imposed ceiling on your possible success of 17th in the Prem, then yeah, he might honestly not be a bad owner for another club. That isn't to say his ownership will ever get you to the lofty heights of 17th of course.

And even if he did that with some smaller club, got them to the Prem and sustained them at 17th - eventually the happiness would fade. Expectations are fluid - eventually the novelty of existing purely to be the whipping boys of everyone else in the Prem would wear off and you'd hate him for sucking the dreams of being something more out of your club. Just like he did to us.

Yeap, by the time the happiness faded, Ashley has asset stripped the club for all its worth and taken all the clubs brands for himself. 

2 minutes ago, Chicane said:

He’d stabilize them, which is what they’re clamouring for now and that’s about it. Eventually, Derby fans would ask…”Right, can we crack on with it?” to which his answer would be:

5 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

Yeap, by the time the happiness faded, Ashley has asset stripped the club for all its worth and taken all the clubs brands for himself. 

Aren't they in administration? What assets will they have as of now? It seems to be a case of beggars can't be choosers for Derby fans, they'd probably take Ashley in a heartbeat at this time. 

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Apparently he has not made any contact with their administrators.

Not his style really, he'll wait until the last second to get it as cheap as possible