Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

463 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Sports Direct near me sells higher quality stuff as well. Feels like a jumble sale but hate to say I can understand why people use it. There's one on a retail park and a new one opening in the town shopping centre a couple of miles away from each other  :anguish:

The kind of quality labels House of Fraser were rnowned for, by any chance?

I have no idea what House Of Fraser sells to be honest, but I meant sporting stuff rather that fashion. I'd say on balance though that the tat outweighs the quality stuff. An odd place

Sports Direct near me sells higher quality stuff as well. Feels like a jumble sale but hate to say I can understand why people use it. There's one on a retail park and a new one opening in the town shopping centre a couple of miles away from each other  :anguish:

Sorry lads but I bought stuff off Sports Direct the other day. All Everlast gear. A gym shirt, gym shorts, lifting gloves, 12 pairs of shorts and 5 pairs of boxers for £35 delivered. It's incredibly hard to beat.

Guest neesy111

Sorry lads but I bought stuff off Sports Direct the other day. All Everlast gear. A gym shirt, gym shorts, lifting gloves, 12 pairs of shorts and 5 pairs of boxers for £35 delivered. It's incredibly hard to beat.

Guess your fine with slave labour then...

Guess your fine with slave labour then...

Another argument that transfers blame to the poor.

I've only see this mentioned once and I'm a little surprised. Basically the Sports Direct tax problems with Belgium is tax evasion, the same which forced the sale of Leeds https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2014-09-11/cellino-could-be-forced-to-sell-stake-in-leeds-united/

Surely this is something that AO or whichever group should be pushing hard towards. Asking questions of the PL or national press to get it in there that he may have to sell the club. There was questions already whether Ashley could pass a fit and proper persons test now already, this surely pushes him over the the fact he wouldn't. I don't know any of this for certain it just seems like an opportunity is being missed.

Guest neesy111

I've only see this mentioned once and I'm a little surprised. Basically the Sports Direct tax problems with Belgium is tax evasion, the same which forced the sale of Leeds https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2014-09-11/cellino-could-be-forced-to-sell-stake-in-leeds-united/

Surely this is something that AO or whichever group should be pushing hard towards. Asking questions of the PL or national press to get it in there that he may have to sell the club. There was questions already whether Ashley could pass a fit and proper persons test now already, this surely pushes him over the the fact he wouldn't. I don't know any of this for certain it just seems like an opportunity is being missed.

Not sure it's that. @Colo's Short and Curlies knows more about it.

You're right, its not tax evasion (well from what we know it wouldn't be). Its a case of paying tax in the wrong place. As its VAT and it is a matter of record from HMRC that SD pay and have always paid VAT to them then its safe to say that we take tax evasion off the table.

What is important is whether Belgium (and potentially others) believe that SD deliberately neglected to register for VAT there in order to pay less VAT in the UK. If so then the fines/interest will be more punitive than if its a genuine oversight. As HMRC advised that SD contact all 27 countries back in 2017 this argument is weak.

As an aside, reading on the NUFC/HMRC investigation, if HMRC have a case then this COULD be deemed evasion as the case centres around NUFC funnelling money and wages through different sources in order to reduce tax.

(How the hell has my life come to be discussing VAT on a football forum!)

Guest chopey

You're right, its not tax evasion (well from what we know it wouldn't be). Its a case of paying tax in the wrong place. As its VAT and it is a matter of record from HMRC that SD pay and have always paid VAT to them then its safe to say that we take tax evasion off the table.

What is important is whether Belgium (and potentially others) believe that SD deliberately neglected to register for VAT there in order to pay less VAT in the UK. If so then the fines/interest will be more punitive than if its a genuine oversight. As HMRC advised that SD contact all 27 countries back in 2017 this argument is weak.

As an aside, reading on the NUFC/HMRC investigation, if HMRC have a case then this COULD be deemed evasion as the case centres around NUFC funnelling money and wages through different sources in order to reduce tax.

(How the hell has my life come to be discussing VAT on a football forum!)

Ha ha, I long for the good old days when I was arguing that Liam O'brien would score 10 goals in the Premier league for us so long as he had runners around him and Kevin Scott was a good player but just lavked confidence

Just got new windows fitted , not because I needed them but because I love the Glazers

Guest chopey

Could have bought a box of Persil and halved that bill.

Everything in that shithole is lifting man

Wondered how u did that, thanks Thomson

:thup:

Still love how Bellamy flinches when Carragher mentions ex-players peddling Ashley’s propaganda in the media :lol:

absolutely this. didn't say anything after that.

Noticed that as well, looked a bit sheepish

My guess is he thinks he is a law unto himself. He can get away with anything, anytime.

I was really looking forward to my son and i starting the Newcastle journey together by getting him his first ST.

But i refuse to even drive past the stadium now.

It's hearing stuff like this which annoys me so much that our fanbase won't unite and drive this complete leach out of the club ASAP.

I come home from work. See Nufc twitter posting the new signing.

Every comment I read is about toon being great.

Nearly smashed up my tablet.

Looks like we are pishing in the wind here guys.

He wins another season on the grounds of marble mouthed supporters not seeing the bigger picture.

Angry much?