Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I fancy opening a can of worms. To what extent are the supporters accountable for Ashley deciding that he's ready to sell? Are the fans who stopped going more responsible for his departure than the ones who stayed? Is there anything in it?

He obviously panicked otherwise he wouldn't of give away all the season tickets, but, imo the recent developments are all due to the COVID19 crisis. He's bleeding money/share price all over & its fucking glorious. 

I fancy opening a can of worms. To what extent are the supporters accountable for Ashley deciding that he's ready to sell? Are the fans who stopped going more responsible for his departure than the ones who stayed? Is there anything in it?

He obviously panicked otherwise he wouldn't of give away all the season tickets, but, imo the recent developments are all due to the COVID19 crisis. He's bleeding money/share price all over & its fucking glorious. 

The way I see it. These talks started before Covid truly kicked off over here, didn't it? If it didn't kick off at all I could see the bid going the same way as all the others but he decided he actually wants the money this time.

Be interested to see how fan stuff resolves itself, roll back to last month and I’d have more contempt for matchgoers (not supporters) than I did when they stood up for en mass for Pards, Carver and of course v Arsenal opening day when so many went to back Mike.

He obviously panicked otherwise he wouldn't of give away all the season tickets, but, imo the recent developments are all due to the COVID19 crisis. He's bleeding money/share price all over & its f***ing glorious. 

The way I see it. These talks started before Covid truly kicked off over here, didn't it? If it didn't kick off at all I could see the bid going the same way as all the others but he decided he actually wants the money this time.

I agree, these talks have been going on for a fair while if the press are to be believed. I just think Covid has finally,  fucking finally, forced his hand. Fuck the fat cunt even if he lives another 20 years I'll still celebrate the day he crokes, and I couldn't give a fuck what the makes me seem like.

It's an interesting question about fan impact and the way in which each section of the fanbase interprets things, particularly in the long term.

As a boycotter/protester i like the idea that my actions influenced him, but deep down the sensible part of me knows they didn't and that he sold an asset to realise cash at a time of financial difficulty separate from football.

If hypothetically we become extremely successful say in 10 years time under new owners, how will I and others like me reflect on it? I can certainly see the temptation to try and gloat/take some credit, and to resent those who in my eyes did nothing. But equally you can see the more traditional football narrative of the matchgoers in 10 years time saying 'i stuck with the club through thick and thin'. I don't really ever see that divide and argument going away amongst the fanbase and will likely be a lasting legacy of fat mike's reign - especially if we enter into a succesful era.

It's an interesting question about fan impact and the way in which each section of the fanbase interprets things, particularly in the long term.

As a boycotter/protester i like the idea that my actions influenced him, but deep down the sensible part of me knows they didn't and that he sold an asset to realise cash at a time of financial difficulty separate from football.

If hypothetically we become extremely successful say in 10 years time under new owners, how will I and others like me reflect on it? I can certainly see the temptation to try and gloat/take some credit, and to resent those who in my eyes did nothing. But equally you can see the more traditional football narrative of the matchgoers in 10 years time saying 'i stuck with the club through thick and thin'. I don't really ever see that divide and argument going away amongst the fanbase and will likely be a lasting legacy of fat mike's reign - especially if we enter into a succesful era.

Probably. For me whether it was the actions that forced his or not isn’t really the hill worth dying on - it was the right fight to have at the time and and gave them pause for thought however fleeting. They reacted directly enough to protest each time in some small way. The thick and thin narrative was I’ve no doubt a reason Ashley bought us in the first place. He’s proved that you debase the club and product and people would still pile in a surround the ad boards’ ahl wi smilin faces’ for the most part. Absolute parasite and whatever I think about the new lads( 🇸🇦🐫🍾🍻)will be glad to see the back of him

Think that sums it up really well but the part in bold is kinda why I posed the question, really. I had a vision of us going through a rough patch in however many years' time and debating with someone about how they "stuck with them through thick and thin;" when I feel absolutely unmoved that if you were 'thick-and-thinning' during peak Pardew doldrums or this season; you've no right to offer that as a reason to feel proud or vindicated.

Not a battle worth fighting of course, assuming the takeover is completed and the competitive sporting intention returns, therefore renewing the common interest across the majority of the fanbase.

Think that sums it up really well but the part in bold is kinda why I posed the question, really. I had a vision of us going through a rough patch in however many years' time and debating with someone about how they "stuck with them through thick and thin;" when I feel absolutely unmoved that if you were 'thick-and-thinning' during peak Pardew doldrums or this season; you've no right to offer that as a reason to feel proud or vindicated.

Not a battle worth fighting of course, assuming the takeover is completed and the competitive sporting intention returns, therefore renewing the common interest across the majority of the fanbase.

The thing is though I stuck with the club through thick and thin, but have my season ticket up in the summer.

Did I still support them and want them to do well? Yes, I just felt that the only way that would happen is with the removal of Ashley. Sticking by them doesn’t automatically mean still attending games, it means striving for the better good.

If we become successful in 10 years time and have a thought patch then yes, any glory hunters who we gained will likely fuck off. In all honesty though, anyone who starts supporting us simply because they are following success, can’t really be classed as a true fan can they? At least not if their support is contingent on success.

"Jokes aside he would be great. Knows how to run a football club got the mags punching above their weight.

Mags are ungrateful shits."

:lol:

I hope Fat Mike buys them. It will be hilarious when they realise he is content with having them hoover just above relegation in the Championship as long as he gets his sports brand on TV. And as long as he can do that they would be stuck with him forever, sucking the soul out of their "football club".

How is barely surviving and sometimes going down punching above our weight? :lol: We're clearly one of the biggest 10 or 15 clubs in the country like. But aye, 17th in the Prem or playing in the 2nd tier is punching above our weight.

How is barely surviving and sometimes going down punching above our weight? :lol: We're clearly one of the biggest 10 or 15 clubs in the country like. But aye, 17th in the Prem or playing in the 2nd tier is punching above our weight.

Aye, not like we had a regular recent record of top 6 finishes and Europe pre Ashley. Mackem logic. Strange bunch and the all consuming jealousy and bitterness is messing their brains up even more.

Guest chopey

I wonder if Ashley and Charnley are still liable in the HRMC investigation or does that stay with the club ?

I wonder if Ashley and Charnley are still liable in the HRMC investigation or does that stay with the club ?

In my non-lawyer but well read opinion, any commercial liability (e.g. fines) would likely remain with the club, but any criminal liability would likely remain with the individual.