Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

1 hour ago, Robster said:

I listened to a Private Eye podcast from last year where Ian Hislop was talking about Robert Maxwell and how he'd sue anyone and everyone if they dared to say or do anything against him.
Think Ashley and Maxwell are cut from the very similar cloth.

That’ll delight Derby fans if they make the connection.  Cap’n Bob wasn’t exactly popular by the end of his stay having bailed them out of the shite initially to much fanfare.

Plus ca change and all that

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/derby-county-takeover-ex-newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-premier-league-1393123

It pre-dated the Derby link, but a source close to Ashley told i that the former Newcastle owner “still has something to give in football”.

“His business model isn’t a bad one,” they said. “It’s just better suited for a club in the Championship trying to get promoted than it is for a club in the Premier League trying to improve”.

This source believes Ashley simply didn’t engage the right people on Tyneside, listening to those who knew little of the game in those early days. “He didn’t understand football and what he found out he invariably didn’t like,” they added. By the time he had got to grips with it, the die was cast and he gave up trying to be popular.

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/derby-county-takeover-ex-newcastle-owner-mike-ashley-premier-league-1393123

It pre-dated the Derby link, but a source close to Ashley told i that the former Newcastle owner “still has something to give in football”.

“His business model isn’t a bad one,” they said. “It’s just better suited for a club in the Championship trying to get promoted than it is for a club in the Premier League trying to improve”.

This source believes Ashley simply didn’t engage the right people on Tyneside, listening to those who knew little of the game in those early days. “He didn’t understand football and what he found out he invariably didn’t like,” they added. By the time he had got to grips with it, the die was cast and he gave up trying to be popular.

The cunt never got to grips with it 

:lol: Surely that titbit alone must terrify fans of Derby or any other clubs in his eyeline?

Don't expect improvement to a Premier League level, don't expect him to seek out knowledge of people who know what they're doing, and if you see through it all expect him to pick up his ball and cry all the way home like a little bitch to spite you.

I had a look on the Derby forum and they are eyes open happily accepting of him if he comes in. Madness.

I’ve absolutely nothing against them as fans but honestly think any warning against it will just fall on deaf ears.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I had a look on the Derby forum and they are eyes open happily accepting of him if he comes in. Madness.

I’ve absolutely nothing against them as fans but honestly think any warning against it will just fall on deaf ears.

Isn't it a case though of having Ashley or no club at all? Aren't they at risk of going out of business?

25 minutes ago, duo said:

Isn't it a case though of having Ashley or no club at all? Aren't they at risk of going out of business?

Would rather go bust and start again.

The bloke sapped the life out of NUFC. Hope, passion, excitement all gone. Absolute cunt. 

Get ready for here's an interest free loan, then will come the sustainability sales pitch, basically you buy with what you generate. 

Sports direct signs everywhere, Derby fans initially loving it, before reality kicks in and they're drained and miserable. 

Same old, same old.

He's driven by his own shite, retail, not sport not football.

They're idiots if they welcome this.

Beggers can't be choosers, but I hope he buys them and then finds out they owe millions more than he thought, seeing him get his fingers burnt in a money pit would give me great pleasure 

3 hours ago, Ben said:

Beggers can't be choosers, but I hope he buys them and then finds out they owe millions more than he thought, seeing him get his fingers burnt in a money pit would give me great pleasure 

He does have previous with that tbf …

Funny how Mike is always surprised by the extent of the problems he inherits when he buys anything.

Like when he was shocked we hadn't paid cash up front for all our players (like no club does), and so was sadly was justified in stripping the club down to it's bare bones and run it on a shoestring, like the big saviour he is.

It's almost like buying distressed assets for peanuts might mean they have some big underlying problems.

If you've taken over a company Ashley ran for 14 years there must be an absolute treasure trove of dirt and dodgy dealings within the records you've inherited, surprised he's not trying to keep them sweet as possible.

2 hours ago, Abacus said:

Funny how Mike is always surprised by the extent of the problems he inherits when he buys anything.

Like when he was shocked we hadn't paid cash up front for all our players (like no club does), and so was sadly was justified in stripping the club down to it's bare bones and run it on a shoestring, like the big saviour he is.

It's almost like buying distressed assets for peanuts might mean they have some big underlying problems.

Almost like an alibi to run things the way he always intended or something isn't it. 

Wouldn't take a Leicester reserve on loan unless they paid most of his wages, but would definitely not do due dilligience on the biggest purchases he'd ever make.