Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

462 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

7 hours ago, Slim said:

Oldham Athletic owner Abdallah Lemsagam has opened talks with interested parties to sell the League Two club after receiving a death threat.

If only Ashley was that thin skinned. He’d have been away in 2010. 

49 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Where does this Hurst is a Tory stuff come from, out of interest?

Inherited business from old man, classic Tory stuff.  Remember TF suddenly getting Phoenix ads, which ran contrary to the ethos of fanzines?  Me too.

He was featured in an article in Financial Times.  Bit from the FT which you're looking for:

'A Conservative supporter even before December’s election landslide, he wants the government to bring in measures including business rates exemption to boost activity in struggling town centres like Blyth.'

https://www.ft.com/content/cca67e3a-619a-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

Edit: if you don't subscribe to the FT, you can usually view articles if you search on google etc - just type the person's name + financial times.  You'll be able to view it then

Edited by MarkyMark

9 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

Inherited business from old man, classic Tory stuff.  Remember TF suddenly getting Phoenix ads, which ran contrary to the ethos of fanzines?  Me too.

He was featured in an article in Financial Times.  Bit from the FT which you're looking for:

'A Conservative supporter even before December’s election landslide, he wants the government to bring in measures including business rates exemption to boost activity in struggling town centres like Blyth.'

https://www.ft.com/content/cca67e3a-619a-11ea-b3f3-fe4680ea68b5

Edit: if you don't subscribe to the FT, you can usually view articles if you search on google etc - just type the person's name + financial times.  You'll be able to view it then

He's in good company then. Him and huge Tory donors, the Reuben family, hanging around foodbanks they've voted for. Add John Hall's £500k donation to the tory coffers. We're basically Tory FC :kasper:

10 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

He's in good company then. Him and huge Tory donors, the Reuben family, hanging around foodbanks they've voted for. Add John Hall's £500k donation to the tory coffers. We're basically Tory FC :kasper:

If it makes you feel any better, considering the kind of wealth needed to own a football club at a reasonable level I'd guess that would go for the majority. :dontknow:

10 minutes ago, wormy said:

If it makes you feel any better, considering the kind of wealth needed to own a football club at a reasonable level I'd guess that would go for the majority. :dontknow:

I was replying to the short "debate" referencing Hurst's politics. I've no illusions about the wealth within football or anywhere, pal.

13 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I was replying to the short "debate" referencing Hurst's politics. I've no illusions about the wealth within football or anywhere, pal.

Sorry, was just making idle chit chat before I bother to do any work. As you were, buddy.

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

It doesn’t, funnily enough :)

They genuinely think foodbanks are marvellous because it proves that ‘deserving’ poor will be ok with handouts, rather than actually paying reasonable taxes to ensure foodbanks aren’t necessary.  Can’t see past the end of their own nose.

John Hall’s donations bought him a knighthood off Thatcher - who he idolised.  Despite his being trained by the NCB.  The ownership of the club has never been less than loathsome, as far as my reading of history goes …

2 hours ago, OCK said:

Imagine if he choked on a Greggs pasty. 

Imagine if one of the Greggs staff slipped a razor blade shard into that pasty. That would be awful. Would like to think he'd at least be arrested and questioned if that proved fatal. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean he's a short term improvement on bring liquidated, so if that's his argument the fair enough. Sort of like escaping Ted Bundy's boot to be picked up down the road by Ed Gein though.

There is another offer on the table though for them, so it’s not like it’s a straight choice between liquidation or Ashley.

They’re hoping for Ashley, so I assume the other potential buyer is Prince Andrew.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

There is another offer on the table though for them, so it’s not like it’s a straight choice between liquidation or Ashley.

They’re hoping for Ashley, so I assume the other potential buyer is Prince Andrew.

[emoji38]if there's another offer then wishing for Ashley is insane like. It's not even like Ashley being abhorrent is a secret or out either, just about any time he's been mentioned in the media over the past decade has been regarding him doing something the fans have hated him for.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

9 minutes ago, arnonel said:

Can't find anything. This guy is adamant Ashley is a good thing

think it was AshleyOut.com

Anyway, let him find out for himself and let them burn if they welcome him. 

The crux of it for those who don't want to click the DM article...

Sports Direct owner Mr Ashley claims that wealthy businesswoman Amanda Staveley has defaulted on the loan after violating an agreement not to criticise his running of the club in the media and refusing to allow some advertising from his company to remain at its home ground until the end of the current football season.

The thin skinned kernt!

Edited by TK-421