Women's Football

Everyone still looking forward to var then?

Yes can’t wait for it :indi:

1 Red Card for the opposition in the last 6 years.

Can’t wait for Newcastle to win 5/6 games per a season via penalties and Red cards like everyone else does.

Or 10+ games/all their wins if you’re Crystal Penalty F.C or Bournemouth.

If you want to change all the rules so much just get your own fucking sport instead of trying to ruin the one everyone else likes.

Absolute fucking tosh, mate. I love the sport just as much as you, just got a different opinion.

The "you must HATE X because you want to make changes to X" argument, I wonder where I've heard that before :)

Wullie, you're great, man, but you've been so emotionally invested in this fight, you're slinging mud where it's actually pretty easy to engage with the other side on this issue. And disagree. I know on the Interwebz disagreeing with someone politely is taboo, but it's okay to not agree with someone on a topic :lol:

It’s not to ‘placate’ FIFA. The penalty is to award the attacking team and penalise the team who’ve committed the offence...why should they get an advantage??

If the keeper wants to extend their diving range they can take a step back behind the line, then dive and make the same save but within the laws of the game.

I am not even sure it is legal for the keeper to stand fully behind the line if we are now treating the "laws" in this manner (not using common sense). I believe it says that the keeper has to be in line or have one foot touching the line, and mentions nothing about standing in front of it or behind it. I don't understand the problem with the striker and keeper using their natural techniques to score/save the penalty and referees using their human brains to intervene when someone violates and gains an advantage. It worked fine until it was haphazardly changed for no reason.

Obviously I'm biased but wtf?!

Scotland are out because of this nonsensical rule and Nigeria are now given a lifeline to possibly advance, which they only need in the first place because of the same nonsense. This is FIFA's version of the highest level of our game in 2019. I cannot wait for the next Premier League title to be decided because we determine that someone meant to touch the ball with their hand when looking at it in 10X slow motion.

The first penalty shootout in this tournament will interesting when we are calling off every save or watching professional atheletes ignore 20 years of technical training and stand in the goal to try and save a football because of this.

When the ball is kicked, the defending goalkeeper must have at least part of one foot touching, or in line with, the goal line

So nothing at all stopping the keeper using the exact same technique, just starting a foot or two deeper.

I for one am appalled at the prospect of the rules of the game actually being implemented rather than ignored. Stripping away the very soul of the game if teams can't profit from breaking the rules.

Pretty sure GK’s aren’t allowed to stand behind the goal line. They aren’t allowed to touch the crossbar either fwiw.

Says when the kick is taken, it has to be in line with the goal line, so nothing stopping them stepping on to the line as the kicker is approaching?

When I first started watching the game in the 60s, roughly in one in three penalties ended up being retaken. The rule then was that the keeper had to not just remain on the line, but remain still on the line until the kick was taken. They relaxed the rule to allow the keeper to move on the line, but for no particular reason it then became the convention for referees to completely turn a blind eye to any infringements, whether it be the keeper moving off the line, or players entering the box.

I'm actually quite pleased that they've decided to take the rules seriously again, because keepers were getting away with jumping a yard or more off the line to significantly narrow the angle. It was becoming a matter of how much they could get away with.

Keepers will soon get used to the new approach to the law, and make adjustments. It will inevitably mean more goals scored, but so what.

If you want to change all the rules so much just get your own fucking sport instead of trying to ruin the one everyone else likes.

Absolute fucking tosh, mate. I love the sport just as much as you, just got a different opinion.

The "you must HATE X because you want to make changes to X" argument, I wonder where I've heard that before :)

Wullie, you're great, man, but you've been so emotionally invested in this fight, you're slinging mud where it's actually pretty easy to engage with the other side on this issue. And disagree. I know on the Interwebz disagreeing with someone politely is taboo, but it's okay to not agree with someone on a topic :lol:

Every time VAR fucks a game up, whether it's handball or this latest farce, Gallowgate End says "the rules are wrong and need changing"

They don't need changing, they've been fine for very many years, making football the world's most popular sport. I liked it the way it is, this is wrecking it, and already the tide is turning as most of the sensible journalists are already realising, this is not sustainable.

Might as well say ‘that’s ok, you were only 4 inches offside, go on you can have that one’.

We knew the rules were going to be enforced this summer in particular for things like this and no-one seems switched on enough to adjust. It’s a simple thing to do man. :lol:

Don't wanna repeat everything I said after the Lingard/Holland fiasco, but I think that sounds perfectly okay. :lol:

Those rules apply across the board. The current rules means only the very top level of the sport is ruined. That's not a good look. The plus side is that it's even worse than I thought it would be, I mean much much worse. First time I can see the possibility that it will eventually be done away with.

Those rules apply across the board. The current rules means only the very top level of the sport is ruined. That's not a good look. The plus side is that it's even worse than I thought it would be, I mean much much worse. First time I can see the possibility that it will eventually be done away with.

That’s the same with rugby, cricket, tennis...

It’s new, it’ll take time to get used to. It may be a case that they’re being strict early doors to bring players in line so they know they can’t get away with things anymore and in time, these things will reduce and as the incidents decrease, they may become a bit more lax and let things go a bit more again.

It's gonna be farcical as fuck for a while at least, even if eventually people do adjust to it. Every single penalty that ever gets missed will go to VAR and require a bunch of 'analysts' to get their microscopes out to ensure that this foot was here before the kick and this foot was here after and yadayadayada.

It just seems stupid and tedious as fuck. Are we gonna need goalline technology for the position of feet now too? Ultimately, is the game better off because of this? I don't really think so. Just my opinion of course.

Having said all that, it's also gonna be one of those things that most everybody flip-flops ( :coolsmiley:) on each week depending on if they've benefited or been the 'victim' of it. Your team misses a pen, but gets to retake it because the keepers left pinky toe was a nanometre in front of the line? Great! When the boot is on the other foot (:coolsmiley:) though, it'll be the drizzling shits.

It's gonna be farcical as fuck for a while at least, even if eventually people do adjust to it. Every single penalty that ever gets missed will go to VAR and require a bunch of 'analysts' to get their microscopes out to ensure that this foot was here before the kick and this foot was here after and yadayadayada.

Or scored. Encroachment by the offensive team is no different to the keeper pissing about as per the laws.

Every time VAR fucks a game up, whether it's handball or this latest farce, Gallowgate End says "the rules are wrong and need changing"

They don't need changing, they've been fine for very many years, making football the world's most popular sport. I liked it the way it is, this is wrecking it, and already the tide is turning as most of the sensible journalists are already realising, this is not sustainable.

Have they really?

Have you really been enjoying watching the opposition only get 1 Red card in 6 years when you know with VAR that won’t happen :lol:

The thing people are actually complaining about is the Handball rule and GK foot position rule VAR is just being made to be guilty by association.

The rules are what need correcting not VAR.

We need to change it to indirect free kicks for non deliberate handballs the current handball rules in the penalty area are far too severe punishment for what type of handballs they are.

The rules are clearly what needs correcting not VAR.

Strictly speaking you can’t leave the field of play without the referee’s permission so keepers planning on standing behind the goal line should really ask if this is ok.

Keepers are going to have to retrain; they’re all trained to move forward as the kick is taken and then dive.

The new rules apparently give keepers more of an advantage than they had. They have to be on the line to start with apparently. Previously both feet had to be on the line when the kick was taken, now they just have to have one foot touching or in line.

If they still can’t stick to the rules after that then even less sympathy tbh.