Women's Football

Watching the England game last night was uncomfortably familiar to watching us under Pardew. Players absolutely terrified of the ball in the second half and when possession was won it was quickly moved back to the keeper and hoofed straight back to the opposition. Neville is an absolute fraud and I can understand why there was so much uproar when it was given to him over a woman.

Mainly though it just made me reflect that having Rafa and playing with an actual system is something I’m not ready to lose yet.

Pretty sure GK’s aren’t allowed to stand behind the goal line. They aren’t allowed to touch the crossbar either fwiw.

Says when the kick is taken, it has to be in line with the goal line, so nothing stopping them stepping on to the line as the kicker is approaching?

Anything stopping the keeper standing in front of the ball during the run up then?

The clock is the most ridiculous thing in that segment. They started to look at VAR on 86, play resumed on 94 and the referee ended it on 95. :lol:

When I was watching I asked my mate "why is the linesman running onto the pitch". Everyone just looked confused. The TV clock kept going for about 30 seconds afterwards. I don't think anyone thought there was any way the match had been ended.

On another note, I was a bit disappointed to see the behaviour of one or two of the Scottish players. When I've seen women's football previously, it seemed to be relatively free of some of the worst aspects of the men's game eg arguing with officials, giving opposition players the verbals. For the Argentine penalty, there were a couple of players deliberately trying to put the kicker off and interfere with their concentration.

Thank fuck for that.

Part of me agrees, part of me figures that it just lets refs apply their usual biases unchecked.

I'm broadly in favour of VAR, and one thing I will say is that it's removed any doubt over whether the officials are frequently incompetent. That ref blowing for time when she did in the Scotland game was grossly incompetent and a subversion of the game on a fundamental level.

As for goalkeeping at penalties in general, it's just gone exactly the way these changes always do. Referees (by and large) suddenly start applying the rules properly (shirt-tugging at corners, 6-second rule, encroachment - whatever) and everyone gets annoyed because they can't, well, cheat any more. There's a flurry of controversy, then it dies down, then refs gradually go back to letting things slide again. Often to the benefit of the home team/big team.

Guest alijmitchell

you are all missing the point here. it was great to see the bitter jocks fucked over.

Tit

Thank fuck for that.

Part of me agrees, part of me figures that it just lets refs apply their usual biases unchecked.

I'm broadly in favour of VAR, and one thing I will say is that it's removed any doubt over whether the officials are frequently incompetent. That ref blowing for time when she did in the Scotland game was grossly incompetent and a subversion of the game on a fundamental level.

As for goalkeeping at penalties in general, it's just gone exactly the way these changes always do. Referees (by and large) suddenly start applying the rules properly (shirt-tugging at corners, 6-second rule, encroachment - whatever) and everyone gets annoyed because they can't, well, cheat any more. There's a flurry of controversy, then it dies down, then refs gradually go back to letting things slide again. Often to the benefit of the home team/big team.

for me while I agree the rule should be enforced for the blatant off the line things I also view it as ultimately not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, most penalties are scored regardless of how far off the line the goalkeeper is and so it should be left to the officials discretion whether a retake is warranted. Things like the french penalty retake on monday there was clearly no advantage gained by the nigerian goalkeeper being a bit off her line since Renard just missed should not be retaken 

Thank fuck for that.

for me while I agree the rule should be enforced for the blatant off the line things I also view it as ultimately not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, most penalties are scored regardless of how far off the line the goalkeeper is and so it should be left to the officials discretion whether a retake is warranted. Things like the french penalty retake on monday there was clearly no advantage gained by the nigerian goalkeeper being a bit off her line since Renard just missed should not be retaken 

Absolutely. Comes back down to where and how we apply VAR, and whether the people analyzing the vid have an ounce of brain and wit. The results so far are mixed.

Thank fuck for that.

Part

Thank fuck for that.

Bang on with the first part. You’re going to get two identical pen saves this season (De Gea from Murray & Krul from Salah), and I’m guessing which one will be retaken and which one they’ll let go.

Guest alijmitchell

I have to say I totally disagree with the rule about the keepers fee being on the line. It doesn’t level out the playing field at all. In fact, it probably gives the attacking team a much bigger advantage. I think goal keepers should be allowed one step forward, that’s it. Considering all the ridiculously contentious and s**** decisions given by VAR around s**** things such as handball, diving and grappling in the box at a corner, the ref is effectively whistling for a goal to be awarded under current rules if there is a ‘foul’ in the box. VAR exacerbates this and I don’t think crap rule changes and VAR can be considered separate things. They’re both detrimental to the game and part of the same problem. It’s s**** for the sport.

Edit - not only that but with VAR in the mix we are actually increasing the amount of time watching someone watch a screen to the detriment of watching people actually play football based on the dubious timing/clock aspects of it. Which is also shit.

I have to say I totally disagree with the rule about the keepers fee being on the line. It doesn’t level out the playing field at all. In fact, it probably gives the attacking team a much bigger advantage. I think goal keepers should be allowed one step forward, that’s it. Considering all the ridiculously contentious and shite decisions given by VAR around shite things such as handball, diving and grappling in the box at a corner, the ref is effectively whistling for a goal to be awarded under current rules if there is a ‘foul’ in the box. VAR exacerbates this and I don’t think crap rule changes and VAR can be considered separate things. They’re both detrimental to the game and part of the same problem. It’s shite for the sport.

They are allowed one step forward and the attacking team is supposed to have the bigger advantage.

Guest alijmitchell

I mean like a two footed plant if you get me. Yes the attacking team should have the advantage, but not to the point where it is an almost guaranteed goal. It’s especially complicated by the fact that so many ‘fouls’ are subjective even through VAR. As such the combination of the two thing weakens both the integrity of the sport, enjoyment for the viewer, and balance of fairness in defence vs attack.

US could do with another goal here, they’re playing really well. The Swedish press has been consistent and sporadically effective, but it’s leaving a lot of space elsewhere on the pitch and it feels like only a matter of time before the US make a really incisive break.

O’Hara should be pushing on more, particularly outside Heath. I really like Lavelle. Never been convinced by Alex Morgan though, and i’ve not seen anything today to dispel that.

I mean like a two footed plant if you get me. Yes the attacking team should have the advantage, but not to the point where it is an almost guaranteed goal. It’s especially complicated by the fact that so many ‘fouls’ are subjective even through VAR. As such the combination of the two thing weakens both the integrity of the sport, enjoyment for the viewer, and balance of fairness in defence vs attack.

The Scottish keeper last night would have still saved the penalty had she stayed on her line though. I also think it should be black and white now, no grey areas and I think the PL have bottled it by not using VAR for this next season.

Halftime. Really impressed by the quality of play in this game.

Too harsh to say that the USA ladies seem to have a much better feel for the game than the USA men?

Their movement and use of the ball is so much better.