Women's Football

Halftime. Really impressed by the quality of play in this game.

Too harsh to say that the USA ladies seem to have a much better feel for the game than the USA men?

Their movement and use of the ball is so much better.

Presumably more of the top female athletes in America play football compared to the men. Is football the most popular sport among females in America? Also obviously not as competitive as the men's game

Guest alijmitchell

I mean like a two footed plant if you get me. Yes the attacking team should have the advantage, but not to the point where it is an almost guaranteed goal. It’s especially complicated by the fact that so many ‘fouls’ are subjective even through VAR. As such the combination of the two thing weakens both the integrity of the sport, enjoyment for the viewer, and balance of fairness in defence vs attack.

The Scottish keeper last night would have still saved the penalty had she stayed on her line though. I also think it should be black and white now, no grey areas and I think the PL have bottled it by not using VAR for this next season.

She probably would have done, yeah. I wasn’t particularly talking about that game tbh, but yes I agree. Mostly because it was a badly struck pen. The vast majority of pen takers in the PL are so skilled at putting the ball in the corners that I believe the rule makes it even easier to put it in the net. I agree on the black and white though. If you have VAR you shoul be very clear on the rules.

However, since rules are essentially a bunch of conventions that have been developed over time and are subject to the contextual/societal  norms and subjective interpretation of the fans, refs and players playing the game in whatever league, you’re never ever going to get a set of black and white rules. Which is why I think VAR should be stopped, and the best we can hope for is to appropriately balance defence and attack in the game.

Too harsh to say that the USA ladies seem to have a much better feel for the game than the USA men?

Presumably more of the top female athletes in America play football compared to the men. Is football the most popular sport among females in America? Also obviously not as competitive as the men's game

Yes, you are right from the point of view of the top athletes.

I'm speaking more of the feel for the game though. The kind of thing you get from growing up watching the game all the time I guess.

I think the men's game will really benefit from the coverage of the European game over there going forward. For example when I was in uni over there I pretty much missed football for 5 years. There was no coverage at all.

I don't know what the most popular sport is but it's definitely up there if it's not.

And not at all harsh to say the women have a better than feel for the game than the men. They definitely do

I don't know what the most popular sport is but it's definitely up there if it's not.

And not at all harsh to say the women have a better than feel for the game than the men. They definitely do

Yeah, it's so evident.

I'm guessing the quality of the women's club game is really high over there? And so they grow up watching that if they play as kids?

Just seen the Cameroon highlights. Sensational second goal from their number 3.

Great goal that could very well send our Falcons home.

I would say that it is easier to have a "feel for the game" when you have vastly superior athletes. The gap between the US and either other top level sides is staggering, they are relentless.

I mean like a two footed plant if you get me. Yes the attacking team should have the advantage, but not to the point where it is an almost guaranteed goal. It’s especially complicated by the fact that so many ‘fouls’ are subjective even through VAR. As such the combination of the two thing weakens both the integrity of the sport, enjoyment for the viewer, and balance of fairness in defence vs attack.

The Scottish keeper last night would have still saved the penalty had she stayed on her line though. I also think it should be black and white now, no grey areas and I think the PL have bottled it by not using VAR for this next season.

She probably would have done, yeah. I wasn’t particularly talking about that game tbh, but yes I agree. Mostly because it was a badly struck pen. The vast majority of pen takers in the PL are so skilled at putting the ball in the corners that I believe the rule makes it even easier to put it in the net. I agree on the black and white though. If you have VAR you shoul be very clear on the rules.

However, since rules are essentially a bunch of conventions that have been developed over time and are subject to the contextual/societal  norms and subjective interpretation of the fans, refs and players playing the game in whatever league, you’re never ever going to get a set of black and white rules. Which is why I think VAR should be stopped, and the best we can hope for is to appropriately balance defence and attack in the game.

But if the forward is skilled taking a penalty, why should the keeper gain an advantage by encroaching? They’ve already been given an advantage by the law changing from both feet on the line, to part of a foot.

All not using technology is going to achieve here is referees’ instinctive ‘sub-conscious’ bias staying in the game. They’ll hide behind their interpretation of encroaching to give penalties when they see fit (ie, favouring the big clubs) as usual.

VAR gave the chance to for the Premier League to make it one rule across the board, and they’ve refused it. Convenient eh?

More VAR nonsense. If that player is offside how can that not count as interefering with play? She pulls over 2 defenders clearing up the player to score. And it deflects to her from a defender covering the offside player.

VAR is just shite and the sport doesn’t need it.

what is the point of var when takes so much time, disrupts the game and gets the decision fucking wrong?!!

We could do with another ref reviewing it and just then informing the ref on the pitch in their ear.

The reviewing off the pitch and then the ref going to the sideline to then review again, really is ridiculous.

More VAR nonsense. If that player is offside how can that not count as interefering with play? She pulls over 2 defenders clearing up the player to score. And it deflects to her from a defender covering the offside player.

Again, it’s not VAR nonsense, it’s reffing nonsense. With no VAR, there’s a goal that shouldn’t have stood. With VAR there’s an opportunity to get the decision right. We just need better refs.

Again, it’s not VAR nonsense, it’s reffing nonsense. With no VAR, there’s a goal that shouldn’t have stood. With VAR there’s an opportunity to get the decision right. We just need better refs.

Without VAR the linesman probably just flags for offside. With VAR what’s the point? It will get reviewed anyway.

But yeah I take the point. Shite ref. Like in the Scotland game.

Yeah. Although i’m not convinced the lino would have flagged - I didn’t spot the offside until the replay and it was tight in real time. The ref just fucked it up.

Crazy storms here and flash flood warnings so the satellite signal’s gone :(.

what is the point of var when takes so much time, disrupts the game and gets the decision fucking wrong?!!

Yeah but we’re gonna finish top 5 with it because every team cheats against us. We’re gonna score 4 penalties every match because corrupt refs hate us but var doesn’t

Guest chopey

#GER v #NGA

#NOR v #AUS

#ENG v #CMR

#FRA v #BRA

#ESP v #USA

#SWE v #CAN

#ITA v #CHN

#NED v #JPN

Cracking draw.

Nigeria go through! YAHOOOOO!

Two African sides to the last 16, after only 1 in the prior history of the entire tournament. Congratualtions to the Falcons and Lionesses.

Wow, didn't know that. Kudos to them both.