Steve Brute

LoveItIfWeBeatU

As frustrating as it is seeing his mates defend him in the media, does the general public really care for the people talking? There’s very few pundits who seem to be universally respected and that certainly doesn’t include people like Lawro, Pardew, Sherwood, Pulis etc. On the other hand Sky have shared enough stats that reflect terribly on Bruce - I really doubt the public ignores them and simply forms their opinion based on some idiot pundits.

People voted for Brexit and the Tories. They'll believe what they're told.

True, but it really doesn’t matter what ignorant people think ultimately. Unfortunately Bruce won’t go soon regardless.

I barely even think there’s much point slating fanbases of other teams for their opinions. Chances are they’re better informed on their managers having paid far more attention to their team.

As frustrating as it is seeing his mates defend him in the media, does the general public really care for the people talking? There’s very few pundits who seem to be universally respected and that certainly doesn’t include people like Lawro, Pardew, Sherwood, Pulis etc. On the other hand Sky have shared enough stats that reflect terribly on Bruce - I really doubt the public ignores them and simply forms their opinion based on some idiot pundits.

Can we have one thread were politics can get the fuck off, just one, please.

Amen

Don't bring religion into this.

:lol:

A spectacular collapse is always on the horizon with this cunt.

I absolutely believe that in top level games where tactics matter, the total absence of any tactical plan put forward by this fat bastard is something that other managers genuinely struggle with.

Think there might be something in this tbh. :lol:

Daniel Storey knows his onions!

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-losers-grealish-solksjaer-arsenal

Newcastle’s grim reality

The issue is not that Newcastle United lose every week. This would be far easier if they did. They were deserved winners against Everton last weekend. They’re four points behind the top four and seven above a pretty wretched bottom three. They aren’t in any serious danger of being relegated.

But then the sanctuary of mid-table offers reason for criticism as well as praise. It should give Newcastle and Steve Bruce a freedom of expression that their manager seems intent to limit. Newcastle to not set up to impose their authority in the opposition’s half but to stymie their threat and hope something positive comes out of it. They seem to win by good fortune and lose by logical design.

If that all sounds a bit harsh on Bruce, the numbers back it up. Newcastle rank 20th in the Premier League for shots faced and shots on target faced. They rank 20th on shots taken per game and shots on target managed per game too. They are increasingly reliant on their goalkeeper being brilliant, their opponents missing chances and a determination to grind out points in adversity.

That last characteristic is clearly a strength rather than weakness, but it isn’t unreasonable to ask whether Bruce could be doing a little more to make Newcastle a team that at least shows an ambition to attempt free-flowing attacking football.

We’re not asking for Total Football here, just an attacking strategy that aims to get the best out of a collection of potentially excellent attacking players. Bruce does now have a reliable centre forward and exciting wide players in Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin. But both those wingers are having their spirit broken by the necessity to drop so deep to pick up possession and their place in a team that averages 39% possession and plays more long balls than any other team in the league bar Burnley.

It’s something I wrote about here, but watching your team solely on television rather than live in the stadium changes the perception of this style of football. Grabbing an ill-gotten away point despite barely trying to create chances takes on a positive glow when you travel back up the country with your robbed spoils safely locked in the car boot. But watching Newcastle on television provides enjoyment only to the masochist.

Football isn’t only about entertainment; it’s silly to say as much. But there does need to be a balance, and when Newcastle are so deliberately blunt in the final third it’s fair to accuse Bruce of missing that balance. Newcastle can dream bigger than this. Bruce can dream bigger than this. They have the players that mean they don’t have to play this way anymore. If Bruce wants to stick to his Plan A, fine. But he can’t feign surprise at the resulting criticism when it fails.

He seems to have a lot less support on social media, far less than any other manager I can remember. Obviously there’s still a few but I think fans being made to actually watch the football and not be taken in by the day out is making people see him and our football for what it is.

It’s the lack of basic 1 on 1 coaching that annoys me - how many of our players have improved under him? None

Compare that to the improvements players made under Rafa - ok, we are comparing a Ferrari to a Lada, but hasn’t this buffoon been in the coaching business for 20+ years? What’s he been doing all these years?

https://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-losers-grealish-solksjaer-arsenal

Newcastle’s grim reality

The issue is not that Newcastle United lose every week. This would be far easier if they did. They were deserved winners against Everton last weekend. They’re four points behind the top four and seven above a pretty wretched bottom three. They aren’t in any serious danger of being relegated.

But then the sanctuary of mid-table offers reason for criticism as well as praise. It should give Newcastle and Steve Bruce a freedom of expression that their manager seems intent to limit. Newcastle to not set up to impose their authority in the opposition’s half but to stymie their threat and hope something positive comes out of it. They seem to win by good fortune and lose by logical design.

If that all sounds a bit harsh on Bruce, the numbers back it up. Newcastle rank 20th in the Premier League for shots faced and shots on target faced. They rank 20th on shots taken per game and shots on target managed per game too. They are increasingly reliant on their goalkeeper being brilliant, their opponents missing chances and a determination to grind out points in adversity.

That last characteristic is clearly a strength rather than weakness, but it isn’t unreasonable to ask whether Bruce could be doing a little more to make Newcastle a team that at least shows an ambition to attempt free-flowing attacking football.

We’re not asking for Total Football here, just an attacking strategy that aims to get the best out of a collection of potentially excellent attacking players. Bruce does now have a reliable centre forward and exciting wide players in Miguel Almiron and Allan Saint-Maximin. But both those wingers are having their spirit broken by the necessity to drop so deep to pick up possession and their place in a team that averages 39% possession and plays more long balls than any other team in the league bar Burnley.

It’s something I wrote about here, but watching your team solely on television rather than live in the stadium changes the perception of this style of football. Grabbing an ill-gotten away point despite barely trying to create chances takes on a positive glow when you travel back up the country with your robbed spoils safely locked in the car boot. But watching Newcastle on television provides enjoyment only to the masochist.

Football isn’t only about entertainment; it’s silly to say as much. But there does need to be a balance, and when Newcastle are so deliberately blunt in the final third it’s fair to accuse Bruce of missing that balance. Newcastle can dream bigger than this. Bruce can dream bigger than this. They have the players that mean they don’t have to play this way anymore. If Bruce wants to stick to his Plan A, fine. But he can’t feign surprise at the resulting criticism when it fails.

Whilst the article is correct in a sense, Ashley's the problem, not Bruce.

Who would be happy with slightly better football, but still no intention to compete or improve?

This club is so fucked.

Newcastle’s grim reality

Who would be happy with slightly better football, but still no intention to compete or improve?

This club is so fucked.

Ashley is the is the main problem at the club, but we have the players now to at least give it a go. Overall I think our squad is fairly solid and should be pushing for 10th. Saying Ashley is the problem is just giving Bruce a free pass.

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can’t trust people.

You're right Ashley is the problem but any half decent manager would have us playing much better football with the squad Bruce has. We could be looking at a top half finish, so there's no excusing Bruce either

I don't care about a top half finish though. I want my football club back  :lol:

Newcastle’s grim reality

This club is so fucked.

Ashley is the is the main problem at the club, but we have the players now to at least give it a go. Overall I think our squad is fairly solid and should be pushing for 10th. Saying Ashley is the problem is just giving Bruce a free pass.

Yep. Ashley shouldn’t be an excuse or a free pass for Bruce. He’s had the budget to do far better.

You're right Ashley is the problem but any half decent manager would have us playing much better football with the squad Bruce has. We could be looking at a top half finish, so there's no excusing Bruce either

I don't care about a top half finish though. I want my football club back  :lol:

Yeah me too, but when Rafa was managing us I tolerated Ashley a lot more than I do now. If Ashley had of gave Rafa the money he gave Bruce for transfers we'd be in a lot better position now and Ashley would just be in the background.

Yeah me too, but when Rafa was managing us I tolerated Ashley a lot more than I do now. If Ashley had of gave Rafa the money he gave Bruce for transfers we'd be in a lot better position now and Ashley would just be in the background.

100% agreed. Rafa would have us top 8 by now and sensing progress.

This fucking oaf is a total waste of everyones time.  No club goes anywhere under Bruce, let alone a Mike Fucking Ashley club that doesn't even want to go anywhere.

Jesus - they really are out in force backing him! Some of their comments - bellends!

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dont-you-think-steve-bruce-19243399.amp?__twitter_impression=true

This is the bit that pissed me off the most.

Peter: No - I want to see us play positive, exciting football. I'd love to finish in the top six but Steve Bruce will never achieve that.

Chris Sutton: You think you would have with Rafa Benitez?

Peter: If Rafa Benitez had had the backing that Steve Bruce has had, then yes I do.

Chris Sutton: Oh don't be ridiculous.

What sort of answer is that like? How on earth is it ridiculous to suggest that Rafa could take us higher up the table than he did, possibly top 6, if he'd had the backing Bruce has had? Look at Leicester, Wolves, Sheff Utd (last season). Why is it so ridiculous to suggest Rafa could challenge for top 6 with decent backing. It's as if pundits are saying "shut up and know your place".

And if Sutton was talking about exciting positive football rather than finishing top 6, then the same arguement applies.

Rafa has this myth that follows him that he plays shite football. Yes, we did at times but that was solely because of the tools he had at his disposal. I'm sure I seen some stats on here from his times at Liverpool, Real Madrid, Valencia and Napoli that totally disproved this arguement that he plays negative football. So why couldn't he have done it here if he had the backing Bruce has had.

Bruce is somewhat taking the spotlight off Ashley though, so he's a problem. As long as people realise that the ultimate aim is to get rid of Ashley it doesn't really matter who the manager is.

I see both sides of the argument re relegation, but ideally we need to avoid it by 1 point every season until Ashley sells up. Hopefully then every single fan will realise that it really isn't good enough, but we're still a club someone might want to purchase and improve.

Bruce is somewhat taking the spotlight off Ashley though, so he's a problem. As long as people realise that the ultimate aim is to get rid of Ashley it doesn't really matter who the manager is.

I see both sides of the argument re relegation, but ideally we need to avoid it by 1 point every season until Ashley sells up. Hopefully then every single fan will realise that it really isn't good enough, but we're still a club someone might want to purchase and improve.

Circular argument but Ashley won't hire a manager that isn't prepared to take the spotlight. In a sense, you can understand Bruce trying every trick in the book to make his time in the spotlight comfortable. Doesn't excuse him.

Ashley wouldn't give Rafa the money or tools needed, that's the point. No desire to compete or improve.

Lets say we get rid of Bruce and get someone a bit better. Ashley will just hamstring them like he did with Rafa anyway.

We will never consistently strive to improve under Ashley, so it's pointless talking as if we can.

Wilson and Fraser look like they'll both be out a while with hamstring tears.

It's so nice to be returning back to the days where the sick bay was always packed nice and full.

Bruce is doing Doctor Death a favour as he was feeling lonely under Rafa.

Amongst the many questions never asked of these baseless defences of Bruce

If Bruce's former club can beat Arsenal 3-0 and Liverpool 7-2 in their 2nd season back in the Premier League, how come Bruce's current club in their 4th season in the Premier League can't manage that many shots against anybody and can only dream of doing the same.

I'm sure, as ever, it will be something to do with expectation of fans to which I'd like also to ask 'how does expectation of fans make a team play so negatively and be so distinctly second best in most games?' telekenetic powers presumably.