Joelinton

Stifler

It’s obvious our squad isn’t properly fit. I think he can find an extra yard of pace if that can be improved on, is it enough? If you can teach him positional anticipation, I think he has the footwork and size to be a force in the middle (until January anyway..)

1 hour ago, Chris_R said:

Yeah I thought he looked good when he came on, however he seems to lack the acceleration that you need to play wide.

Everyone gets a clean slate starting from when we appoint a new manager though.

Except Shelvey, I hope he stubs his toe, really badly.

Would probably fit into a 4411 reasonably well, two up front who can hold up the ball or flick it on, and both press reasonably well and intelligently.

With a good manager we might see a different player, would like to see it as he does try when he is on the pitch...

11 hours ago, Espio said:

Except Shelvey, I hope he stubs his toe, really badly.

Not sure he even walks fast enough to manage a hard toe stub. So I hope he steps on a Lego.

As for Joelinton, I can still remember the bewilderment on both men's faces when he was introduced to Bruce for the first time!

Don't forget, he's had two and a bit years of being thoroughly Bruced and played out of position in a stinking team, with all the expectations his fee brings.

Other than odd flashes, it's been hard to see what he brings in any role. So, I'm actually really interested to see how a manager with a working brain uses him - and he'll need him the squad at least till Jan, so he may have to.

Maybe being coached properly and consistently in a specific role will help us see if there's any sort of player in there.

I think there's a salvageable player there. Not a £40m player, but everyone was already sceptical of that price tag anyway. Am I right in remembering a few rumours that Rafa had looked at him and wouldn't have been that against getting him in were it not for the price tag wasting most of that summer's budget?

He's got the physical tools to be useful if a good manager can make use of those tools.

I'm absolutely staggered that people on here are still trying to shoehorn Joelinton into our new set up.  He's hopeless! Why are some of you convinced that Eddie Howe can somehow make him run faster, hold the ball up, be amazing in the air or become a goal machine?  He's been here quite a while now and I have seen nothing at all that tells me he is a professional footballer.  Just stop imagining what kind of player he could be for god sake and see him for what he is.  Shite!

4 minutes ago, Rod said:

I'm absolutely staggered that people on here are still trying to shoehorn Joelinton into our new set up.  He's hopeless! Why are some of you convinced that Eddie Howe can somehow make him run faster, hold the ball up, be amazing in the air or become a goal machine?  He's been here quite a while now and I have seen nothing at all that tells me he is a professional footballer.  Just stop imagining what kind of player he could be for god sake and see him for what he is.  Shite!

I think it's fair for people to be prepared to give him a chance under a proper manager and coach. Poor sod has only known Steve Bruce.
I'm sure no one is expecting a world class player to suddenly emerge but under better guidance, he might just be able to play a part.

Don't think he is going to be world class but until the team really starts seeing whole sale changes over next season or so he could definitely be better, I do think we will see improvement in a few players him included, tbf looked pretty good when came on last game.

6 hours ago, Raconteur said:

You know, if Eddie turns into a player, there’s no doubt quotes from people buried deep, deep within this thread that will make for amusing bumping :bluestar:

Definitely be amused if Howe becomes player-manager.

It all boils down to the clean slate that they are given under a proper manager. If they do well, great we have options. If they don't, ship them out.

Joelinton and Almiron are two who might benefit from the new setup. Time will tell.

On 07/11/2021 at 15:25, Dr Jinx said:

If Rafa was here, this guy would be Diame mkII. His place is obviously much deeper.

That pass for Wilson last night was exquisite too btw.

How is it obvious that he should play much deeper? How deep are you suggesting?

I cant wait to see how he responds to Howe like. Same with Hendrick and especially Lewis.

I can't see big Jow becoming world class but if Howe can find his best spot or give him some specific instructions and a job to do, then hopefully he should improve.