Joelinton

Stifler

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Hasn't got the killer pass nor finishing touch in him - I prefer him as a traditional defensive midfielder, winning the ball and simple release passes to more technically gifted players.  Love watching him get stuck in - the lad clearly enjoys nowt more than a hard, clean challenge.

I think he is built for the midfield destroyer role, his ability to get the ball forward from anywhere on the pitch can not be overstated. I can't believe people think we need a CDM. He and Bruno are absolute beasts in that pivot. We've got a very capable, and well organised defence, that doesn't need babysitting. 

Sure if we were still a Bruce team, then playing Bruno in that position would be to waste his abilities, but we're going with the high press so he'll be exactly where he can do most damage. 

I think we need a creative passer who is very good at keeping the ball to complement, we still struggle to control games and slow things down with keep ball. That would balance well with Bruno and Joelinton imo

22 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I think we need a creative passer who is very good at keeping the ball to complement, we still struggle to control games and slow things down with keep ball. That would balance well with Bruno and Joelinton imo

Paq-man or Eriksen.

Guest HTT II
7 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Imagine if that was the highlights of a potential new singing. We'd be going nuts. 

If he could do that as a CF he’d be Drogba levels. I’m happy for him to remain as a midfield destroyer type, I’d still prefer a proper DCM, but if he is to start, I’d like us to sign a playmaker in the Eriksen/Paqueta mould as I think Bruno can develop into a box to box midfielder. 

It'll be interesting to see him and Bruno's communication with each other after a full pre-season. A midfielder of similar quality and we have potentially a trio of midfielders that will be good enough for the next 10 years, exciting stuff.

How he was so bad at holding up the ball and retaining possession leading the line I'll never know. He's one of the strongest players in the league.

I don't care about the naysayers, for me he's one of the best midfielders in the league and the first name on the team sheet. This is Joelinton's world and we're just living in it.

Just now, HawK said:

How he was so bad at holding up the ball and retaining possession leading the line I'll never know. He's one of the strongest players in the league.

I don't care about the naysayers, for me he's one of the best midfielders in the league and the first name on the team sheet. This is Joelinton's world and we're just living in it.

Yep. It's weird how the same skills and strength that's seen him receive the ball under pressure, turn his man and make runs forward, shrug off players physically, little one two's and nicking it off people leaving them worse off for it... you'd expect some of that would have seen him be a presence up front at least. 

I really love the new him for us and I think he will get better in this new position. The fact he added some goals too was great, hopefully more to come from him.

26 minutes ago, HawK said:

24 minutes ago, hakka said:

Yep. It's weird how the same skills and strength that's seen him receive the ball under pressure, turn his man and make runs forward, shrug off players physically, little one two's and nicking it off people leaving them worse off for it... you'd expect some of that would have seen him be a presence up front at least. 

I really love the new him for us and I think he will get better in this new position. The fact he added some goals too was great, hopefully more to come from him.

I think he just thrives when he has space to drive us forward, with a target ahead of him.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

I think he just thrives when he has space to drive us forward, with a target ahead of him.

Wish he did this while at #9, using the goal as the target [emoji38]

I think it may be slightly more complicated in fairness, he is often tackling and muscling off midfielders trying to beat him running past, as a forward Centre backs are not likely to do this (for the reason of this may happen). When pressing high it is important you do it as a unit generally, (apart from just the odd pressure to make goalie relinquish ball) as centre backs nowadays will likely pass it between them and full backs. Joelinton was alone up front a lot and easily bypassed. In centre mid, more players around, more crowded, pressures more likely to work.

Thought he was losing his edge a bit towards the end of the season, which was no surprise given he barely had a pre-season due to Brucey and then was playing with a groin injury throughout. If he's able to get himself to peak condition before next season, I can only see him kicking on and getting better.

Guest HTT II

I could be wrong but didn’t our possession stats increase when he was off the pitch?

Edited by HTT II

His passing stats are not great for a centre mid. I think what disguises this is that Joelinton, maybe showing his instincts he got when playing further forward almost immediately looks to release someone in the transition, in that highlight reel you so often see he's got posession and he's very quick to try and ambition pass. This looks good, is good but he's not seeking to recycle posession much and his stats at doing so indicate he's going for riskier option often. He's tremendous if you are looking to break, which by and large we were. If we are looking to control a game there are still some questions, but this is why i want a really comfortable calm passer as 3rd midfield option, then we can get better posession stats. Joelinton is not super suited to keeping the ball

Id love the see a video of his whole season.

All the clips of him scuffing shots, tripping over the grass, getting confused over having 2 feet, Bruces constipated face then Clark getting sent off, then the clips in that 7 minute vid, Longstaffs defense of him and then that player of the year award.

Would be amazing to properly show the monster player he became.

4 hours ago, HawK said:

His ball retention is still bad tbf, although I don't think it's quite as bad as the stats suggest.

It's weird because he deffinitely has the quality to carry the ball forwards like Rice, but something doesn't quite click so he's nowhere near as consistent doing it and I'm not even sure what it is [emoji38]

He's very erratic, for the good and the bad that it brings.

To put it simply hes a good ball carrier but not a great progressive passer, if hes not driving forward after just winning or receiving the ball then hes making a simple pass backwards or sideways. Love him to death but I think he would be most effective coming on at 60/70 mins against tired legs.