Joelinton

Stifler

Fraser and Murphy have to be the wide men until ASM returns. Jo should be nailed to the bench. I’m sure Bruce would privately admit that he had to name a player he’d loved to have been up against through the middle it’d be Jo.

I actually have a little bit of sympathy with Jo now. He’s just not good enough/ not suited to the PL. We’ve come along paid stupid money for him with a contract he couldn’t turn down. I don’t actually know how we’ll manage to get rid of him.

Can't believe there are still people trying to defend this donkey.

Don't see anyone defending him mind.

He's always the number 1 blame figure every single game though on here, always his thread at the top even when he wasn't the worst on the pitch :lol:

Still plenty on the facebook nufc pages, unbelievably themag called his performance against Villa as "great".

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or did Joelinton actually look like a footballer against Spurs? Not just the goal, but put he himself about and made some nice touches.

And no, I'm not saying he's the new Firmino, just that he actually looked like a footballer for once...

Must admit, I thought he was still crap.  He took his goal well but he shouldn’t be missing that. He took a shot a little earlier that was truly awful, he missed 1, possibly 2 good chances. He runs like he’s in treading water and he’s not a threat.

If we’re now saying Jo is ok then we really are in trouble. I’m sure he’s trying his best and that says it all.

16 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

Must admit, I thought he was still crap.  He took his goal well but he shouldn’t be missing that. He took a shot a little earlier that was truly awful, he missed 1, possibly 2 good chances. He runs like he’s in treading water and he’s not a threat.

If we’re now saying Jo is ok then we really are in trouble. I’m sure he’s trying his best and that says it all.

Don’t think anyone is saying he’s now ok, he played reasonably well yesterday and so he should, I expect that performance as the minimum in future and in time he will be threat .We are in trouble , is he trying his best? I don’t think he has been, it needs a manager who understands him and brings out the player some fucker paid £40m for .We saw yesterday there is something there, the key is getting that out of him week in week out then his development will come. Fingers crossed, he wasn’t crap by the way (I’ve lambasted him in the past) however I agree he needs to learn how to finish.

A run of a few goals just may make him a player to trust and make him believe in himself .Bruce however may not get it out of him? 

3 hours ago, Tsunami said:

He isn't and he never has. He saunters around like it's a PE lesson.

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

What was the truly awful shot?

He is a good player, he just isn't a striker.  If we had bought him for 15m and not playing him as a striker, we wouldn't have a problem with him.

The problem is that he is being played as a striker.  Haven't seen canny shot from him or a killer instinct.  

Seemed a fairly typical game to me, always thought his link play was quite good, if a bit hit and miss. The real difference yesterday was he got in goal scoring positions which he's not done much previously. Nice finish as well. What frustrates is that he could cause a lot more problems if he was a bit more aggressive, he has a turn of pace which we don't see much. 

4 minutes ago, sturla said:

He is a good player, he just isn't a striker.  If we had bought him for 15m and not playing him as a striker, we wouldn't have a problem with him.

The problem is that he is being played as a striker.  Haven't seen canny shot from him or a killer instinct.  

What's he good at? I.e. what remarkable quality does he have which makes him a £15m [whatever position you think he is]? 

Never been convinced by the 'not a striker' argument. I think he probably IS one. Just one who isn't capable of playing in the PL. He'd probably hit double figures playing up front in a reasonable Championship side imo. 

He definitely has ability but his general lack of finishing really impacts his usefulness as an inside forward and he's definitely not a striker. He is not able to hold up the ball or create in a second striker/no 10 role really either. I suspect in the right system he could be handy out wide if he can be drilled into focusing on beating a defender and squaring balls across goal  and maybe his finishing can be polished up, however he's one of those whose occasional flourishes make you think there's a player in there but I am not sure. Maybe in a league with more amenable defending he could be a better player, and maybe he could click and find his shooting boots. The problem is he is one of those players capable of getting in shooting positions so if he was quick on the trigger and accurate by rights he should score plenty, like he did yesterday, however that has thus far evaded him.  

Edited by Tiresias

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

What's he good at? I.e. what remarkable quality does he have which makes him a £15m [whatever position you think he is]? 

Never been convinced by the 'not a striker' argument. I think he probably IS one. Just one who isn't capable of playing in the PL. He'd probably hit double figures playing up front in a reasonable Championship side imo. 

What he's good at is his reading of the game, and his decision-making about what to do in possession. 

Trouble is, he's slow off the mark, and his first touch is dodgy. It's like his body isn't allowing him to do what he sees that he ought to do. With the pace of the Premiership, he therefore always looks vulnerable to losing the ball. 

I was ready to write him off a few weeks ago, but he's shown a remarkable resilience and an ability to adapt, mainly by using his strength. He is improving, because he does have both determination and brains. How far that's going to take him, I'm not sure.

Edited by Cronky

13 minutes ago, Cronky said:

What he's good at is his reading of the game, and his decision-making about what to do in possession. 

Trouble is, he's slow off the mark, and his first touch is dodgy. It's like his body isn't allowing him to do what he sees that he ought to do. With the pace of the Premiership, he therefore always looks vulnerable to losing the ball. 

I was ready to write him off a few weeks ago, but he's shown a remarkable resilience and an ability to adapt, mainly by using his strength. He is improving, because he does have both determination and brains. How far that's going to take him, I'm not sure.

Nope, nope, nope

Joelinton is a total enigma, he's probably a really nice chap and I feel for him leaving Nagelsmann to come to work for Bruce and this shit show of a club, but he's never going to turn it around here unless the club is sold and a manager takes him under his wing and spends a ton of time working on his game. 

He did well by his standards yesterday and I'd probably give him a chance if there was a change of manager/takeover but he just doesn't look like any sort of footballer. His touches are dreadful and he seems so slow.