Joelinton

Stifler

Guest neesy111

I actually think we improved after he went off though even though he played well before his injury as it brought a more suitable midfield shape.

14 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, he already had a lot of support tape on the inside of his leg. 

Been carrying a groin problem since Howe came in, apparently, and is playing through pain.

Makes his recent performances all the more impressive.

He has won me over big time, his height and strength allows him to ease opposition players off the ball without fouling them and conceding a free kick.  He can also make a tidy pass and bring other players into play...Well impressed with the work ethic and turn around. 

I hope he can rest that groin injury in SA for a couple of weeks and get back to full strength. 

14 hours ago, neesy111 said:

I actually think we improved after he went off though even though he played well before his injury as it brought a more suitable midfield shape.

Yeah, logic dictates that he should be out of the team and we play two natural CMs and an attacking mid to close the gap to our lone striker. Unfortunately (but also fortunately) his form has made him undroppable, forcing us to play a flatter 3 with him semi-wide. Would be interesting to see him in a two so we can keep a more natural shape, but it's a hell of a gamble at this stage.

3 minutes ago, Northerngimp said:

He has won me over big time, his height and strength allows him to ease opposition players off the ball without fouling them and conceding a free kick.  He can also make a tidy pass and bring other players into play...Well impressed with the work ethic and turn around. 

I hope he can rest that groin injury in SA for a couple of weeks and get back to full strength. 

Someone mentioned Mousa Dembele which I think is pretty much perfect like. I think he'll eventually simplify his game a bit too for the better.

It looks like he's always played in that position not switched at the age of 25. My player of the season so far. I never thought I'd be saying that.

Edited by duo

14 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Personally I thought the improvement was more down to Manquillo for Dum.

Guest neesy111
9 minutes ago, duo said:

Personally I thought the improvement was more down to Manquillo for Dum.

He also improved us as well but we were awful for the first 30 mins and we had our best spell for the first half after he went off.

Anyone else think that since Joe has come into the middle, he looks so, so strong? I mean, he shrugs people off the ball with absolute ease, people can't take it off him easily. He's a huge presence. He must have something drilled into him from a young age about playing for fouls and free-kicks in the attacking third, because he looked weak as piss up top. If he had used half the strength he's showing now in midfield, he'd have been a handful at least, even if he can't score to save his life.

20 minutes ago, HawK said:

Anyone else think that since Joe has come into the middle, he looks so, so strong? I mean, he shrugs people off the ball with absolute ease, people can't take it off him easily. He's a huge presence. He must have something drilled into him from a young age about playing for fouls and free-kicks in the attacking third, because he looked weak as piss up top. If he had used half the strength he's showing now in midfield, he'd have been a handful at least, even if he can't score to save his life.

Think he's just less adept at playing with his back to the goal, and with centre backs pushing right up on him. It just wasn't his thing. Different kind of strength and balance required for that, as you're going up against bigger more physical defenders in those instances and in the prem especially they're given a lot more leeway to be really physical in those situations.

Edited by KaKa

5 hours ago, HawK said:

I said it somewhere else, but the way he shapes his body is brilliant, he never seems committed to the direction his momentum should carry him, if that makes sense, almost like he can change direction in mid air.

But yeah his strength is immense too, he just bullies people off the ball. It looks like he fouls people a lot, but they just bounce off him.

Edited by Happinesstan

He overthinks and has more of a mental block the nearer he gets to the Penalty box. He seems more comfortable in the middle of the park, like the pressure is off in his head. He was doing very similar things when playing further up the pitch, control, short passing and hold up play was there. Definitely just seems more suited playing in midfield. Hope he stays there and Howe isn't tempted to try him further up the pitch again if we get a DM and CM in. 

4 hours ago, jonny1403 said:

According to the Athletic his injury isn't a minor one, and he's been carrying a groin injury for a while.

Aye, Shelvey, Almiron, Longstaff, Frazer… and most of the team!

I'm not surprised if his injury is serious, he had that part of his groin taped up already so it was clear something wasn't right. Big shame, as I'm gutted he's out now whereas a couple of months ago I'd be quite pleased to see him sidelined.

For a big lad though, his shooting has so little power. It's hilariously bad, irrespective of if he stays in midfield or not (I hope he does), he really needs to spend some time working on putting his foot through the ball properly.