Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

7 hours ago, Cronky said:

His ability to run at defenders has been a huge asset for us, particularly when we don't have much ability to carve out chances through passing our way towards the opposition box. 

However, I don't think he's quite such an attractive proposition for the CL clubs. He plays very much as a individual, loses the ball a lot and doesn't always link well with his team mates. He won't fit in as well with a possession-based, passing team.

The fact that he's ended up with us must say something.

Eh? Some of his passing has been unreal, recently.

6 hours ago, Holmesy said:

I think that’s a really good point - it’s less a question of if he’s capable of doing it, but more whether he’d enjoy playing that sort of role. He’s clearly a player who loves playing and thrives on freedom - that’s one of the reasons he’s such a joy to watch. It would be a sad day seeing ASM cutting a dejected figure in a stifled role even in a much more successful team. Or a super-sub role at a club with a massive squad, like Chelsea - he’d absolutely hate that. His own ambition could be his own worst enemy in that respect. Having said that, Mahrez is thriving at Man City and he’s a similar sort of player. 

Time will no doubt tell.

Similar to Zaha at Palace 3-4 years ago. Probably could’ve joined someone like Arsenal but he’d not have been able to do the same things he does at Palace.

ASM is undoubtedly talented but he’s scored less goals in the league that both big Joe and Almiron this season. He’s a stand out player for us but wouldn’t be much use for most of the upwardly mobile teams in the league.

1 hour ago, Away Toon said:

ASM is undoubtedly talented but he’s scored less goals in the league that both big Joe and Almiron this season. He’s a stand out player for us but wouldn’t be much use for most of the upwardly mobile teams in the league.

The talent is certainly there and with proper coaching and attitude he could go far. You’re right though would one of the so called ‘super league’ teams be prepared to take that chance. Maybe an Everton, Leicester or West Ham would. He is also quite injury prone which may also put teams off. Been thinking on this today actually and unless one of the three teams I listed takes a chance, I can see clubs waiting to see his output over the next season first. Maybe one of the top teams will think that with better players around him, that his game and output will improve dramatically - I believe it maybe would also. He’s still only 24 also. Ashley mind will be asking top dollar for him and he is usually a stickler for getting big fees for players with value. 

Edited by et tu brute

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...