Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

If Howe can form a relationship with asm then i'm confident he can coach him to be a much better player in terms of his positioning. It is very obvious that oppo teams deliberately foul him when he tries to transition and counter around the half way line, and that they fear doing so in the final third. I'd just have him switching wings throughout the game and to be the guy who receives the pass from transition and not other way round. Almiron bringing it out would be better, similar to what Jonas used to do. My only fear with ASM is that he doesn't like strict coaches, and i suspect thats what g jones has been doing. Up to Howe to see how he handles that aspect to get the best out of him mentally. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

We're not anywhere near being one of the better teams at the minute though. ASM has been isolated up top under Jones, playing in a system that's designed to sit back and soak up pressure for 90 minutes. Granted, it hasn't stopped Wilson from putting a shift in but everybody's different to some extent. ASM will come good again, he's out of form - nothing more nothing less. If we have a Wilson and ASM playing well we'll survive. 

I agree totally and it's probably the lack of service, frustration and confidence also but I'm sure his energy will improve, just last few games he's looked leggy but as you said I'm sure he will pick up 

4 hours ago, Thorpinho said:

If Howe can form a relationship with asm then i'm confident he can coach him to be a much better player in terms of his positioning. It is very obvious that oppo teams deliberately foul him when he tries to transition and counter around the half way line, and that they fear doing so in the final third. I'd just have him switching wings throughout the game and to be the guy who receives the pass from transition and not other way round. Almiron bringing it out would be better, similar to what Jonas used to do. My only fear with ASM is that he doesn't like strict coaches, and i suspect thats what g jones has been doing. Up to Howe to see how he handles that aspect to get the best out of him mentally. 

There is a difference between strict and inspirational. I don't know much about Howe but he appears to be in the latter camp. That's why I liked his "not criticism just different" comment.

So, it was at Newcastle that you realised that performances were more important than enjoyment?

I’m not doing something easy here. I’m still not getting the chance to develop in a team with 10 top players who are all internationals. Obviously, I know that when I get that opportunity, everything will change in terms of my stats and my contribution.

It’s surprising in the sense that it was your decision, wasn’t it? When you signed for Newcastle, you knew which players were in the team there…

That’s a very good question. It’s my choice because I’ve always thought about my game time. My aim wasn’t to go straight to Arsenal or Bayern, to a big club, and not play. That wasn’t my aim. I’ve always tried to work with I’ve got. A big club didn’t come to me and say: “Come on, you’re going to be the star and play every week.” As it happens, Newcastle gave me that chance, with some very good players, but I knew I wasn’t going to be playing with Messi, Mbappé, or Ronaldo. I know that a lot of the players at Newcastle would play very differently if you put them in a quality team. But it was a choice on my part, and it’s not a situation that I regret. It was a strategic decision in the sense that I know the ability that I have. No-one can take that away from me. I know that I’ve got a lot to learn, that there are lots of areas where I can improve, starting with the more defensive side of things. At Newcastle I’m asked to defend a huge amount, to work really hard. I’ve had a lot of work to do because I’ve got lots of defending to do. That’s enabled me to expand my game.

How do you view dribbling?

I look at players like Zidane. You have to understand that a dribble can be the same as a beautiful pass. There are lots of ways to take an opponent out of the game: a one-two, a run, a good piece of control. For me, the first touch is incredibly important. You can take your opponent out with your control.

Do you see yourself as a dribbler?

Less so than before, to be honest. But yes, because the aim of everything I do is to help my team and my fellow players. When I go to dribble, it’s to free up space, because I’m aware that they know me now, so I’m often marked by two, three, or four players. If there are four players on me, I’ve got the presence of mind to tell myself that I must have teammates who are unmarked and that they’ve seen that. Everything I do is to help my team. It doesn’t matter whether that’s a run or a dribble. The objective is the same.

Would you be capable of doing what Cristiano Ronaldo has done after going to Manchester United?

At the moment, I don’t know…

Why not?

It’s very simple. I know that if I devote myself to being the Allan who plays simply and without dribbling, then it won’t bring what I want to our team, with the way that we play on the counter-attack. So,at the moment, I have to say no. But if I’m in a team with a KylianMbappé,a Dembélé, a Pogba, or a Modric around me, then I won’t waste my time dribbling. I’ll think about my effectiveness. My game will become more simple.

What brought you to England? That resembles more your overallvision: less judgment and much more enthusiasm…

It’s exactly that. In France, you get judged much more. If you turn up in a big car or you’ve got a big car on your drive, then everyone will be, like, “Ah, but that’s not normal. What’s he done to get that? He’s must have taken a loan out.” Whereas in England, they’ll be happy for you. They’ll have a look, they’ll come over and take a photo, they’ll even be asking you questions: “What have you done to get here, give me some advice etc…” So, yes, the English mindset – not about everything, right, because I love France, obviously – but, on this, I’ve really found myself at home with the English way of thinking.

How would you assess your start to the season?

It’s not good enough. It’s not good enough because, I’ll repeat myself, I know very well that I have to do more with my ability. I know that if I manage to be makemore of a difference, with everything that’s happening at Newcastle, I know that when things are different, I’ll be able to do thateven more. Once again, it’s a mentality, a mindset. I have to retain that mindset.

The takeover of the club, how was that and how did you find out about it?

I knew it was going to happen. The question was when. I knew it would happen in 3 to 5 years and that no-one would know about it, certainly not the players. But before I signed – it’s the reason I was very interested in the idea of coming to Newcastle – I was told that a lot of investors were interested and wanted to buy the club. When the takeover was announced officially, everyone was talking about it. Obviously, that changes everything. We’re the richest club in the world. The buyers have massive plans for Newcastle. They want to do a huge number of things. We’ve already seen changes.

Which changes?

In the language around the club, the mentality, the food, the training ground, the pitches. Everything. That means they have the mentality where they want to invest. They will invest. It’s what the fans deserve.

How do you see the future at Newcastle? Are you afraid of losing your place?

Quite the opposite. I know that I’m part of the project and that the buyers intend to do things properly and not just with me. At that level, I don’t have any concerns about that. I am up for it. I love it. It can only be a good thing for me.

In what way can the takeover affect your potential?

People still haven’t seen me play in a team that’s at the top of the table, that’s competing for trophies, that’s playing to finish top of the Premier League and win the Champions League. When I say that, I’m not just saying it for me. You see it with the young players who leave to play for Barca. We know that they’re in a better situation than if they’d started by playing for a weaker team, in D2 or elsewhere. The more you have good players around you, the better you seem in everyone else’s eyes.

What could that change for you?

If I dribble and then pass to a Kylian Mbappé or an Ousmane Dembélé, I know the chances are it’ll end in a goal. And if you finish with a goal every week, then it’s not the same contribution anymore. I know they’ll talk about me more in the same way as them, even though not much will actually have changed in the end. Those players will just have finished the move off, simple as that.

Do you look at the French national squads? How’s that been since you’ve been in England.

It’s not easy because I’ve got lots of friends there. It’s the top,top level, so I know that being in that team would enable me to show what I can do. I think I could contribute a lot even if they’re already blessed with lots of talent.

Do you think you’re good enough to play for the French national team?

Without a doubt. I think I’m good enough. There are good players, but, like I say, there’s lots of them that have had the chance to be called up. And I think I’m good enough to be called up to the French national side.

What are you missing?

If I’ve not been picked, then it’s definitely because I’m missing something. I think I have to carry on working, because they’ve got quality. If we talk about Mbappé, Dembélé, Griezmann, or Benzema, then it’s a top team. It’s a long road still, but I know that I’m getting close. I’m going to try and see to it that the selection decisions are more and more difficult. That’s all I can do.

What can you bring to this team?

In very tight matches, I know I that my dribbling, my speed, and my vision can create a lot of space for players like Kylian and Benzema amongst others.

Do you still cherish this ultimate dream, to play with Mbappé and Benzema?

Always. That will never change.

And once you realise that dream?

I’ll look for another one.

Like what, for example?

To win a major title together or to develop in the same team. It’s up to me to carry on in my own little way and manage to show what I can do.

When can we hope to see you in the French team?

Honestly, that’s a question you’d have to ask those who pick the team. In any case, I’m going to do everything to give myself chance to be picked and I’ll continue to work hard, because there’s the World Cup. I know that I’ll be in a better and better position to become involved in the national side with what’s going to happen at Newcastle in the months and years to come. But that comes with hard work, and if I don’t get picked, then it means I’ve got to work harder. So, I’ll continue to work hard.

(Editor’s note: Fuck Hurst, Martin, and TF. It’s weeks old, anyway.)

Telling that there’s no bump here, because that sort of performance is taken for granted from ASM.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone in the flesh as exciting and explosive as this bloke. I include Hatem in this, who I loved.

Almost entirely responsible for the final equaliser and should’ve had the game winning assist. Also ran his bollocks off when out of possession.

If he stays fit and we augment in Jan, we’ll stay up.