Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

20 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

He could do with giving that shite a knock on the head mind. The lad (who has now deleted his account) only said that the photo of the players celebrating in the dressing room is a bit cringe. 

I don't believe for one second that he wrote that himself. 

Feel like with whatever Eddie has done with Joelinton, he could do with working with ASM. Must be challenging to tell a player with everything he needs to improve, but if ASM worked on his shooting and finishing he could be on hell of a player.

I also think his knowledge of when to release the ball needs a bit of work, but I think that's an issue across the whole side, there's a bit of a lacking from a few of term, they work the ball into opposing boxes, and then fail, with either spending too long,wrong ball, or panic and it goes from a dangerous opportunity backwards towards our own keeper again, and then the attack needs to be built up again!

Edited by mighty__mag

I thought he played well tbh. Seems to have reached that stage this type of player does where the chances created are just expected and unless there's a match winking moment each game he's called dissapointing. First thing I saw on twitter today was a suggestion to bench him. [emoji38]

I'm fairly surprised how some aren't pleased with ASM performances. Maybe higher expectations compared to his teammates? But the man is pure magic every time he touches the ball. It's only natural for a dribbler like him to take on his man every time even at his own half. Once Howe set up the team to attack more and defend high up the pitch, ASM will cause havoc to opposition defenses.

Doesn't get much credit for his hold up play, this lad.

Didn't necessarily show it much yesterday but I've noticed his ability to retain possession with his back to the goal is second to none considering he's not traditionally built to do that. 

Also think he's better suited and more affective as a winger rather than through the centre. He's obviosuly had success through the centre but I'd just love to see him in more 1 on 1 situations and just let him do his thing. His off the ball movement needs to improving (like pthers tbf) as well, could be so much more dangerous if he was willing to make runs through the lines. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Khalidao said:

I'm fairly surprised how some aren't pleased with ASM performances. Maybe higher expectations compared to his teammates? But the man is pure magic every time he touches the ball. It's only natural for a dribbler like him to take on his man every time even at his own half. Once Howe set up the team to attack more and defend high up the pitch, ASM will cause havoc to opposition defenses.

Same. Thought this was his best performance since Howe took over. Was involved all over the pitch and was a constant menace to Burnley. Along with Shelvey and Joelinton, he was showing the best control of the ball under pressure. Yes he's going to lose it a few times because he's attacking defenders, but he wins those tussles a surprising number of times, and that leads to goal scoring opportunities. 

On 05/12/2021 at 11:40, Lazarus said:

I think Howe hasnt quite worked out how to best use him yet - same with Willock.

I think it's a case of ASM learning how to use himself. When to give the simple pass and when he is needed to do something special. I think this will develop as the team improves and we begin to take shape. He's still quite young and has been the star turn for two seasons. Time to knuckle down and improve his understanding of the game. Not a criticism of him, I hope he'll grow into a more responsible player in the next couple of years, without losing any of the magic.

Appreciate that this will not be shared by many folks but this guy is actually a major part of the problem imho.

Yes he can win us games 'on his own' but, when he's not, which is 90% of the time he's actually a liability in terms of shape, defensive contribution and also chance creation.

Wilson said recently that he didn't have a clue what ASM was going to do when he had the ball. I think this also renders his attacking contribution less effective too because he's unpredictable.

Wilson would thrive on knowing he was playing with someone who would just recieve the ball, knock it past his man and whip a ball consistently to the same post.

If he played for a good team (Liverpool, City etc) he'd be a show pony off the bench when they needed a wildcard or when a game was already won.

I know he's Mr Popular and should imagine the typical response might be 'he's the least of our problems' but I actually think he's making us worse as a unit and therefore not the least of our issues.

He has been absolute shite since Bruce left and only then he was a MOTD top highlights type player. He needs to step it up massively. 

Edited by HTT II

19 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

Appreciate that this will not be shared by many folks but this guy is actually a major part of the problem imho.

Yes he can win us games 'on his own' but, when he's not, which is 90% of the time he's actually a liability in terms of shape, defensive contribution and also chance creation.

Wilson said recently that he didn't have a clue what ASM was going to do when he had the ball. I think this also renders his attacking contribution less effective too because he's unpredictable.

Wilson would thrive on knowing he was playing with someone who would just recieve the ball, knock it past his man and whip a ball consistently to the same post.

If he played for a good team (Liverpool, City etc) he'd be a show pony off the bench when they needed a wildcard or when a game was already won.

I know he's Mr Popular and should imagine the typical response might be 'he's the least of our problems' but I actually think he's making us worse as a unit and therefore not the least of our issues.

Agree with this :thup:

Really like the guy and he's a joy to watch but until the end of the season he needs to do the dirty work better. 

Just now, joeyt said:

Absolute nonsense

Really, he’s been shit most of the season mate, he’s a highlight reel player. He needs to do far more, several times today he tried to beat his man,  and when he couldn’t, he gave up after his man won the ball off of him and advanced. I rate him btw, but right now he’s been one of our worse performers and it’s now up to Howe to make sure that doesn’t continue, and if so, drop him, I don’t care. 

just pass the ball more.   He attracts 2 or 3 of the opposition all the time, because they're scared of what he can do.   That creates space so please use it.    Draw the players in and then a simple pass inside or outside and that's 2 or 3 players out of the attack.    He reminds me of a player in my youngest son's team.   Was fast and skilful but never passed, the rest of his teammates stopped trying to support him as they knew they weren't going to get the ball.   He left at the end of the season to go onto a better team apparently but my sons team are just happy that they could actually play as a team again.

2 hours ago, Menace said:

He's frustrating when things are going against us. He's still the most exciting player we have, but I don't think he'll stick around if we go down. In a team like Dortmund he would cause havoc. 

Yeah, no doubt that he's our most exciting player and he can be completely unplayable on his day. My point was more about his overall contribution over the course of a season I guess.

I know it's a ridiculous statement but when he's not unplayable, he's not worth playing.

Anyway, no doubt he'll grab a hatrick soon and make me look a prick [emoji38].