Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Thought he was quality today, he created all of our best chances. 

Again I feel like I watched a different game. Of course he has quality and is often the match winner, but today he spent half the game whining at the ref and overlooking his teammates (great ball to Willock at the end aside).

2 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Again I feel like I watched a different game. Of course he has quality and is often the match winner, but today he spent half the game whining at the ref and overlooking his teammates (great ball to Willock at the end aside).

I mean he creates all of our chances and is involved in everything positive we do. Sure he’s flawed which is precisely why he plays for us and not someone better. :lol:

I guess it's hard to rate him objectively. I agree he's our best attacking player, and would definitely start him every week. But today was one of his worst performances I thought, in terms of both attitude and outcome. 

Should have won a penalty, should have had an assist. Also created our best opening until we scored from nothing which Willock inexplicably didn't have a shot from. Didn't even lose the ball that much today either

On 18/01/2022 at 03:31, HaydnNUFC said:

Damning. It's not just his ability when he's 100% on it that helps us in games, but the opposition keep 1 or 2 men further back than usual to mark him and when he has the ball they double up or even triple up on him. That's also partly because they know the rest of our side is nigh on incapable of threatening them, but it helps us defensively too as sides are always wary of him in the case of a turnover. Probably being overly harsh but we took him off on 86 minutes on Saturday. Watford scored on 88 minutes down the side that he was playing on.

When he had a similar player with guile behind him like Willems, he had more freedom and that doubling/triple up on him wouldn't be as simple with a good fullback partnering him,I think of the good times when Jonas and Enrique had a brilliant understanding. 

But when we have the same kind of talent on the right, and creative and skillful types in the middle, teams will struggle to even double up on ASM, because they'll have to much to think about across the front, if we stay up and really strengthen in other positions, then ASM is going to thrive.

👍🏻

Easily the first or second name on the team sheet if you're managing this side. 

Edited by mighty__mag

10 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

I guess it's hard to rate him objectively. I agree he's our best attacking player, and would definitely start him every week. But today was one of his worst performances I thought, in terms of both attitude and outcome. 

Are you having a laugh?

I'm not a lifelong Newcastle supporter, I only started tuning in to their matches 3 months ago and my god is he the only player that keeps me excited to keep on watching.

The drive, skills and positivity he brings to this team full of championship-material players is just priceless. I honestly find it absolutely ludicrous a NUFC fan is complaining about his productivity or attitude.

Stonewall penalty that defies belief it wasn’t given either by the ref or VAR, he was a great and his pas to Willock was perfect. Felt that was our best clear cut chance in the whole match, good to see him making the right decisions 

25 minutes ago, Dr. TC said:

Yeah. For me today was a demonstration of what you get when ASM doesn't deliver. Not a criticism of the lad,, he takes on too much responsibility. But we won the game.

24 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I mean he creates all of our chances and is involved in everything positive we do. Sure he’s flawed which is precisely why he plays for us and not someone better. :lol:

Yes but that makes us a one man band, which has it's novelty value on the street corner, but would require James Brown levels of perfection to make it to the City Hall, never mind the Albert.

I love the guy but as a team we need to be more dynamic.

13 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It seemed like he was trying to pass and cross more, IMO anyway. 

Yeah the header down to ?Wood ( Maybe someone else) was a case in point of this. Definitely a change. 

Thought he was pretty ineffective other than carrying the ball for the first 70 mins, made up for it with the last 20 though. Obviously always worth keeping him on the field for the numbers he produces alone.