Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

57 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It seemed like he was trying to pass and cross more, IMO anyway. 

Yeah, I've been critical of him in previous games, but he was definitely trying to play his team mates in a bit quicker today, at least in the second half. What a player he could be if he could learn to do that more often.

Just a point though, that penalty which wasn't given, ASM should have scored before that, he was through on goal but couldn't help himself and tried to turn back inside instead of just getting the shot off when he had a clear sight. 

One thing you can say is that he never shrinks or shy's away. He's just always going for glory and sometimes that doesn't have to be taking on 5 players, cutting inside or shooting. A simple through ball or side ways pass every now and then would improve him no end.

1 minute ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Every commentator saying he went down too dramatically and that's why he didn't get it - I don't see it. The fall is real, and he's lifting his arms and screaming to say it's a foul, not to act like he's been shot.

There's too many of these decisions gone against us this season for it to be a coincidence.

Should have won a penalty. 

8 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Every commentator saying he went down too dramatically and that's why he didn't get it - I don't see it. The fall is real, and he's lifting his arms and screaming to say it's a foul, not to act like he's been shot.

I will totally understand this in non-VAR games, but the idiots have a chance to rewatch it. 

Clear penalty, outrageous decision, I think he’s now getting that kind of reputation and it is going against him. He was his usual frustrating self and at times it was a very one man show type of performance, but he was our main threat and did put a defensive shift in, he played for the team today. It’s up to Howe to get him to perform in the correct attacking way that also helps out the defence, but doesn’t make him a spent force in doing so. Do that and it’s half the battle. I was encouraged he sacrificed aspects of his natural game today for the team though.

Edited by HTT II

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

The guy caught him as he went past. Unless he was already diving (he wasn't) then legally there's no other decision you can give than a pen. Although I fully expect some cunt of a TV consultant ref to try to justify it in the next couple of days. 

Just now, TRon said:

The guy caught him as he went past. Unless he was already diving (he wasn't) then legally there's no other decision you can give than a pen. Although I fully expect some cunt of a TV consultant ref to try to justify it in the next couple of days. 

You can understand the ref in the ground seeing it as iffy........not the VAR ref though.

2 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I thought going down dramatically was essential for getting a penalty? See: Maddison, James.

I've heard a few fans moaning about him sitting on the ground waving his arms around in protest instead of getting on with the game. Thing is, I want players who will protest penalty decisions, it shows they have a winner's mentality. Maybe he should have got up and got on with the game, but it was a terrible decision, he was fully justified in kicking up a fuss. 

He did it like 4 or 5 times though, often just because he'd lost the ball. I don't mind a couple of times when it's shit decisions like the penalty, but it felt like he was doing it all the time yesterday, a couple of times while Leeds had the ball and were quickly going on the counter.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He did it like 4 or 5 times though, often just because he'd lost the ball. I don't mind a couple of times when it's shit decisions like the penalty, but it felt like he was doing it all the time yesterday, a couple of times while Leeds had the ball and were quickly going on the counter.

Aye and Howe was having a right go at him about it, telling him to get up and rightfully so!

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Fair enough, I do have issues in general with his lack of teamwork, he could probably learn a bit from Joelinton in that regard. 

On 22/01/2022 at 19:44, Inferior Acuña said:

I see it ... very clearly. No need to swan dive, it most likely convinced the referee it was more play acting than contact. VAR have been given clear guidance to only overturn a decision if there is a clear undebatable error been made. This one isn't clear it was highly unlikely to be overturned. he reality is, had ASM not gone down like he'd been shot, we'd probably have the penalty.

That said I think it's debatable it was a penalty in the first place - he appears to plant his foot then slip under his momentum before his theatrical display. If it had been at the other end of the pitch and Leeds had been awarded a penalty we'd have been livid, and rightly so.

5 minutes ago, chayton said:

I see it ... very clearly. No need to swan dive, it most likely convinced the referee it was more play acting than contact. VAR have been given clear guidance to only overturn a decision if there is a clear undebatable error been made. This one isn't clear it was highly unlikely to be overturned. he reality is, had ASM not gone down like he'd been shot, we'd probably have the penalty.

That said I think it's debatable it was a penalty in the first place - he appears to plant his foot then slip under his momentum before his theatrical display. If it had been at the other end of the pitch and Leeds had been awarded a penalty we'd have been livid, and rightly so.

I reckon if you get clipped in the box and you're falling (which was a real fall as he loses footing due to contact) you'd naturally throw your hands in the air and scream HOWAY REF!! as you're going down.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

7 minutes ago, chayton said:

I agree. I didn’t think it was a clear penalty.