Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

It was a clear penalty man. Theatrical dive or not his foot gets sweeped

Definitely not clear. Both defences can be reasonably argued which is the very reason it wasn't overturned. 

Needs to stop going down like a hooker on speed.

It’s a massive penalty like. Player gets turned and sweeps other player’s leg away with his foot. Of course he tries to draw attention to it, but it is a foul for sure. 

They should really scrap VAR if it isn’t going to give things like that. Obvious ones, the ref can see anyway. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I reckon if you get clipped in the box and you're falling (which was a real fall as he loses footing due to contact) you'd naturally throw your hands in the air and scream HOWAY REF!! as you're going down.

Which is the very reason it wasn't given. Referees are looking for that sort of carry on. ASM is his own worst enemy.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s a massive penalty like. Player gets turned and sweeps other player’s leg away with his foot. Of course he tries to draw attention to it, but it is a foul for sure. 

They should really scrap VAR if it isn’t going to give things like that. Obvious ones, the ref can see anyway. 

This

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

There is clear direction on VAR to only overturn decisions that are a clear refereeing error. This one is far from clear. There's a good couple of seconds between Koch's leg being out and ASM starting to fall. It's an odd one, his foot appears to be planted and then he slips under his own momentum. If there was contact, it's not difficult to understand how, in the heat of the moment, the referee missed it. And the theatrics will have influenced him that ASM was looking for it. Even in slo-mo, it's not a clear penalty. 

8 minutes ago, chayton said:

Definitely not clear. Both defences can be reasonably argued which is the very reason it wasn't overturned. 

Needs to stop going down like a hooker on speed.

Fuck me, can we not revive Toontastic and kick this one back over there?

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I get the direction, I just don’t think it makes sense. VAR should be there to decide if it was a penalty and if the referee was wrong. 

On the incident itself, guess agree to disagree. 

I think we all have our opinions on VAR - none of them are great. My personal view is that there shouldn't be an official sat in Stockley Park. There should be a video operator with a radio mic link to the referee but that it should be at the referee's discretion whether he decides to review.

I also think each team should have a limited number of VAR 'challenges' per match like they do in tennis. Would cut half the nonsense straight away.

9 minutes ago, TRon said:

This is how it works here: Our lad goes down in the box, it's a penalty no question. That's it really. :indi:

We need to find the fucking sniper behind the picket fence on the grassy knoll I reckon :hunter:

34 minutes ago, chayton said:

There is clear direction on VAR to only overturn decisions that are a clear refereeing error. This one is far from clear. There's a good couple of seconds between Koch's leg being out and ASM starting to fall. It's an odd one, his foot appears to be planted and then he slips under his own momentum. If there was contact, it's not difficult to understand how, in the heat of the moment, the referee missed it. And the theatrics will have influenced him that ASM was looking for it. Even in slo-mo, it's not a clear penalty. 

I guess Pawson didn't get that memo 

34 minutes ago, chayton said:

There's a good couple of seconds between Koch's leg being out and ASM starting to fall.

It's less than a second unless you're watching in slow motion.

38 minutes ago, chayton said:

It's an odd one, his foot appears to be planted and then he slips under his own momentum.

His foot lands in an unnatural position because his leg has been kicked forward

35 minutes ago, chayton said:

If there was contact, it's not difficult to understand how, in the heat of the moment, the referee missed it.

There was contact, and if the referee understandably missed it, that's a "clear and obvious error".

1 minute ago, smootsmack said:

It's less than a second unless you're watching in slow motion.

His foot lands in an unnatural position because his leg has been kicked forward

There was contact, and if the referee understandably missed it, that's a "clear and obvious error".

1. Semantics. It's unnaturally longer pause than it should be
2. Disagree. He appears to slip from his own momentum
3. 'Contact' is debatable. Which is why under the current application of VAR, the decision of the referee wasn't overturned.

Move on man, we won the game FFS :lol:

3 minutes ago, chayton said:

1. Semantics. It's unnaturally longer pause than it should be
2. Disagree. He appears to slip from his own momentum
3. 'Contact' is debatable. Which is why under the current application of VAR, the decision of the referee wasn't overturned.

Move on man, we won the game FFS :lol:

[emoji38] you've posted 12 times on this page... How is contact debatable?