Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

Maybe they should focus on looking for fouls, instead.

In the same manner players shouldn't ham it up. We absolutely stood a better chance of getting a penalty had he not done that. But as usual, factions of our support base will continue to defend him come what may. As I said, he's his own worst enemy.

21 minutes ago, chayton said:

In the same manner players shouldn't ham it up. We absolutely stood a better chance of getting a penalty had he not done that. But as usual, factions of our support base will continue to defend him come what may. As I said, he's his own worst enemy.

He could hoy on a wig and do a scene out of dirty dancing and it's still a fucking penalty. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Don't think I've heard a single opinion from anywhere around England that it was anything other than a penalty, and we've got someone in a black and white shirt arguing it. :lol: 

Haven't looked very far then :lol:

2 minutes ago, chayton said:

Shut you're face you, else I'm leaving and taking half the members with me ©2005 :coolsmiley:

Only if you take VAR along with you!

In a VAR-free world, it's fair to believe the referee sees in real time that ASM has gone down on his own trying to buy a penalty, or has just slipped over through his momentum and change of direction - thus not bothering to give anything. He didn't give ASM a card for simulation, so I think the ref has just thought he's slipped over whilst trying to shift his body weight back.

I can accept the refs decision on that basis, but what pisses me off is that once it goes to VAR, it's slowed down to a level where you cannot fail to see contact has been made - and still no penalty. VAR is used at slow speed to detect handball and give penalties, it's slowed down to frame by frame milliseconds to rule out goals for offside (to such a fine degree that a player could be ruled both on and offside throughout the time the ball is in contact with assisting players foot!).   In those cases, whatever evidence for positive ruling is found through VAR - however impossible to spot from a refs stand point - penalties are given. 

I hate VAR with a passion simply through the seemingly endless amounts of inconsistency and unfairness - even to the fact only PL teams playing at home can use it in the FA CUP. I can accept a referee making a decision. Won't always like or agree with it mind.

Edited by Clockwork Cheese

Didn't do himself any favours 10mins earlier running at the ref flapping and throwing his arms because that FK wasn't given for a shirt tug. 

Really pissed me off that came with his arm throwing - needs to just get on with it and chase after/close down the Leeds player that just has got the ball. After not getting his pen, he collapsed to the floor then trotted back to his defensive positioning - it took him a whole minute from the refs decision to be back in position.

22 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

Didn't do himself any favours 10mins earlier running at the ref flapping and throwing his arms because that FK wasn't given for a shirt tug. 

Really pissed me off that came with his arm throwing - needs to just get on with it and chase after/close down the Leeds player that just has got the ball. After not getting his pen, he collapsed to the floor then trotted back to his defensive positioning - it took him a whole minute from the refs decision to be back in position.

This

28 minutes ago, Clockwork Cheese said:

In a VAR-free world, it's fair to believe the referee sees in real time that ASM has gone down on his own trying to buy a penalty, or has just slipped over through his momentum and change of direction - thus not bothering to give anything. He didn't give ASM a card for simulation, so I think the ref has just thought he's slipped over whilst trying to shift his body weight back.

I can accept the refs decision on that basis, but what pisses me off is that once it goes to VAR, it's slowed down to a level where you cannot fail to see contact has been made - and still no penalty. VAR is used at slow speed to detect handball and give penalties, it's slowed down to frame by frame milliseconds to rule out goals for offside (to such a fine degree that a player could be ruled both on and offside throughout the time the ball is in contact with assisting players foot!).   In those cases, whatever evidence for positive ruling is found through VAR - however impossible to spot from a refs stand point - penalties are given. 

I hate VAR with a passion simply through the seemingly endless amounts of inconsistency and unfairness - even to the fact only PL teams playing at home can use it in the FA CUP. I can accept a referee making a decision. Won't always like or agree with it mind.

Sadly they've got to a point where they've decided VAR is not allowed to undermine a referee's decision - ergo he's got to have got it seriously wrong for them to even consider overturning it. And as you say in realtime you cannot microscopically disect it. This is where ASM is his own worst enemy. He's made the referee's mind up by trying over-egg it. As soon as that was done, it was never going to get overturned.

12 hours ago, chayton said:

Sadly they've got to a point where they've decided VAR is not allowed to undermine a referee's decision - ergo he's got to have got it seriously wrong for them to even consider overturning it. And as you say in realtime you cannot microscopically disect it. This is where ASM is his own worst enemy. He's made the referee's mind up by trying over-egg it. As soon as that was done, it was never going to get overturned.

Which just makes it pointless. If you have VAR, then might be a good idea to use it. All they had to do was advise the hopeless cunt of a ref to go and have a look at his screen, they didn't have to directly overrule it. He could have made his own mind up after viewing, same as they do in so many other games. 

If whoever is doing VAR looks at it and it’s a pen (it clearly was) then that should be that. All this it wasn’t a clear refereeing error in real time us bollocks. If you allow people to start making nuanced decisions in judgement calls like that you’re creating the inconsistencies the system is meant to remove 

Watching our matches you get the sense that they're leaving it to each other. The ref's not giving anything thinking that the VAR will clear up any error, and the VAR's using any nebulous reason to back the decision. 

That's how it seems, then you watch a top 6 match...

Yeah, I don’t even think it needs to involve the referee on the pitch TBH. Have a look at the replay, if he’s missed a foul or a dive, make the decision from the pictures. 

It’s a bit silly to persevere with this idea that you need to protect the status of the ref. He’s a human, he’s going to miss things, that’s why replays are good. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo