Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I feel that we should get rid, but not now. I don’t think he’s the right person for Howe longer term but I can’t see what point there would be to ditching him for an inferior player at this point. 

For Barcelona, a team based on possession football when Xavi, Iniesta et al were playing with him, Messi lost the ball more than any other player in La Liga every season by a country mile. 

You can't lump them into the same pool to compare against Allan either, they're completely different players. You're like a broken record mate. Just repeating yourself over and over again calling out the greatest players in the world and saying that he isn't as good as them. Well, no shit Sherlock. It's the disingenuous notions that need to be called out that he should somehow be doing more than he is in this team for the limited player that we all know he is, yet is also by far our most potent attacking threat. 

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

Selling ASM would be a massive own goal for the owners imo. Our only selling-points currently (to next-level players) is that we’re an ambitious outfit and financial heavyweights; having a self-imposed salary cap and then having to sell an important player to raise funds would lead to questions as to how serious we are.

Yeah and whether we like it or not, I reckon other potential players would be quite excited playing with him. He’s a bit of a name.

Guest HTT II

As critical as I am of him at times, we cannot sell one of our best players. I’d love to see how he can transition with us with much better players around him and a full pre-season with Howe. He does need to work harder on his own game, however. If he can do that and find the right balance between the good things he does, well, we will have one of the best wide players in the world in our side. 

51 minutes ago, KDT said:

The hate for Saint-Maximin is mental, let's have Murphy start 30 league games and see where we end up.

If he ever starts that many games then I fear for the goal posts 

The only way we sell him is if we have his replacement lined up, someone like Diaby and even then we wouldn't necessarily be strengthening ourselves.

I just can't see who would sign him? City and Liverpool? No. Man Utd? They have Sancho. Spurs play with wingbacks and Arsenal doesn't seem right. Therefore, you are looking at a big club abroad IMO and finding one of them with cash on the hip is unlikely.

To many barriers for him to leave.

If the stories are true it would seem like he's more interested in how much money he can get rather than playing for the shirt. If he was as good as he thinks he is that would be another matter 

1 hour ago, James said:

Completely not bothered if he stays or goes.

he wouldn’t survive this season as our first choice

James, just wondering, did you consciously decide to turn yourself into a parody account?

1 hour ago, KDT said:

The hate for Saint-Maximin is mental, let's have Murphy start 30 league games and see where we end up.

With the caveat that I haven't seen him in a quality team.

If you've got 10 world class players in the team, the difference between Murphy and ASM, based on what I've seen, would be minimal.

That said, I trust Maxi to be better with quality around him. He said it so it must be true. He's got until January to prove it.

The most likely scenario I envisage is that he struggles in the first games and goes in a huff with himself and the entire world.

But I do hope this is not the case.

1 hour ago, HawK said:

For Barcelona, a team based on possession football when Xavi, Iniesta et al were playing with him, Messi lost the ball more than any other player in La Liga every season by a country mile. 

You can't lump them into the same pool to compare against Allan either, they're completely different players. You're like a broken record mate. Just repeating yourself over and over again calling out the greatest players in the world and saying that he isn't as good as them. Well, no shit Sherlock. It's the disingenuous notions that need to be called out that he should somehow be doing more than he is in this team for the limited player that we all know he is, yet is also by far our most potent attacking threat. 

TBF he has said he wants to win the Ballon D'or, so he is placing himself in that bracket.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

If we're looking to progress, the fastest way to do that is to sell our best players.

Like when we sold Kelly and Peacock after promotion? 
Edit: or Andy Cole for that matter? 

Edited by Mahoneys Tache

This guy needs to play out this season before pushing for a new contract IMO. If he's not willing to do so then we should honestly just let him go if the likes of Chelsea and Spurs are genuinely after him and are offering him a big wage.

Don't think we can really match the kind of wages those clubs would be offering him, because he hasn't justified that. If both those clubs just want to throw that kind of money at him anyway, then let them do so.

Danjuma wants to return to England and apparently has a £38 million release clause, and he would be a viable option to slot right in, with a manager that is already very familiar with him.

Once we've got 4 better wingers than ASM, we can consider selling him. To sell him before would weaken us.

Right now he's the best winger we've got. Selling him would be monumentally stupid.

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

Once we've got 4 better wingers than ASM, we can consider selling him. To sell him before would weaken us.

Right now he's the best winger we've got. Selling him would be monumentally stupid.

I mean ... we'd obviously replace him. This is no longer a Mike Ashley operation.

2 minutes ago, Big River said:

genuinely, for the money we’d want, who on earth would buy him?

No one, theres a reason hes still here. Ashley would have cashed in if there was any serious interest.

Edited by Nine

Funny thing about this supposed Chelsea and Spurs interest is that I couldn't imagine two worse managers for this guy to go to than Tuchel and Conte.

Both very demanding and no nonsense managers. Guy is asking for trouble if he goes to either and doesn't improve his application considerably.

What do you think ASM would fetch in todays market?

We paid £16m - I'd guess double that?

Don't want him to go just interested to see what people value him at.