Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He needs to be targeting 10 goals and at least 10 assists next season (be it league or all competitions) if he does stay, he’s capable of the former, I’m not sure of the latter…

Other way round surley.

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He needs to be targeting 10 goals and at least 10 assists next season (be it league or all competitions) if he does stay, he’s capable of the former, I’m not sure of the latter…

I think that's fair, and he should be capable of that tbh.

He managed 5 goals and 5 assists this year having missed a number of games, and also having played without Callum a lot too when he did play.

He needs to use the desire for a new contract as motivation to have a great season, and all the chips will fall into place from there. Just don't think it's justified for him at the minute.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think that's fair, and he should be capable of that tbh.

He managed 5 goals and 5 assists this year having missed a number of games, and also having played without Callum a lot too when he did play.

He needs to use the desire for a new contract as motivation to have a great season, and all the chips will fall into place from there. Just don't think it's justified for him at the minute.

Agreed, having a quality right winger and another top CF and maybe a CM playmaker or even DM may help him produce better numbers, for all his faults every game he is often doubled up on or even sometimes by 3 players.

I like maximin but hes career path is totally down to him, If he stays with us and learns how and when to pass he'll become a legend for life,If he moves it'll take him even longer to adopt and less football he reminds me of a young Ronaldo (Not comparing) but the tricks he got taught outer  him to improve him

Edited by astraguy

I think he is going to have a good year if he can avoid injury. He's at a good age, has been in the league for awhile now and feels a little like a point to prove.

Plenty of excuses previous seasons, but going into this year every player including him, should be looking to attack it with positivity and not the flat out misery of previous years.

He needs to be given a chance wide right and told to get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.If he refuses then we must get rid.Step overs and using the nearest team mate in a better position as a decoy isn’t what you see when watching decent teams play.By the end of last season we were half decent.Decent teams finish 6th,7th or even 8th,where I’m expecting us to finish next season.That’s with the squad we currently have which I’ve included Botman in.

If we could get Arjen Robben out of retirement we would have Botman and Robben in the team.

Mal Donaghy and Phil Babb in defence.

2 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He needs to be given a chance wide right and told to get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.If he refuses then we must get rid.Step overs and using the nearest team mate in a better position as a decoy isn’t what you see when watching decent teams play.By the end of last season we were half decent.Decent teams finish 6th,7th or even 8th,where I’m expecting us to finish next season.That’s with the squad we currently have which I’ve included Botman in.

If we could get Arjen Robben out of retirement we would have Botman and Robben in the team.

Mal Donaghy and Phil Babb in defence.

So Howe should tell him to never use his greatest strength and just cross the ball at first opportunity? Fucking hell. :lol:

On 27/06/2022 at 15:30, Happinesstan said:

I'm all fr playing him on the right but you want him getting to the by=line.

If he’s told to get crosses in from the byline,our attacking players could be waiting quite a while,like they do now,for the ball to arrive in the box.Defenders would double up on him and he’d still ‘follow orders’ and lose the ball cheaply.

31 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

If he’s told to get crosses in from the byline,our attacking players could be waiting quite a while,like they do now,for the ball to arrive in the box.Defenders would double up on him and he’d still ‘follow orders’ and lose the ball cheaply.

Defenders already do double up on him, as they have for the past 2 seasons, as we have no other attacking players worth their time apart from Wilson. He receives the ball too high up the pitch to have anyone worth passing to. On the occasions where we've actually attacked as a unit, i.e. in the last few weeks of Howe's era., he's passed it loads or crossed it. Especially to Bruno.

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at this guy is just lazy and not based on the reality of what he's had to do for this team on the pitch, i.e. carry all of them, for years. With no-one else to pass to because no-one would support the attack he and Wilson would be on. When Wilson's not playing it really has been him alone vs teams' entire back 5 almost every game whilst our midfielders stand and watch. I've grimaced when he's been carrying the ball and he's tried to lay it off to Almiron, who messes up bringing such a basic pass under control as he runs into defenders rather than draw them away. I've been watching Wood just stand next to central defenders for entire games for 4 months when we've had the ball, marking himself out of the game as he goes into hiding. We got a glimpse of what Maxi can do when he was up top vs Norwich as a deep-lying striker, with attacker and midfielders pushing on around him. 

All he needs is another competent attacking player on the right to balance out the side, and for the team to continue attacking as a unit. Either way this season should start with a blank slate for everyone, no-one can trade on past glories, but I have high expectations of Maxi.

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody gone silent on this one?

Don't think he had the best of games yesterday, but probably our biggest threat in the first half. The fact we didn't produce much at all seems to be consistent in that scenario. Hoping he gets a chance in our best 11 for the next game. Although I'm starting to think I'm not sure he's part of our best XI. Definitely one of our best eleven players, but I still think the evidence points to the fact that we are much more effective, as a unit, without him.

First proper game of pre-season though so there is still time to prove his importance.

Thinking about it, Howe only has the next game to put out his strongest XI, since I imagine he'll split the quality over the double header.

Thought he did ok yesterday. this season, I hope he receives the ball more often in better areas so he doesn’t have so much to do in order to get in a shot. Also seems like we rarely have open options for him to lay off an easy pass for someone else to shoot (thinking lay backs to edge of box). Some of this is to do with established patterns of attack/system and some to do with having players intelligently finding critical (goal threatening) space. 

From the few small clips i've seen of him he looks to be releasing the ball more so far, loving some of his reverse passing. If that becomes a consistent trend he could really move to the next level, him dragging his full back out of position and then playing a reverse ball into the runner that's filled the gap would cause teams all kind of trouble. 

4 hours ago, M1tche said:

From the few small clips i've seen of him he looks to be releasing the ball more so far, loving some of his reverse passing. If that becomes a consistent trend he could really move to the next level, him dragging his full back out of position and then playing a reverse ball into the runner that's filled the gap would cause teams all kind of trouble. 

It was noticeable in the latter part of last season too. His execution was just not very good at times. He’s clearly getting decent coaching and being told what he needs to do to improve, hope he builds on it.

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think I he’ll leave before the end of the window.

In the clips/pictures he rarely seems to be fully part of the group, smiling and always seems to arrive by himself. That could just be him though or crappy timing with the camera lol.

Possibly not a coincidence many of the wingers linked are lefties. I hope he stays though. He can go as far as he wants to with us. 

I think this is a fairly critical season ahead for ASM's career. He needs to show that he can adapt and contribute to an organised team with a structured game-plan.

I really want it to work for him because at his best, he's such an exciting player to watch, but if it doesn't work out then I suspect his career ceiling may be comparable to Zaha at Palace.

My gut feel is that he might not have the right mentality to go to the top, but I sincerely hope I'm wrong.