Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Willock always seems to get sacrificed when ASM is subbed on. I kind of understand it. As Big Joe needs to stay on as he’s class and is also ASM’s sweeper. Last night, Longstaff was being used constantly to help Trippier with Zaha. So I get it. 

But I’d like to see them both stay on together. Two dynamic players who can carry the ball 30-40 yards with ease and have pace to burn. Willock could move over to the RCM role. Longstaff gets joy popping up in that half space between the CB and full back. I’m sure Willock would, too. 

I liked ASM yesterday, he played passes at the right time and whenever he was in our half he didnt take too many risks.

Yesterday was a game where he should have started, Longstaff off and big joe dropping into inside left midfield.

I like Big Jow on the left but think that maxi with his edge can make a difference in this type of game

I don’t like Joelinton wide left. Willock plays more advanced and often ends up wider than him when Joelonton starts the game there. They always seem to rotate, anyway. 

Big Joe in CM with ASM wide left against Southampton would be good. But I think Howe has his tried and tested  XI who he trusts. It’s solid, we don’t concede and tend to dominate. It hasn’t really let him down so far. 

Just feels like we could do with another attacking option like ASM and/or Isak from the start. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I don’t like Joelinton wide left. Willock plays more advanced and often ends up wider than him when Joelonton starts the game there. They always seem to rotate, anyway. 

Big Joe in CM with ASM wide left against Southampton would be good. But I think Howe has his tried and tested  XI who he trusts. It’s solid, we don’t concede and tend to dominate. It hasn’t really let him down so far. 

Just feels like we could do with another attacking option like ASM and/or Isak from the start. 

He doesn't play wide left when paired with Willock. They switch, they are the central/ left/midfield/attacking duo. Great in theory but neither carries much goal threat or creativity against a low block.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

He doesn't play wide left when paired with Willock. They switch, they are the central/ left/midfield/attacking duo. Great in theory but neither carries much goal threat or creativity against a low block.

Eh? Is that not what I have just pretty much said? 

Joelinton always seems to start 5-10 in the 3. Then ends up dove tailing with Willock. Who is often wider and/or more advanced than Big Joe.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

We have to find a way to exploit the space when teams double up on ASM. Whether that means Trippier moves more to a DM position to allow Bruno to push to the 10 or whatever. It’s a prime advantage of having someone who can win one to one’s. If he hasn’t isolated the defender there has to be space elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, McCormick said:

For a two-legged affair, I think it’s safer to just put on the first xi that doesn’t concede much. So long as we keep a clean sheet, it should set us up nicely to see it through for the home tie.

Yeah, that’s true, TBF. I just think the team could do with a bit of freshening up, we need to start scoring and the only genuine options we have to come into the team are attack minded players. 

If they’re all fit, then an unchanged XI is fine with me. Although I’m not sure Wilson will start two games so close together. Especially when he looks short of his best. 

ASM didn't do much wrong yesterday, but I also think that's part of the problem, because he wasn't in many positions to make mistakes and/or by the same token change the game.

He was clearly doing what he's supposed to do, and passing, being part of the team etc.

But in doing that he was nowhere near the dynamic game changing dribbler that he has been. For all that having a defined and definite way of playing has improved the majority in the squad, I think it's taken away from a natural risk-taker and maverick like him.

The ball moves faster than anyone. So if ASM gains a reputation as an astute and incisive passer of the ball he will be magnificent. He’d have the space to do it too as defenders don’t like to dive in when squared up by someone who can dribble. It would give him half a yard extra to get his head up. 

3 minutes ago, Lotus said:

The ball moves faster than anyone. So if ASM gains a reputation as an astute and incisive passer of the ball he will be magnificent. He’d have the space to do it too as defenders don’t like to dive in when squared up by someone who can dribble. It would give him half a yard extra to get his head up. 

He would be almost unplayable. Most good players tend to only be exceptional at dribbling or passing though. Tough ask hoping for a Ben Arfa-Nobby Solano (or Bruno Guimaraes) hybrid. Latter two are, I think, players I have most enjoyed watching pick out, and execute, awesome long and short passes.