Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I actually thought his defensive work as good as we’ve seen from him. I wouldn’t be having a go against him but I just think fundamentally he’s not good at anticipating how other players move and I struggle to understand why he just waits for balls to come to him when an opposition player who’s behind him uses their strength and pace to get in front of him when he should be controlling the game most times 

6 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

I might see something with blinkers on but he is an absolute pussy where tackles are concerned.

Gordon coming on was chalk/cheese comparison.

Instantly impacted the game in the position maxi pissed around in for all but 5 mins of his total pitch time.

Put the most tackles in for us today.

Every bit of his attacking play can be criticised today but defensively, it's the best he's been.

Edited by Aiston

I am a huge Maxi advocate but he didn't cover himself in glory tonight. Well off the boil and just not synced up with the rest of the team. 

I really wanted him to show why he should start games, but he was playing far too high to link up with Burn, and not nearly as direct as he can be (which is what we sorely needed). He did put the effort in to track back occasionally and make a challenge, but that part of his game, though a good effort for him, was made to look bad by everyone else's defensive work rate. 

I still really hope things click for him, but it didn't today.

Can’t fault his workrate today tracking back. But he is reluctant to run in behind off the ball and I actually think at times. He is looking for a pass, when I think he has a chance to get at his man. 

It doesn’t help that it was usually Willock or Burn looking to play the ball to him. As they are not great at passing. 

Love the bloke. But just feels like he’ll be off in the summer. 

He just seems to play totally different game than rest of the squad. Doesn't make runs behind, isn't waiting to play combinations etc. Waits for pass to feet and starts dribbling. He has the ability to be great, but doesn't seem to have the footballing brain. Breaks my heart to say that because love the guy. I guess he will be sold next summer. 

His biggest problem as we get better is that you don’t quite know what he’s going to do next and it doesn’t fit into our patterns of play. He’s prone to losing the ball and when he does it often leaves us out of shape.

Gordon looked a far better fit. I really feel that Maxi’s place will be from the bench and, realistically a move.

Love the bloke but honestly don't know what to think of him atm. When Bruno and Isak are both out he's the only one in the whole side with some potentially game winning quality, too much pressure on him as a result of that perhaps? No clue.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

3 hours ago, cannybagoftudor said:

Needs an attacking overlapping fullback playing with him tbh - if we play him Targett should be behind him. If we play Burn then it should be Gordon IMHO.

This. Him and Burn not a good match at all. Targett would suite him much better.

Guest reefatoon
5 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

He was constantly doubled up and burn offers nothing attacking wise. He wasn’t great but it was a tough game for him 

Not having Burn getting the blame for his poor performance like. Really annoying when people will not just admit he had a shite day at the office. Personally I just don’t think he fits in our system at all. He stands out like a sore thumb for not working like everyone else. 

I’m also confused when people say we need an attacking left back. Burn charges past whoever plays on the left frequently and does offer an attacking option.

Granted he’s not Roberto Carlos, but he’s never given a pass when he makes the overlapping run to see what he can do - he’d probably waste the possession mind, but he’s just basically ignored 

Edited by andyc35i

7 hours ago, Sempiternal said:

Flair players always get turned on first. The midfield has clearly been the major problem 

Aye. Before today Wilson literally did nowt for about 5 games. I don’t think Maxi has a place in the starting XI going forward but the criticism of him is far too quick, he basically has no room for error in comparison to anyone else in the squad.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

Maybe as folk say, his time is coming to an end with us. If it is, I'd first like to see him play for thirty minutes on the same side as Trippier and Bruno. Just to see what happens and to mix things up on what teams will know about us. On the left, Maxi gets doubled up on with little attacking help from behind.

We've had good moves down the left this year, but they are invariably counter attacks with Willock or Joelinton carrying the ball from deep in one-on-one type situations. I can't recall many times we've overloaded on the left and passed a way through.

Had Bruno been playing, perhaps first sub yesterday should have been Miggy. Switch ASM right and play Gordon left. Since Rice was dominating the middle, the logic instead became take the guy who can't press off.

7 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Aye. Before today Wilson literally did nowt for about 5 games. I don’t think Maxi has a place in the starting XI going forward but the criticism of him is far too quick, he basically has no room for error in comparison to anyone else in the squad.

I didn’t even think he was that bad, he played better than Miggy imo, he was great when he came on against Southampton as well. Personally think you need a player who can create something out of nothing which he can, and outside of Bruno and him we don’t have that 

8 hours ago, astraguy said:

But it was probably just recovering after he gave the ball away.  He didn't have a great game however people want to spin it.  He doesn't track back which in Eddie's system leaves us exposed to counter.