Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

14 hours ago, cannybagoftudor said:

Needs an attacking overlapping fullback playing with him tbh - if we play him Targett should be behind him. If we play Burn then it should be Gordon IMHO.

Don’t get the fixation with overlapping fullbacks, given how effective we have been with this system. Do we want to have two left sided players behind the ball when the opposition breaks? 

Just now, Andy84 said:

ASM will start next game, it’s his place currently and Eddie won’t overreact to yesterday.  

I think you’re probably right. Only caveat is if he has a preference and ‘digestible’ rationale for changing it for an away game. Plus how things look in training; if Gordon is pulling up trees, given how he played during his cameo, doubt he’ll be left out. 

Feel for the guy. His story arc is a bit tragic tbh. Gone from being our most important and popular player to our biggest liability and it's not necessarily his fault either. 

Can't fault his application at all but it's clear that he's got weaknesses in his game that are bring exposed by Howe's footballing philosophy and so far they're outweighing his strengths.

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

3 tackles seems crazy low. 

Does say successful. Attempted tackles with no success would be higher.

The thing here to remember, people were getting on his back for not getting back, so, he looked like he altered his game slightly, and now (Shocker) those same people will be cursing him for not doing enough going forward? 

West Ham were really good yesterday, theres absolutely no single player on our side to go around and simply try to stick the blame on, I could argue Trippier was weak and let Paqueta get free for their goal, (Similar to what he did versus Spurs with Harry Kane) that's two goals he's been weak on?

But it was actually the front post flick and Almiron being walked out of position as pointed out on Sky, leaving a massive space front post.

Nobody was solely responsible for yesterday's result, least of all ASM.

West Ham were actually very organised after the two (one disallowed) quick goals, it sort of woke them up from potentially conceding a battering.

I dread to think how some of our fans will react to us losing a game, or should we not getting top four this season ( probably all be Eddie's fault), we're 12 months into the new ownership, and it feels a lot like some think we deserve to win every game, or they look for blame, at the beginning of the season and in the topic on the forum, a high proportion of our fans and plenty on here thought 7th would be a fair and reasonable achievement off the back of 12 months ago fighting relegation. 

So I reckon we need to stick a lid on playing the blame game when we don't win every game.

We are doing fine, and the players are doing everything and more to keep us over achieving. 

Btw @Shearergol this wasn't aimed at your post, I simply quoted the stat, then went into rant mode👍🏻

Now teams are going to set up defensively against us, you need someone who can break the lines and attract players.  Those players are invaluable.

Grealish does it for city, sure his numbers aren’t great but he can take the ball and go past players and by virtue of that he opens up space. ASM has a role to play in this team 

Think it shows tremendous growth and willingness that he's tracking back.

Tbh I think this board judges him way too harshly. Gordon did some lovely things when he came on but he also lost the ball a couple of times. Especially at the end when it was our final chance... He tried to let the ball run and then a west ham defender kicked it into the sky. Whistle blew. 

Think we put our brown tinted glasses when we watch ASM and all we see is shit. He put in some lovely crosses and got into dangerous areas all whilst passing the ball (which we screamed for him to do) and tracked back and made 3 successful tackles! 

It's like we want him to fail. Maxi is fine in this team, we should have won that game with the amount of chances we created but it's just same sticky patch we are in at the moment. 

I think he wants to make it here and the fact that he's trying so hard, we should be applauding him. Him and Longstaff always get the brown glasses. Bruno can do no wrong even if he has a bad game. 

Maxi has literally saved us himself from relegation. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for him; no takeover, no Eddie, just Cashley and his cronies. We NEED to keep him. He, more than anyone in that team, is our "messiah". 

Most of our attacks came down the right with tripper willock and miggy, asm only had joelinton really who is everywhere. He deserves credit and time like miggy and Joe had.

I've read a quote from him saying him and isak train together alot i can't wait to see that 

I felt a bit sorry for him yesterday, there was absolutely fuck all space in behind so he was never going to be at his best.

Thought he had a mixed game but by no means one of his shitters that he throws in every so often. A few really nice crosses and passes, plenty effort and then some frustrating moments also.

I think he was focusing on proving he can do the defensive work, which he can but isn't particularly great at and didn't produce any moments of genius in attack. He definitely gets a load of stick a way other players don't. 

I suspect he will be starting behind Gordon and I am fine with that, unfortunately I just don't see ASM reacting well, he'll be gone in summer imo but we need more than 1 good winger per side.

He clearly doesn’t fit into Howe’s style of play and there’s nothing wrong with that, he’s a great player when he’s told to ‘do what you want’.

Not sure what all of the fuss is about, we’ll have far better than him in the next year.

Good luck to him but we’ve outgrown him now.

Edited by Thomson Mouse

Just now, Kanji said:

Missed opportunity for him. But also wondering if you replace miggy with Gordon does that allow for more balance with maxi as miggy is in a bit of a funk too 

Both of them will not be first team starters by then end of next season if not before

Guest reefatoon
18 hours ago, Thomson Mouse said:

He clearly doesn’t fit into Howe’s style of play and there’s nothing wrong with that, he’s a great player when he’s told to ‘do what you want’.

Not sure what all of the fuss is about, we’ll have far better than him in the next year.

Good luck to him but we’ve outgrown him now.

Yeah agree with this. We are a million miles away from that utterly shit disorganised team, where he was the only shining light due to him having a trick or two or wanting to run at people.

We are a completely different beast now, with a real functioning team with a plan and a purpose, where unfortunately for him, he just doesn’t fit into that style.

Think he will leave in the summer and good luck to him. Think he will shine again for some middle of the road team where he can stand out again in a sea of mediocrity.

5 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Yeah agree with this. We are a million miles away from that utterly shit disorganised team, where he was the only shining light due to him having a trick or two or wanting to run at people.

We are a completely different beast now, with a real functioning team with a plan and a purpose, where unfortunately for him, he just doesn’t fit into that style.

Think he will leave in the summer and good luck to him. Think he will shine again for some middle of the road team where he can stand out again in a sea of mediocrity.

Love him to bits, but this was always going to happen with Howe's style of play. He's still our most exciting player, but one player doesn't make a team, especially one who lacks consistency and is stop/start with injuries. 

Tough decisions to be made in the summer.