Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

28 minutes ago, gdm said:

Would like to see him on the right and Gordon on the left or vice versa and give Almiron a much needed rest

Yes I also don’t think Miggy is very effective against that low block defensive set up. His complete lack of a right foot means teams have sussed him out so in and around the box he isn’t that effective. ASM, Gordon and Isak will be very important to breaking teams down from now on.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Half the problem I think is that because he’s so unpredictable the rest of our team don’t know what to do when he has the ball so he doesn’t have as many options. I think if he played regularly with Targett behind him it would be better as they had a decent relationship last season. 

Also he’s trying so hard to pass more than he seems scared to take anyone on, it’s like he has gone too much the other way. Not a criticism of him, I am sure he will find the balance with time.

3 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

Criticism a bit OTT IMO. First start in ages. I think the Bournemouth game will suit him more.

He was dreadful but I agree needs more minutes to because his explosive sharp best 

31 minutes ago, NWMag said:

Half the problem I think is that because he’s so unpredictable the rest of our team don’t know what to do when he has the ball so he doesn’t have as many options. I think if he played regularly with Targett behind him it would be better as they had a decent relationship last season. 

Also he’s trying so hard to pass more than he seems scared to take anyone on, it’s like he has gone too much the other way. Not a criticism of him, I am sure he will find the balance with time.

Yep this is what I’ve seen too. He just doesn’t do what he used to do at all in terms of taking players on and going on mazy runs. Not anywhere near as much anyway. 

And when he does try to pass he doesn’t seem very good at it. 

I used to love Maxi but feel that he has dropped off a bit and is maybe carrying a bit of extra timber.

I dunno, maybe he needs to grow his hair back the way it was or something/. 

Yeah, when you see him making an effort to pass more, you realise why he normally doesn’t bother, he’s not great at it. I also think he stands out in our team as we tend to lose possession around the opponents box, he loses it much deeper. I think that’s part of why people get on his case.

When Milan's interest was put to him, Saint-Maximin said: "I will be honest, I'm not going to lie, when you are in that situation a lot of teams can see it (like Milan). A lot of teams see it as an opportunity to come and buy the player.

"But I am very proud to be here and the most important thing for me is to play. And I will always try to be in a position where I play every game.

"I don't play football to be on the bench. But you know sometimes you have to understand the situation.

"As I said, when I was in the team they didn't lose games and I did my job. When I was available the team were doing well and not losing games.

"You need to understand that. For sure, if we lose two games and I stay on the bench I will never accept that situation.

"When the team does well though and when you love the players you can't be a nice guy when you play, then not very nice when you don't.

"I am not like that. I believe a lot in God and that's why when I didn't play I prayed for the team because finally we were together.

"And if we get to the Champions League - we are going there together. So that's the most important thing."

Saint-Maximin stated last month that he is no longer automatic choice in the Newcastle team but the same could be said for £63million man Alexander Isak in recent weeks. Since then Howe made it clear he had no intention of selling Saint-Maximin and he had a big part to play.

Saint-Maximin said: "It's simple, we have very good players. Alexander Isak wasn't even there on Saturday nor Bruno, but we still had a good team, with them of course the game could have been different.

"The same happens for me. The season started well for me against City and Wolverhampton, I made a difference then got an injury.

"After that, the team had to do it without me and they done that very well. When the team wins every single game you then just have to wait for your chance and try to do everything to win.

"It was a good comeback for me vs West Ham because I think I created some chances and I tried to help the defence and helped Dan Burn a lot. We did not concede any goals in terms of set-pieces and that is the most important, to do what the coach wants and give what he wants from me.

"I know I did well with that."

Saint-Maximin's season so far has been one of frustration with injuries and then non-selection restricting him to a handful of starts.

The French star reflected: "I didn't lose any games when I played. The coach knows that and that's why I have a very good relationship with him because he knows what I am capable to do.

"Most of the time when I am on the pitch I try to do everything not to lose the game. So after that, when I came back from injuries the team were winning and had credit to keep going.

"If I was a starting player and we win every game I wouldn't want to be left out just because an important player was coming back. I would maybe feel the manager let me down so it makes sense.

"Look at Isak, he is trying to push with assists and goals and this can push a player into the starting XI.

"We didn't lose against West Ham and that is the most important thing to me. I will now do my best to help the team next game and get the win against Bournemouth."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/allan-saint-maximin-responds-ac-26163890

Some good quotes here.

Formatted out all the shit for y'all.

3 hours ago, Smal said:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/allan-saint-maximin-responds-ac-26163890

Some good quotes here.

Formatted out all the shit for y'all.

Thanks for that, appreciated. 

Looks exactly like he's doing what is asked of him. Lots of maturity going on in this man's head! And a team player. Don't think he's going anywhere anytime soon and I think he will pick it up for sure after a few starts. Excited to see him and Isak together. I think they possibly might have similar footballing brains!

I know his starting line up return felt like a balloon deflating. However I keep having this sneaky feeling like he's the sort of player that would have the game of his life if picked in the final.(or something like that man city performance) Plus with Trippier likely needing to sit deep due to Rashford it feels like we're going to need to attack down our left side. 

On 06/02/2023 at 15:22, loki679 said:

I think I'd rather see Gordon come in on the right for Miggy and give ASM a run of games to get into his stride.

Interesting view. I see where you are coming from but for me ASM is too wasteful with the ball. Miggy has discovered a scoring touch and creates a pace of movement because he passes the ball! Others have commented on him being one footed and predictable but his run of form would be invaluable if he got his mojo back. I really hope ASM rediscovers his form but for me he just doesn’t suit the standard of team we now are. Reminds me of Adama Traore. Looks great in full flow but where is the output?

Think this is the right approach with ASM, he needs to grasp his opportunity and he’s only got a small window to do it. It’s harsh in a way as he’s trying to play differently and there are signs of him shifting his game but if he can’t take his opportunities before the end of the season I’d be amazed if he’s with us going into September ‘23

Fwiw, I don't think he has a long term future. He could have a belting end to the season and I'd still wager that he will be sold in the summer but if he can contribute a few goals and assists before then... :thup:

1 hour ago, STM said:

Fwiw, I don't think he has a long term future. He could have a belting end to the season and I'd still wager that he will be sold in the summer but if he can contribute a few goals and assists before then... :thup:

Yeah. I’m starting to see it like that. Not sure he would ever fit in as a regular starter under Howe. As his attributes and style just don’t seem to fit with what we’re trying to do. Even if he is trying to fit in.

He is clearly more than talented enough to start for us. Now and in the future. But at the same time, he is too good to sit on the bench regularly and I doubt he’d be happy with that, if that ended up

being the case. 

Weirdly, he was good tracking back against West Ham and worked hard pressing at times. Just wasn’t particularly effective when closing players down. It also had an impact on his game going forward. As he looked well below his usual standard and lacking the usual explosiveness.