Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

31 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Getting in two wingers when we've recently spent 40m on one and have 4 first team wingers competing for 2 spots (and now also competing against Isak it seems) is crazy :lol: Besides keeper it's the last position we need to strengthen imo.

Im not counting Isak as a wide player at all even if he can play there. He should be central. Also if Wilson is injured we cannot even consider him out wide at this moment. ASM isn’t reliable fitness wise either. 

I would go for someone top class and for example Arda Guler. Then get rid of what needs to be done. Could even allow him to stay on loan at FB for a season. AG can play centrally too. If there is a chance to snap him up for a decent fee then it MUST be done, or at least do all we can to get him in. I just don’t see how someone like AG wouldn’t have a role to play.

Edited by Ikon

37 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

He's the one player that has regressed under Howes management

this isn't true at all btw. He's better in pretty much every measurable metric this season. Just hasn't been fit. 

43 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

People still over-rating Dubs I see.

We need a backup GK that has a similarish profile to Pope. At least one that steps off his line. That changes so much about our game

And I expect Dubs to go in search of first-team football.

Dubs is one of, if not the, best back up keeper in the league ffs [emoji38]

Have you actualy seen who the other top 6 have on their bench?

57 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Thought we looked better with him on.

I don't always agree with you on this, but he looked class for the period of time he was out there. His decision making was really responsible, if anything maybe too responsible. On nights like this he really does look a top player.

Just now, Colos Short and Curlies said:

He's going to be a great wildcard in the Champions League next year

My thoughts similar. In Europe he will have more time and space to do his thing. 

9 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Dubs is one of, if not the, best back up keeper in the league ffs [emoji38]

Have you actualy seen who the other top 6 have on their bench?

He’s not

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I don't rate Dubs like that.

He is quite obviously a better keeper than Tom Heaton/Jack Butland, Matt Turner and Fraser Forster. It’s not even up for debate tbh. 

1 hour ago, Smal said:

this isn't true at all btw. He's better in pretty much every measurable metric this season. Just hasn't been fit. 

This season, and what other are you comparing the measurable metric?

I'm his biggest fan, but I see improvements in players everywhere, my post wasn't aimed at his stats, but more about his individual style, visually he hasn't looked like the flamboyant Saint-Maximin, more like a guy under some pressure to fit into a system he perhaps isn't designed to fit in.

It's how it appears, but injuries are definitely playing a part, and obviously he's now not guaranteed a regular starters spot like he was under Bruce, must be difficult for a player with his immense technical ability to only make sub appearances now.

Edited by mighty__mag

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

He plays as a wide attacking forward in a team that has qualified for the Champions League yet has only managed one goal all season.

We need better if we want to push on.

6 goals+assist isnt that bad in a little over a 1000 minutes played.

7 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

I'm his biggest fan, but I see improvements in players everywhere, my post wasn't aimed at his stats, but more about his individual style, visually he hasn't looked like the flamboyant Saint-Maximin, more like a guy under some pressure to fit into a system he perhaps isn't designed to fit in.

It's how it appears, but injuries are definitely playing a part, and obviously he's now not guaranteed a regular starters spot like he was under Bruce, must be difficult for a player with his immense technical ability to only make sub appearances now.

His non penalty xG+xA per 90 is 0.50 this season, was between 0.35 and 0.39 in his previous seasons for us. You can see a significant rise in his expected assists, from 0.17-0.23 to 0.36. He's top of the league in Markstats fields gained by carry per 90 minutes and third in carries to penalty box per 90 behind Mitoma and Grealish. I honestly think upgrading him wouldn't be easy or cheap, just need to figure out how to keep him fit.

58 minutes ago, Pata said:

His non penalty xG+xA per 90 is 0.50 this season, was between 0.35 and 0.39 in his previous seasons for us. You can see a significant rise in his expected assists, from 0.17-0.23 to 0.36. He's top of the league in Markstats fields gained by carry per 90 minutes and third in carries to penalty box per 90 behind Mitoma and Grealish. I honestly think upgrading him wouldn't be easy or cheap, just need to figure out how to keep him fit.

I'm not a technical geek, but I appreciate that some people are and love data, for me I've always been obsessed with Saint-Maximin and all wingers like him who excite the crowds (Ginola et al)

The game earlier in the season vs Man City, and previous seasons under Bruce, ( fair to say ASM was probably managing himself ) he just looked electric, he's the one player any other friends who support other teams rave on about, or at work I always get "that saint-maximin is some player"

But of late or after his last screamer vs Wolves, he's just never returned to those levels, statistically you can dig and dig, but visually I'm not seeing the same flamboyance as I put in the last post. The only thing I can put it down to is he looks like he's afraid to run with that freedom like he used to.

Hope to see him injury free and back to his best next season. He's 100% got a role to play with us next season. 

On 23/05/2023 at 11:46, mighty__mag said:

He has definitely been tamed for the benefit of the team, he doesn't lose the ball as much and he lays it off when he gets himself into a corner, his passes and decision making have improved a lot. But, what I wouldn't give to watch him take on and merk 6 players with a mazy full tilt run and hit a thunderbastard into the top bins from outside the area, just once more Allan, just once more!

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

image.thumb.jpeg.60ba8499d3bb47b62d7f1deeea30bb6b.jpeg

Saw that interview and it's fairly obvious that he wants to be part of what's happening here next season. I think Eddie has already come out and said there'll be very few leaving of the current first team squad unless they want to go, so why would we sell him? With a CL campaign coming up, we'll need all our purples. it will be the fringe players like Hayden and Hendrick who will be encouraged to leave.