Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe covid had had some effect on his stamina/fitness levels?  Since he has been ill (maybe before), his head and work rate drop the moment we go behind.  And when he gets fouled, no matter how "lightly" he takes an eternity to get up and he always looks like he's about to go off injured.  Contrast that with Declan Rice who runs through walls for 90 mins. 

ASM is my favourite player, unreal natural talent, but I will like him a lot more once he is able to put in a full 90 min shift, he bounces back up from being fouled and he looks 100% committed for a full game.  If he can't/won't do that, then he will never realise his full potential and he will always be a "luxury" player who could have been so much more.  Early days I know and there is plenty of time for him to improve mentally and physically, but he certainly needs to.

10 hours ago, Kanji said:

I’m not about to lay blame on him for losing the ball and us conceding as a result. That happens to the best of these creative players and will always happen. The issue with that goal was the piss poor defending at the back post. 

Yep. Also if he didn't come deep to get the ball, you'd never see him in the game. He'd get bypassed in the same way Wilson and Almiron are when they stay further up the field. We have no plan on how to move the ball forward from the back, it's just players looking around to see if anyone wants it....and they usually don't. 

18 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Plenty of time for the team to recover after he lost the ball.

Yeah. No doubt it was an error to lose the ball there, but the danger had more or less be averted when the Hammers player overhit the pass out wide. The lad did a great job to still get a cross in, but from there it should have been fairly easy to defend if they weren't sat back on their heels. 

We need players to back him up incase he does lose the ball like when they scored, not just give it to him then stand and watch.

Basic stuff.

He's a dribbler, of course he is going to lose the ball sometimes.

Edited by ToonArmy1892

I'm alright with playing the 5-3-2 away from home providing that some changes to the personnel are made, like playing CBs at CB, playing midfielders in midfield and playing our £15m young wing back in place of a 31 year old Matt Ritchie. But yeah, 4-2-3-1 needs to be played at home as we have the ideal players for it.

Woodman

Manquillo/Murphy  Schar  Fernandez  Lewis

Hayden/Shelvey    Willock     

Saint-Maximin      Almiron          Fraser

Wilson

Don't want Shelvey starting or Murphy at full back; Bruce tax.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

He's been out for a while tbf but we do need a defensive midfielder who is better with the ball than Hayden. No idea if Choudhury is that but he may be worth a punt. Need a RB too tbh, when Manquillo who admittedly isn't great Bruce puts Murphy at wing back whilst he's a winger or we have to suffer Krafth playing football. Dunno what he was like at WBA and Arsenal may not want us raiding their young players again but would Maitland-Niles be worth a shot? 

34 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I’d go for Choudhury to partner Willock. Hayden isn’t improving.

Hayden is 10 times better than Choudhury and less likely to be sent off, which is some going.

Even if we must forage around in the bargain bins, there are many options better than Choudhury.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

Choudhury is rubbish., imo. He is one of those players that people think is good defensively because he looks fairly imposing and flies into some tackles but in reality has little effect on the match at all. He would be well-served to go somewhere and actually play consistently to learn his craft. Guy is 24 soon, and is treated like a youth player at Leicester.

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi

10 minutes ago, Segun Oluwaniyi said:

Choudhury is rubbish., imo. He is one of those players that people think is good defensively because he looks fairly imposing and flies into some tackles but in reality has little effect on the match at all. He would be well-served to go somewhere and actually play consistently to learn his craft. Guy is 24 soon, and is treated like a youth player at Leicester.

I thought the opposite when he came on v Chelsea in the Final, like. He came on and just shut the game down. Was more his positional play and intercepting rather than flying around as you suggested that day.

At least he does fly around, unlike both Hayden and Shelvey.  Hayden is going backwards, both in effectiveness and work rate.  Shelvey is so slow he's always looked like he's going backwards.  Edit.  That said, I wouldn't want Choudry.

Edited by TorchyTBB

I think that lots of people (including me) forget that Hayden was bought as a squad member to get us out of the Championship 4 or 5 years ago, no more. The fact he's performing adequately in the PL is him playing at the best level he's capable of despite only costing about a million quid. He's served his purpose and given much much more than that given his limited ability. I'm not slagging the bloke, he's a nice lad and gives everything he's got and it's not his fault he's now become a squad regular half a decade after he was signed for a specific purpose. He would probably have been phased out at a better club but that's just epitomises the way this whole circus operates. Why spend money when adequate is good enough? 

Hayden has been a fantastic servant of the club for a fairly limited player. I actually think at times even under Bruce he has been actually high standard. I think the fact he isn't technically gifted hugely or anything means he just normally dilligently gets on with his defensive job, a lot of other defensive mids start thinking they're yaya toure and rampage everywhere or attempting ludicrous passes. He's no Kante or anything but probably underrated really. Don't know why Bruce seems to want to play him higher, and all his good work is undone by having non entities like shelvey or hendrick or colback next to him.

West Ham got to him far quicker in the 2nd half and it cost us a goal (and yes there was subsequent poor defending, it’s not a go at ASM). If you can get a challenge in before he’s completed his 1st touch you can get him, once he’s got control and a yard of space you’re in trouble. His footwork is incredible, he shouldn’t be picking the ball up so deep and I’d like to think once Willock starts that he’ll not be. Let’s see what Brucey comes up with for the weekend.

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I thought the opposite when he came on v Chelsea in the Final, like. He came on and just shut the game down. Was more his positional play and intercepting rather than flying around as you suggested that day.

That is fair, I do not recall, he probably did play well on that occasion, but we should remember he came on late and sat next to the best purely defensive midfielder in the country and a class player in Tielemans. He will be next to Shelvey here :lol: I have watched Leicester a fair amount fair amount the last few seasons and the guy strikes me as a typical headless chicken, average midfielder type. Good physical profile, but not really technically or positionally strong. Guy is a utility type player at Premier League level and there are already two of those here in Hayden and Longstaff, imo. They need a clear improvement over these players.

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi

• 4 weeks later...