Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

Is he as good as HBA?

Remember HBA & Hope? He's the only light left on at the moment, if we didn't have ASM it'd be curtains, wey for me at least. He's the only hope.

I'd imagine quite alot of fans feel the same. 

Whilst I'm on this 'Brucie' shite is doing my fucking head in. 

8 minutes ago, Mike said:

Hell no. That's no knock on the lad but no. ASM is pure quality, HBA had nearly generational talent. Insane what could have been.

He was more talented yes, but there are multiple reasons he didn’t fulfil his potential and I’m sure his attitude is one of them. ASM is a ‘better’ player in that he’s more effective. 

I think HBA had more talent but I find ASM more fun to watch. I don't think I've ever seen anything like him, like the kid on the playground who's two years older than everyone else just running around with the ball loving it. Then the celebrations and that. I think he's a really unique joy. He's Kevin Keegan's management ethos as a person. 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

5 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I think HBA had more talent but I find ASM more fun to watch. I don't think I've ever seen anything like him, like the kid on the playground who's two years older than everyone else just running around with the ball loving it. Then the celebrations and that. I think he's a really unique joy. He's Kevin Keegan's management ethos as a person. 

ASM has more 'end product' imo. 

I think the lad has the talent and ability to play under a top coach almost anywhere.

A good manager would have him developing his all round game anyway so can't see why not.

Depressing as hell tbh. What our club could be is so frustrating and upsetting.

Love the KK reference earlier by Inferior Acuna: great way to put it :icon_salut:

Guest neesy111
12 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Anyone think he's fit/disciplined enough to play in a Klopp front 3?  Seems to run out of steam with us at times but then he's often taking on entire teams single-handed so not surprising.

Liverpool will be looking to refresh Mane/Salah in the next few years apparently...

He could be the classic big fish in small pond player, think he'd not like it being surrounded by better players tbh.  Although this is just my opinion.

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

He could be the classic big fish in small pond player, think he'd not like it being surrounded by better players tbh.  Although this is just my opinion.

Oh yeah could be right nees, totally.   He's not shy of graft, could see someone like Klopp taking a punt myself given their financial constraints.

The difference with HBA is he didn’t need rapid pace or great acceleration combined with space to beat a player where as ASM does, and Hatem had what I’d call natural ability with the ball and in his head, ASM doesn’t have it in his head, the thing with HBA is mentally he was fragile and wasn’t the best professional otherwise we’d be talking about a player on the level of the likes of a Messi and Ronaldo. ASM is great at what he does, but he’s not a great player if that makes sense. HBA was a great player, he just didn’t do it day in day out like the true greats did and do. 

Edited by HTT II

On HBA, it's easy to forget that he had a horrific leg break right at a key point in his career, followed by an equally horrific manager in Alan Pardew.

I agree with the mentality point, and he seems to have burned through managers anyway. You wonder what he might have achieved with a Sir Bobby in charge. He was probably the most naturally talented player I've ever seen live.

At Max is just explosive, though. I'm not sure you can compare the two meaningfully. Again, whilst he's a libero and you might be best not to coach that out of him, again, I still think you'd see so much more with a decent manager.

Again, Sir Bobby would have known what he had on his hands there

5 minutes ago, Abacus said:

On HBA, it's easy to forget that he had a horrific leg break right at a key point in his career, followed by an equally horrific manager in Alan Pardew.

I agree with the mentality point, and he seems to have burned through managers anyway. You wonder what he might have achieved with a Sir Bobby in charge. He was probably the most naturally talented player I've ever seen live.

At Max is just explosive, though. I'm not sure you can compare the two meaningfully. Again, whilst he's a libero and you might be best not to coach that out of him, again, I still think you'd see so much more with a decent manager.

Again, Sir Bobby would have known what he had on his hands there

HBA under KK and he’d have been one of the best in the world, ASM under KK or Sir Bobby and he’d be one of the best in the league, and easily so, he’s already one of the best at what he does, he pisses all over a similar ‘type’ of player in Adama Traoré for example and easily so, I don’t get how he’s seemingly rated at all. 

I was going to say KK, but then I expect he'd have played them both together, probably alongside Ginola and with Beardsley at no 10, with Gascoigne as defensive mid.

Plus an exhausted Alan Shearer knocking in all those chances.

I am now off in a pleasant daydream.

ASM wouldn’t look out of place in Man City’s team, he’s that good. His end product was questionable, but he’s absolutely nailed it now.

If we’d have had the takeover, he would’ve been fantastic to build the team around.

Sad really, he’ll be gone soon. Plus I’ve not has the opportunity to support him due to not attending games. Missed seeing a fantastic talent.

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

ASM wouldn’t look out of place in Man City’s team, he’s that good. His end product was questionable, but he’s absolutely nailed it now.

If we’d have had the takeover, he would’ve been fantastic to build the team around.

Sad really, he’ll be gone soon. Plus I’ve not has the opportunity to support him due to not attending games. Missed seeing a fantastic talent.

I disagree, Man City are all about ball possession, quick one twos, triangles, move into pockets, ASM is all about gets the ball, head up, runs, tries a few tricks to beat a player or two and then either runs out of steam or passes to a player who usually fluffs their lines. Compare Grealish, he knows what to do and what not to do, I don’t think ASM does or ever will.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

I disagree, Man City are all about ball possession, quick one twos, triangles, move into pockets, ASM is all about gets the ball, head up, runs, tries a few tricks to beat a player or two and then either runs out of steam or passes to a player who usually fluffs their lines. Compare Grealish, he knows what to do and what not to do, I don’t think ASM does or ever will.

I think most of that is down to the management though. Bruce’s entire game plan is to let ASM do whatever he wants. Put him under a manager who demands of him and it’ll be interesting to see how he adapts.