Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

If we go down and sell him for 50mill to a Everton or West Ham and I'll be spewing. I hope he goes an actual decent club, he's a match winner or difference maker for any team in the world but obviously would have question marks at elite level. 

I wondered about why no one took a punt and the only conclusion I can come to is that top teams don’t like that he doesn’t release it often enough/view him as a bit “playground” and the level below that would probably see better value elsewhere (Bailey for example) 

8 hours ago, HTT II said:

I disagree, Man City are all about ball possession, quick one twos, triangles, move into pockets, ASM is all about gets the ball, head up, runs, tries a few tricks to beat a player or two and then either runs out of steam or passes to a player who usually fluffs their lines. Compare Grealish, he knows what to do and what not to do, I don’t think ASM does or ever will.

He's actually far better than I thought he would be at releasing the ball, but essentially you're right. The really top teams want someone who will play the one twos, that's not ASM, fabulous talent though he is. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's actually far better than I thought he would be at releasing the ball, but essentially you're right. The really top teams want someone who will play the one twos, that's not ASM, fabulous talent though he is. 

Exactly, plus, in a system where there is a more risk attached to the attacking play, the strength of ASM (trying to beat a few) becomes a risk to the team as he loses it and leaves it susceptible to a fast transition. NUFC on the other hand sit back and let him do it all, so if he loses it, theoretically there are enough players camped in our own half to deal with it, as we rarely commit more than about 3 players forward at any one time

Just now, alijmitchell said:

Exactly, plus, in a system where there is a more risk attached to the attacking play, the strength of ASM (trying to beat a few) becomes a risk to the team as he loses it and leaves it susceptible to a fast transition. NUFC on the other hand sit back and let him do it all, so if he loses it, theoretically there are enough players camped in our own half to deal with it, as we rarely commit more than about 3 players forward at any one time

Yeah spot on. We are the perfect club for him tbh. 

17 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I think most of that is down to the management though. Bruce’s entire game plan is to let ASM do whatever he wants. Put him under a manager who demands of him and it’ll be interesting to see how he adapts.

Oh aye, it would be really interesting to see what he’d do under a competent manager, I feel at City, however, he’d be wasted, he’d be more suited at say Liverpool IMO. 

9 hours ago, TRon said:

Yeah spot on. We are the perfect club for him tbh. 

I’d argue he’s the perfect player for our club under the shit show that we are as without him we’d be royally fucked, but he’s far too good for us like. 

9 hours ago, TRon said:

He’s very unselfish in many ways, but a lot of his balls don’t often make the mark if you like but the intent and the unselfish play is clear to see in his game. I love watching him and would like to see him play someday in a team that suits his strengths, we don’t, his strengths suit us the most if that makes sense, we essentially rely on him to do his thing and it exhausts him. 

16 hours ago, HTT II said:

I’d argue he’s the perfect player for our club under the shit show that we are as without him we’d be royally fucked, but he’s far too good for us like. 

Fair point. I think I said earlier in this thread that if the takeover didn't go through he'd be gone this season. maybe a bit pessimistic in hindsight, but yeah there will be better clubs in for him before too long. 

23 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He has two players with one of the worst end product/movement in the league playing alongside him in Joelinton and Almiron, so you can't really fault him sometimes from not being able to release someone.

Almiron makes great runs, but he’s so wasteful on the ball IMO. 

7 hours ago, TRon said:

Fair point. I think I said earlier in this thread that if the takeover didn't go through he'd be gone this season. maybe a bit pessimistic in hindsight, but yeah there will be better clubs in for him before too long. 

He’ll be gone in January or next summer IMO.

1 minute ago, Ed210 said:

If he had left in the summer Bruce would be gone now. 

Nah he’s here for another 8 years at least, Bruce that is….