Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

He's Hatem Ben Arfa MK II - we all know this. 

He wants total creative freedom, this is why he loved Bruce. He cannot be given total creative freedom because then he gets lost. I can't believe I'm quoting Alan Pardew, but when he had Hatem at his best he said words to the effect of; "When Hatem has the ball its his world, when he doesn't it's my world." 

That's Saint-Maximin. He has one truly elite level skill and that's dribbling. The rest are a bit lower on the scale. That's enough to decide games if channelled correctly. I think it says so much about who he is that his biggest moments for us have often come when games are stretched. I wouldn't advocate making him an impact sub, but you have to keep him motivated until the 60th minute when things start to open up a bit. If you let him get into his own head then he's neither use nor ornament. 

I know everyone's convinced he's a winger bit I think we'd be better off with big Joe out wide and him uptop off Wilson. 

Can't have a winger that is so lazy and poor defensively when we already have two centre mids that offer no protection. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, Jaqen said:

I know everyone's convinced he's a winger bit I think we'd be better off with big Joe out wide and him uptop off Wilson. 

Can't have a winger that is so lazy and poor defensively when we already have two centre mids that offer no protection. 

Has he even had a good game when he's played off Wilson?  I think he gets lost where there's many bodies in the middle of the pitch.

13 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Has he even had a good game when he's played off Wilson?  I think he gets lost where there's many bodies in the middle of the pitch.

I think you can see a mile off why no top club would touch him with a barge pole. His attitude is very questionable to me and he’s certainly not a team player. 

Ive said before I dont think Howe has worked out how to best use him yet.

Maybe the inside forward role where he cuts inside while being man marked by 2 or 3 opposition players needs to change,

Maybe he could release the ball much quicker instead of trying to dribble to the edge of the box.

Or he needs closer support from our players so he can pass his way out of trouble

Or use himself as a dummy whereby he drags opposition man markers out of position.

Or something else :dontknow:

Shows you what a state we are in when we idolise this guy.

He's a great dribbler, but with very little else. End product is once in a blue moon and he rarely even creates.

He refuses to track and man and as et tu stated his attitude seems to stink when it's not going his way.

I was lucky enough to see Ginola, Robert and HBA in the flesh. All three create much and scored a fair few themselves. Obviously HBA not as many as the first two.

That's the level he needs to hit if he is gets anywhere near his dream of playing with Mbappe and Benzema as he seems to think he should.

He talks about the team not having the best player, but he's one them also.

Needs to improve and work on his weaknesses, which outside of running 45 yards with the ball, are many.

I'd play Lingard over him, who can't get a game at Manure, so unsure where that leaves Maxi in the Premier League greats.

I think a lot of the problem for ASM is that he either wants or feels like he has to solve the attacking plays by himself. And honestly, I don't blame him for that, when you see the finishing we apply when it's given from our players, well then might as well go for it.

Problem is though, his defensive ability is at best as good as Ritchie, and that is a major problem in a side like ours. So if I'm honest i would rather play him in a 10 or shadow striker and let him have some free role and then have a trio behind him that does not have Shelvey and Willock in it, now, we are quite clearly not spoilt for choices but at this point we might as well just try what we can try, cause having him on the wing when they go that route is rough.

But honestly, he is still one of the only hopes we have right now.

I’ve been thinking that the best way to accomodate ASM might be in a 4-3-3/4-5-1 - that way there are three centre mids and a left back down that side. 

(Mind, in that shape I’d drop Almiron for Murphy on the right, with Joelinton, Shelvey and Hayden in the middle)

I don't think he's anyhere near his best at the moment but I'm surprised to see so many people wanting him dropped. He's pretty much carried us for the last 2 and a half years

People say he has no end product. There was a game earlier this season against Watford where he should have had about 4 assists but our other players couldn;t finish simple chances. I'd describe a player with 'no end product' as someone like Jonas and ASM is a much better and effective footballer than Jonas. ASM also suffers with the HBA effect because  teams can double up on him knowing that the players on the opposite side (Almiron) aren't much of a threat.

ASM's goals, assists and chances created have been vital for us in the last 2 and a bit years, certainly don't think he's a 'highlights reel player' or whatever other nonsense is being labeled at him

For what it's worth I think Wilson has been in poor form recently (Burnley goal aside) but certainly don't want him dropped

Bad results always cause people to look at the creative players with more scrutiny or call for them to be dropped, regardless of how big the gap in quality is between them and the alternative.

He needs to start really, there's no real alternative.

14 hours ago, Awaymag said:

just pass the ball more.   He attracts 2 or 3 of the opposition all the time, because they're scared of what he can do.   That creates space so please use it.    Draw the players in and then a simple pass inside or outside and that's 2 or 3 players out of the attack.    He reminds me of a player in my youngest son's team.   Was fast and skilful but never passed, the rest of his teammates stopped trying to support him as they knew they weren't going to get the ball.   He left at the end of the season to go onto a better team apparently but my sons team are just happy that they could actually play as a team again.

He gave a recent interview where he revealed he was aware of this. Was about 3-4 weeks ago. I was hoping to see some physical evidence.

Saw him described as a luxury we can’t afford today. Absolute madness. He’s been one of our most important players for the last year or so, he’s the most talented in the squad and offers us something others can’t and people are starting to turn on him. Bizarre. Saw a standard PFM fan comment about how he doesn’t track back enough. I’m guessing it’s the same people who didn’t rate Ben Arfa as well if he didn’t win a game on his own. 

I'd never drop ASM, he's the match winner like Wilson. Either through breaking through the opposition, setting it up or scoring it. Without a doubt opposition now double and triple mark him. Our fault is we have failed to adapt to use the space be creates, and ASM needs to release the ball to players in the space he creates. He can try too hard and attempt to take on the world. We just need to be smarter now the opposition look to nullify him, as it brings a different opportunity.

I think alot of us wondered how he would fair in a side under a proper manager with a tactical setup after a few years of Bruce just winging it and letting him crack on to see if he can do a bit of magic. Can't see him lasting once we get better players in but for now we urgently need him as we have no alternative. Other sides know this so Mark him out, no doubt he has the ability to create now and then but he currently has the hardest job in the side and is showing it.

January can't come soon enough.

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

I don't think he's anyhere near his best at the moment but I'm surprised to see so many people wanting him dropped. He's pretty much carried us for the last 2 and a half years

People say he has no end product. There was a game earlier this season against Watford where he should have had about 4 assists but our other players couldn;t finish simple chances. I'd describe a player with 'no end product' as someone like Jonas and ASM is a much better and effective footballer than Jonas. ASM also suffers with the HBA effect because  teams can double up on him knowing that the players on the opposite side (Almiron) aren't much of a threat.

ASM's goals, assists and chances created have been vital for us in the last 2 and a bit years, certainly don't think he's a 'highlights reel player' or whatever other nonsense is being labeled at him

For what it's worth I think Wilson has been in poor form recently (Burnley goal aside) but certainly don't want him dropped

The problem with players like him is twofold. Firstly, there's obviously his defensive responsibility, which I'm not going to flay him for too much, players like him rarely track back with much enthusiasm.

But he can also cause problems going forwards because he tries to go it alone more often than not, then other players stop making runs as well, they just sit back and hope he'll somehow beat everyone by himself. 

It's not all his fault, there's no movement in our team to begin with, but with him there, it gives other players an excuse, they will just say he doesn't pass it so no point in making runs and getting out of position if he loses the ball. 

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

I'd bench him for Liverpool. He looks tired and shot to bits. Bring him on for the last 20-30 mins if by some miracle we're still in the game at that stage.

I’m his biggest fan but I can see some sense to this in particular with the fact we have so many games this month. Try keep a fairly disciplined shape then let Maxi cause havoc.