Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

On 29/05/2022 at 23:20, Pata said:

This is so embarrassing, take away his keyboard. Even if he thinks that way there’s no way he should make it public right now.

’I would have nailed him’, fucking hell what a dinosaur.

Yep, but I get the sense that we may well get more for him now than at any time in future. With the options, I sincerely hope we will have,  I don’t think he’ll feature as much unless he ups his all round game. Whilst you obviously play with the assets/potential assets you have, I don’t think he is the kind of player Howe would have bought. So if he fancies someone else in that role, and has the opportunity to secure them (bit of speculation about Jack Harrison in the rumour mill…) now might well be the time to offload.  

On 30/05/2022 at 08:36, Ben said:

I must admit I'm 50 50 with him and trust Howe and his coaching staff 100%, I'll put my tin hat on here but I thought we looked more dangerous with Fraser in that position, so maybe an upgrade on him would be better.

I don’t think anyone would come in right now with an offer which would make us sell. I think though next season is huge for him because if he’s not performing consistently he’ll be moved on considering where we’re aiming. I still think with more options in attack we’ll see a better Saint. Arsenal was an example of that when Wilson played and say you add a Diaby type winger the other side teams won’t be able to double up on him. Don’t rule out Howes ability to coach him to becoming a better player too.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m excited to see what he can do next season. Because of Howe and better players around him. Get him in top condition from the off and keep him fit and I’m certain he will deliver and grow as a more effective player.

Edited by Ikon

I am also excited about next season, I reckon the coin will drop and we will see some x rated performances coming from him.

Have 100% faith in Eddie and the crew and i think with a proper pre-season (not a brucie bonus one) he will shine this coming season.

Please; for his sake and the team´s, Calum, stay fit big man!!! you are the key to our team performing at the highest level!!

5 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Aye - a proper pre season fitness program should work wonders with him.

Then theres the better players, the better facilities, the better staff.....

Be like a new signing

I really hope so. Hopefully a full pre-season with Eddie will turn him into a well rounded player rather than being told just to try and score a goal all by himself while everyone else parks the bus under Bruce.

If he develops his team play, fitness and work ethic, which are all easy things to work on, he could be a really decent player for us going forward. Fingers crossed.

Edited by JumpersForGoalposts

Make or break season to me - if the lad can look up more often and release the ball just a little earlier he’ll be a cracking footballer.   I thought the last two or three games of last year were the best ‘all round’ games he’d played for us - if we can get a better player on the other flank to take the pressure off his side it could make a massive difference.  Plus Howe has a full pre-season to work with him.

If next season is all running down blind alleys and shooting tamely from ludicrous angles then that’ll be it. 

33 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Make or break season to me - if the lad can look up more often and release the ball just a little earlier he’ll be a cracking footballer.   I thought the last two or three games of last year were the best ‘all round’ games he’d played for us - if we can get a better player on the other flank to take the pressure off his side it could make a massive difference.  Plus Howe has a full pre-season to work with him.

If next season is all running down blind alleys and shooting tamely from ludicrous angles then that’ll be it. 

Sorry, I disagree. The 'release it sooner' line is an observation built upon years of Bruce-ball - the movement off him was non-existent. Wilson tried, but one player won't cut it, you need to attack as a team. Wood, off the ball and when we're in possession, is generally woeful. Allan's literally only had a couple of games with Bruno and Wilson. The amount of one-twos and passes between Bruno and Allan is like night and day, I think Allan's had more completed passes to Bruno than the rest of the team combined. This guy recognises quality and I think he's going to flourish with more players around him who are comfortable in possession and know how to find space off the ball.

When opponents know they can't just defend one 'magic-man', because we've got threats on both flanks and through the middle, he'll have more space and options.

47 minutes ago, HawK said:

Sorry, I disagree. The 'release it sooner' line is an observation built upon years of Bruce-ball - the movement off him was non-existent. Wilson tried, but one player won't cut it, you need to attack as a team. Wood, off the ball and when we're in possession, is generally woeful. Allan's literally only had a couple of games with Bruno and Wilson. The amount of one-twos and passes between Bruno and Allan is like night and day, I think Allan's had more completed passes to Bruno than the rest of the team combined. This guy recognises quality and I think he's going to flourish with more players around him who are comfortable in possession and know how to find space off the ball.

When opponents know they can't just defend one 'magic-man', because we've got threats on both flanks and through the middle, he'll have more space and options.

Nowt to do with Bruce-ball whatsoever.  The most naturally talented players I’ve seen in B&W - Beardsley, Ginola, Robert, HBA - didn’t hold on to the ball like ASM because all of those players had footballing intelligence.  ASM, to date, has shown few signs that he has it - and I’m hoping some can coached in.  Better players around you help, yes.  No good team - or manager - would have put up with play that shite for any length of time.  

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Nowt to do with Bruce-ball whatsoever.  The most naturally talented players I’ve seen in B&W - Beardsley, Ginola, Robert, HBA - didn’t hold on to the ball like ASM because all of those players had footballing intelligence.  ASM, to date, has shown few signs that he has it - and I’m hoping some can coached in.  Better players around you help, yes.  No good team - or manager - would have put up with play that shite for any length of time.  

Sorry but you really can't compare this team with the ones that either of Ginola or Robert played in. Hatem also had 2 decent strikers to play off in Ba and Cisse. 

They're not fair comparisons. 

31 minutes ago, HawK said:

Sorry but you really can't compare this team with the ones that either of Ginola or Robert played in. Hatem also had 2 decent strikers to play off in Ba and Cisse. 

They're not fair comparisons. 

What about the one I saw Gazza play in?  That was a side filled with mediocrities and a footballing genius.

ASM is exciting in a shit team because he can beat a man.  Playing in a shit team has potentially helped not hindered him - his worst excesses have not been curbed.  If NUFC becomes the side we hope in the next couple of years he’ll have to either improve massively or be shipped off.  

‘Bruce-ball’, if it has skewed anything, is to make people forget what really good footballers actually look like.  ASM is more Ketsbaia with Twitter nous than a footballing genius. 

47 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

What about the one I saw Gazza play in?  That was a side filled with mediocrities and a footballing genius.

ASM is exciting in a shit team because he can beat a man.  Playing in a shit team has potentially helped not hindered him - his worst excesses have not been curbed.  If NUFC becomes the side we hope in the next couple of years he’ll have to either improve massively or be shipped off.  

‘Bruce-ball’, if it has skewed anything, is to make people forget what really good footballers actually look like.  ASM is more Ketsbaia with Twitter nous than a footballing genius. 

After comparing him with some of our best players in the PL era, you now want to compare him with one of the most talented footballers this country has ever produced? 

Look, Allan is a very good player playing in a limited team. He's not as good as Maradona either before you escalate there next. He can't pick a pass or dance around players in slow motion like Gazza or Beardsley, or switch it onto either side at will like Ginola. He can't take a free kick like Robert and he hasn't had a hope of replicating anything that Hatem did in a team with Ba, Cisse, Cabaye and Tiote all playing in their absolute prime years. 

No-one is saying Allan's the greatest player of a generation like your examples. I'm saying because of this, as he is a player with weaknesses, he needs better players around him - to be good off the ball, to take his 2nd man marker of him and focus on our breaking midfielders or have more space to operate as the defence is stretched worrying also about whoever will be doing an actual good job on right wing. 

He has had the weight of literally a whole team and club on him under Bruce. He was literally Bruce's no 1 tactic (and only one). 

Pre-season with Eddie and better players and be should be a different player. Needs to improve in certain areas for sure. Lets see.