Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

On 17/06/2022 at 23:00, TheBrownBottle said:

What about the one I saw Gazza play in?  That was a side filled with mediocrities and a footballing genius.

ASM is exciting in a shit team because he can beat a man.  Playing in a shit team has potentially helped not hindered him - his worst excesses have not been curbed.  If NUFC becomes the side we hope in the next couple of years he’ll have to either improve massively or be shipped off.  

‘Bruce-ball’, if it has skewed anything, is to make people forget what really good footballers actually look like.  ASM is more Ketsbaia with Twitter nous than a footballing genius. 

That's been my main criticism of him as well. He's a fantastic talent, but he doesn't release the ball quickly enough, the best players spot the passes before defenders even see them coming.

Yes I do accept that it's harder for him because our players don't make aggressive runs, but I personally don't think it comes naturally to him, he wants to hold the ball as long as possible. I have seen Ekiteke releases the ball quickly when a team mate is better positioned, and he's a lot younger than Maxi. These things shouldn't need coaching.

I really like the bit where he does loads of tricks, fools no one and ends up standing exactly where he started, but with the added bonus of the defence getting a chance to get set and mark his teammates before he gets the chance to pass.

A great laugh for him, but if I was one of the coaches, I wouldn't be laughing, because that's exactly the sort of crap that he needs to get out of the habit of doing.

1 hour ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

I really like the bit where he does loads of tricks, fools no one and ends up standing exactly where he started, but with the added bonus of the defence getting a chance to get set and mark his teammates before he gets the chance to pass.

A great laugh for him, but if I was one of the coaches, I wouldn't be laughing, because that's exactly the sort of crap that he needs to get out of the habit of doing.

Fuck me - don’t think the coaches are having a melt down about a fun game of 5 a side 

7 hours ago, JumpersForGoalposts said:

He did score though... 

Guest HTT II
10 hours ago, Rafalove said:

They are literally just standing there watching him, he wouldn’t last 5 seconds playing 5–a-side at Soccer World!

10 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Must admit I’m not crazy about this supposed salary cap. It’s probably sensible but it’s not a policy that will win you anything anytime soon. 

Yup. ATM we can't even offer half of what teams like Arsenal can to their top players. Means we'll have to buy from teams like the ones we are targeting in France and hope there's no real competition. Chances are we end the summer window further behind the top 6 than we started it. It's still early day in this project I suppose but that sort of wage cap will have to be abandoned soon. 

On 21/06/2022 at 23:12, JumpersForGoalposts said:

:lol::lol: you couldn’t parody this well. Superb stuff.

On 22/06/2022 at 08:12, JumpersForGoalposts said:

Hopefully he'll realise at some point that the reason the likes of Messi and C Ronaldo don't try and beat twenty players every fucking time (even though there is a good chance they could) is because there is usually a pass which is on which would stretch the opposition defence quicker and more effectively.  And yes, they obviously aren't trying to find Chris Wood - but the point remains; beating players is the usual recourse when better options are not available.

Johann Cruyff always talked about good footballers playing with their heads up; they don't need to constantly look at the ball, they're looking for options.  The easiest, quickest and most effective way to beat a man is to pass the ball past him.  If the lad would learn to look, he'd improve rapidly.  What gives me hope is I thought you could see a bit of that in the last four or five games of the season.  Nothing would make me happier than Howe and the coaches improving this side of his game.  If they do, he could be with us for years.  If not, he'll be gone quickly.

6 minutes ago, KDT said:

The hate for Saint-Maximin is mental, let's have Murphy start 30 league games and see where we end up.

Exactly. We found the January transfer window hard and this summer window has been equally as frustrating. Anyone who thinks we could sell ASM and bring in a better player at the drop of the hat is mistaken given the ridiculous fees we're being quoted.

Selling ASM would be a massive own goal for the owners imo. Our only selling-points currently (to next-level players) are that we’re an ambitious outfit and financial heavyweights; having a self-imposed salary cap and then having to sell an important player to raise funds would lead to questions as to how serious we are.

Edited by McCormick