Jump to content

Allan Saint-Maximin


Disco
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

 

People don’t hate him they are just disappointed he is not reaching his full potential due to some really obvious (but fixable) flaws.

 

It’s always one or the other with folk on here :lol: you must either think he’s the best in the world or you want him carrying past the Strawberry naked and lashed with a whip.

 

Nobody could possibly appreciate his raw talent but recognise he could be even better, for his own personal benefit but the team also.

 

Nah I've absolutely been around some people at the match who hate him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, loki679 said:

Happy to have him in the side next season but also happy to get rid and upgrade on him this window.  He's good but he's not top class and if we can get £35m for him and bring in someone better then let's do it.  If we can't then he's good enough for now.

But if we upgrade other areas of the team, the opposition will find it difficult to double up on ASM without leaving space for upgraded teamates to exploit!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why we are discussing this tbh, we haven't got a better player in the team and are unlikely to get a better one this window with so many other holes to fill (fnar fnar). Really does seem to be a polarised view on ASM, the boy clearly has bags of talent but doesn't always make the right decisions, he's a great player but will unlikely be the world beater everyone wishes he would be. He is unstoppable on his day and frustrating off it, but it's delusional to be talking about binning him off at this stage of his and our development.

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Did you even read the article on how this has come about? My goodness :lol:

 

I'm not talking about the article, I'm talking about people's reactions to the article as well as the general consensus of a fairly large contingent of online fans.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of interest, would anyone think we should give him the new deal he's after this summer, if the article is accurate?

 

For me, I'd like to have a look at what he does this season before discussing a new contract with him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs to be targeting 10 goals and at least 10 assists next season (be it league or all competitions) if he does stay, he’s capable of the former, I’m not sure of the latter…

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He needs to be targeting 10 goals and at least 10 assists next season (be it league or all competitions) if he does stay, he’s capable of the former, I’m not sure of the latter…

Other way round surley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HTT II said:

He needs to be targeting 10 goals and at least 10 assists next season (be it league or all competitions) if he does stay, he’s capable of the former, I’m not sure of the latter…

 

I think that's fair, and he should be capable of that tbh.

 

He managed 5 goals and 5 assists this year having missed a number of games, and also having played without Callum a lot too when he did play.

 

He needs to use the desire for a new contract as motivation to have a great season, and all the chips will fall into place from there. Just don't think it's justified for him at the minute.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

 

I think that's fair, and he should be capable of that tbh.

 

He managed 5 goals and 5 assists this year having missed a number of games, and also having played without Callum a lot too when he did play.

 

He needs to use the desire for a new contract as motivation to have a great season, and all the chips will fall into place from there. Just don't think it's justified for him at the minute.

Agreed, having a quality right winger and another top CF and maybe a CM playmaker or even DM may help him produce better numbers, for all his faults every game he is often doubled up on or even sometimes by 3 players.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like maximin but hes career path is totally down to him, If he stays with us and learns how and when to pass he'll become a legend for life,If he moves it'll take him even longer to adopt and less football he reminds me of a young Ronaldo (Not comparing) but the tricks he got taught outer  him to improve him

 

 

Edited by astraguy

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is going to have a good year if he can avoid injury. He's at a good age, has been in the league for awhile now and feels a little like a point to prove.

 

Plenty of excuses previous seasons, but going into this year every player including him, should be looking to attack it with positivity and not the flat out misery of previous years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He needs to be given a chance wide right and told to get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.If he refuses then we must get rid.Step overs and using the nearest team mate in a better position as a decoy isn’t what you see when watching decent teams play.By the end of last season we were half decent.Decent teams finish 6th,7th or even 8th,where I’m expecting us to finish next season.That’s with the squad we currently have which I’ve included Botman in.

If we could get Arjen Robben out of retirement we would have Botman and Robben in the team.

Mal Donaghy and Phil Babb in defence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

He needs to be given a chance wide right and told to get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.If he refuses then we must get rid.Step overs and using the nearest team mate in a better position as a decoy isn’t what you see when watching decent teams play.By the end of last season we were half decent.Decent teams finish 6th,7th or even 8th,where I’m expecting us to finish next season.That’s with the squad we currently have which I’ve included Botman in.

If we could get Arjen Robben out of retirement we would have Botman and Robben in the team.

Mal Donaghy and Phil Babb in defence.

 

So Howe should tell him to never use his greatest strength and just cross the ball at first opportunity? Fucking hell. :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2022 at 15:12, Pata said:

 

So Howe should tell him to never use his greatest strength and just cross the ball at first opportunity? Fucking hell. :lol:

His greatest strength to me is being able to make space to find a team mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 27/06/2022 at 15:30, Happinesstan said:

I'm all fr playing him on the right but you want him getting to the by=line.

If he’s told to get crosses in from the byline,our attacking players could be waiting quite a while,like they do now,for the ball to arrive in the box.Defenders would double up on him and he’d still ‘follow orders’ and lose the ball cheaply.

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

If he’s told to get crosses in from the byline,our attacking players could be waiting quite a while,like they do now,for the ball to arrive in the box.Defenders would double up on him and he’d still ‘follow orders’ and lose the ball cheaply.

 

Defenders already do double up on him, as they have for the past 2 seasons, as we have no other attacking players worth their time apart from Wilson. He receives the ball too high up the pitch to have anyone worth passing to. On the occasions where we've actually attacked as a unit, i.e. in the last few weeks of Howe's era., he's passed it loads or crossed it. Especially to Bruno.

 

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at this guy is just lazy and not based on the reality of what he's had to do for this team on the pitch, i.e. carry all of them, for years. With no-one else to pass to because no-one would support the attack he and Wilson would be on. When Wilson's not playing it really has been him alone vs teams' entire back 5 almost every game whilst our midfielders stand and watch. I've grimaced when he's been carrying the ball and he's tried to lay it off to Almiron, who messes up bringing such a basic pass under control as he runs into defenders rather than draw them away. I've been watching Wood just stand next to central defenders for entire games for 4 months when we've had the ball, marking himself out of the game as he goes into hiding. We got a glimpse of what Maxi can do when he was up top vs Norwich as a deep-lying striker, with attacker and midfielders pushing on around him. 

 

All he needs is another competent attacking player on the right to balance out the side, and for the team to continue attacking as a unit. Either way this season should start with a blank slate for everyone, no-one can trade on past glories, but I have high expectations of Maxi.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...