Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Just now, Kanji said:

Not sure how you watch yesterday and not think Max did well. He drove us forward, created a few chances, had a pop at goal and was running and pressing and challenging whoever he needed to. No sulking, demanding the ball so he can try and get us 3 points. Celebrated with his mate Isak after the goal too. 

Only one person doesn't think he did well tbf :lol: It's hardly a debate.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

Noticeable that he looks for a pass now. Thought he looked really good apart from lying down for a bit when we were desperately trying to score.

Had a nice nap and that’s what matters 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

Not sure how you watch yesterday and not think Max did well. He drove us forward, created a few chances, had a pop at goal and was running and pressing and challenging whoever he needed to. No sulking, demanding the ball so he can try and get us 3 points. Celebrated with his mate Isak after the goal too. 

I thought he was very useful yesterday, for a few months it's been clear that he's been working on his team play and his overall effort without the ball. 

He way well be replaced by someone better, but you can't say he isn't trying. 

I noted the other week in the cup game match thread he looked visibly leaner when he came on. Hopefully it doesn't affect his explosiveness too much, but removing some of that extra bulk will help immensely with his off-the-ball pressing.

39 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Think he'll eventually end up being someone we bring on in games like yesterday when we're needing something to win us a game, and used in the cups from the start.

As useful as he’d be in that kind of role I don’t think he’s the type of personality to be happy with it. 

He could have an Eric Lamela or Lucas Moura type role to play if he's up for it. He'll still get 15-20 league starts with injuries and rotation as well as being a starter in the cups. It's about what he averages a season anyway but the pressure on his body which doesn't seem cut out for our way of playing might be less playing in Europe for example.

4 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Noticeable that he looks for a pass now. Thought he looked really good apart from lying down for a bit when we were desperately trying to score.

Not sure if you were at the game (?) but in fairness to him it was a hell of a whack he took in that challenge.

Sounds strange but I kind of forgot how good he was. Been so long since we've seen him for longer than 15/20 minutes and how he instantly attracts 2 of the opposition defenders, yet still finds space, a pass or a shot is pretty impressive. 

Every team doubles up on him now and you would be mad not to tbh. I think that's why he goes to the floor a lot as he gets frustrated being doubled up on and expects its a foul every time. 

He'll always have that ability to beat a man and cut inside which is exciting to watch, and the most important thing is that he creates space for others due to the doubling up. I think that's the compromise with his lack of defending. Unfortunately you just can't get both. 

I think it's either psychological or physical but he's not as explosively fast as he was. Think back to how rapid he looked against Everton last year or even Man city this year. 

Maybe he'll need a run of games to get back to that level or perhaps he's afraid of his hamstrings pinging and being back to square one. Or perhaps just the build of injuries has just slowed him down permanently. 

Think it is easy to forget how good he came be on his day, we were all excited to see the best of him under Howe. The man city game was a nice taster but so far it just hasn't happened yet. 

Hope we see it a few more times before the end of the season so if he does leave in the summer, atleast we get to see if he truly works in this team or if it will be right to let him go and get a player that Howe prefers. 

I think if he stays injury free, he will prove his quality and that he belongs in the first 11 still.

Edited by alexf

13 hours ago, Conjo said:

and here I thought you've always sounded like a top guy when posting about NUST and work put in with WF. Turns out you're just miserable twat who hates life. No tifo will ever fill the black hole in your heart until you can embrace the brilliance of HBA.

Not at all. I enjoy HBA and I enjoy ASM, they're exciting to watch. They just aren't what we need or what will get us to where we want to be. Entirely uncessary saying I'm a miserable twat simply because I don't agree on his contributions too.

12 minutes ago, Heron said:

Not at all. I enjoy HBA and I enjoy ASM, they're exciting to watch. They just aren't what we need or what will get us to where we want to be. Entirely uncessary saying I'm a miserable twat simply because I don't agree on his contributions too.

Wasn't entirely serious either fwiw :lol:

He’s deserving of more time on the pitch, I really like Willock but he’s not an out and out winger. He does keep creating excellent opportunities on the left so I don’t know what’s best. I want them both on the pitch 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s deserving of more time on the pitch, I really like Willock but he’s not an out and out winger. He does keep creating excellent opportunities on the left so I don’t know what’s best. I want them both on the pitch 

Drop Longstaff to the bench and put Willock in his position

Just now, joeyt said:

Drop Longstaff to the bench and put Willock in his position

Don’t think it’s that simple, in theory they are playing the same position but you never see Willock play as low as Longstaff and don’t think Willock could do Longstaff’s role.