Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

image.thumb.png.6d39ed7abf6c2ab210880aa437b66a77.png

This has been fairly typical for a while now.

Willock is basically a second striker/forward. Bruno and Longstaff are a pivot most of the game. I like him but he either needs to start scoring/assisting or come out of the team imo.

Edited by Smal

1 minute ago, Smal said:

Willock is basically a second striker/forward. Bruno and Longstaff are a pivot most of the game. I like him but he either needs to start scoring/assisting or come out of the team imo.

This is how I feel too, he needs to show some end product when he’s playing in an advanced role like that.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Willock has put it on a plate for Longstaff and Almiron in the last 2 matches and they've fluffed their lines like, I think it's not quite as simple as being about what he needs to do.

Sure, but he (Willock) has 2 goals and 2 assists in 19 league games this season. For someone playing that role it’s not great is it.

Like I said I like him, but I’d probably try him on the wing to see if he can start getting numbers from there instead. Taking Longstaff out of the team to play ASM would leave us very open imo. Willock switches off too many times defensively to play a deeper role.

Edited by Smal

5 minutes ago, Pata said:

This is how I feel too, he needs to show some end product when he’s playing in an advanced role like that.

The thing is his xG is great and he gets a huge amount of the ball in the opposition box which is great but… he has 2 goals and 2 assists.

13 minutes ago, Smal said:

He plays pretty wide though. 

nobody operates in the 10 space. 

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

Sure, but he (Willock) has 2 goals and 2 assists in 19 league games this season. For someone playing that role it’s not great is it.

Like I said I like him, but I’d probably try him on the wing to see if he can start getting numbers from there instead. Taking Longstaff out of the team to play ASM would leave us very open imo. Willock switches off too many times defensively to play a deeper role.

It's not great, but the examples I've given I think demonstrate that the devil's in the details and it isn't necessarily just on him to answer. His xAG is high I think there's as much onus on the rest of the team (particularly Wilson at the moment) to step up.

Edited by Kid Icarus

ASM looks a lot slimmer and hopefully fitter than he was. I think that they side are getting a bit stale and we need an injection of something different.  Most of the starting 11 have played nearly every game and done incredibly well but we need something different 

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's not great, but the examples I've given I think demonstrate that the devil's in the details and it isn't necessarily just on him to answer. His xAG is high I think there's as much onus on the rest of the team (particularly Wilson at the moment) to step up.

You’re right that there’s more to it ofc. I don’t think our press or counter-press has been anywhere near as good recently which is a big reason for it imo because we have been so good on transitions this season. Joelinton needs to come back into midfield. 

I think the way we’re playing (and the way teams are playing that low block against us) isn’t particularly conducive to letting ASM really shine. We’re too pushed up and compact. He needs the space to run with the ball but the positions he’s getting the ball in now are way up towards the oppositions’ 18-yard box so there isn’t a lot of grass ahead of him to take on players and do what he does best. 

Edited by cubaricho

43 minutes ago, James said:

ASM was in my opinion player most at fault for the Pope save, a really heavy pass back to Botman under pressure.

His football IQ is just too low which is why he won’t be around much longer.

I mean, I might need to watch it again but from my recollection of it this is a bit of a nonsensical take

Botman had time to decide what to do and he played a dangerous pass, blaming ASM for it is a stretch

For me, I don’t think he needs to completely buy into the same system as all the other players, yes, he should press but I don’t think he needs to track back like others do as we can play a counter attack style by leaving him up the pitch. The main thing that needs to change is his decision making and linking up with teammates effectively like you say. He played a lovely through ball today which is the type of ball you never see him play and instead of trying to beat two players he made the decision to pass. I’m happy for him still to go for a few mazy dribbles every game, doesn’t matter if they don’t come off as they can be very dangerous and pull defenders out of position but it’s just about him weighing up things more and choosing a good option to go to a teammate when they’re making a run or are free and in a better position than him 

It's his press thats a bit of the problem. It's like Miggys used to be, badly timed and angled and is  usually just a sprint towards the ball, not trying to press play into any area. Miggys press is a different beast altogether since Eddie came and the team press has to be with everyone on the same page, pressing at the same time with the idea of pressing to the places you want.

Edited by madras

Would try ASM and Isak for Willock and Wilson. 

Problem with Isak is he drops out of the 9 position to receive the ball. He’s good at it too. A midfield runner when that happens is a must though. You’d normally think Willock would be the one for that. 
Maybe Miggy off his wing? Or JL7 coming from deep? 
Something to pull the team out of shape.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Would try ASM and Isak for Willock and Wilson. 

Problem with Isak is he drops out of the 9 position to receive the ball. He’s good at it too. A midfield runner when that happens is a must though. You’d normally think Willock would be the one for that. 
Maybe Miggy off his wing? Or JL7 coming from deep? 
Something to pull the team out of shape.

I defo think Saint Max and Isak will start on Tues and that was the plan before Palace regardless of the result but I think the dropping in is only an issue while he gets game time and gets in the rhythm of his team.

4 hours ago, James said:

ASM was in my opinion player most at fault for the Pope save, a really heavy pass back to Botman under pressure.

His football IQ is just too low which is why he won’t be around much longer.

Just watched it back and I was right to think this was a nonsensical take

His pass was perfectly fine to Botman, wasn't heavy at all and Botman actually controlled it, he then decided to play a risky pass into Joelinton even though he was crowded and that's what caused the chance for the Pope save 

1 hour ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Just watched it back and I was right to think this was a nonsensical take

His pass was perfectly fine to Botman, wasn't heavy at all and Botman actually controlled it, he then decided to play a risky pass into Joelinton even though he was crowded and that's what caused the chance for the Pope save 

Just watched it back

ASM's pass to Botman is fine, Botman makes the mistake as he does a first time no look pass into midfield.

You are right apart from saying Botman controlled it, he passes first time.

Edited by IzzyIsak