Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

47 minutes ago, Smal said:

Last season he made 35 PL appearances. I think he's just been unlucky this season and it will take time for someone with his physiology to adjust from training once a week under Bruce to what Howe has them doing. 

We didn't really play this style of high press until this season though didn't we?

It's a shame, on his day he's a match winner, but not convinced he's cut out for the sort of lifestyle he would need to maintain to stay injury free. Either that or his body's just not up to it.

By the way, it seems like Craig Hope has led with his clickbaity bullshit (again - my god I can't stand that bloke)...

Eddie quite clearly says in last night's pre-Southampton press conference that he won't play Sunday... maybe OK for next week, but you never know with hamstring injuries. See here starting at 3:10...

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We didn't really play this style of high press until this season though didn't we?

No, and that's kind of the point. For someone with his explosiveness, going from doing low intensity training to very high intensity training immediately will be destroying his muscles. I think a full pre-season with focus on flexibility, strength and conditioning would do wonders for him. 

11 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

By the way, it seems like Craig Hope has led with his clickbaity bullshit (again - my god I can't stand that bloke)...

Eddie quite clearly says in last night's pre-Southampton press conference that he won't play Sunday... maybe OK for next week, but you never know with hamstring injuries. See here starting at 3:10...

You're right. Pure clickbait from Hope. Definitely a bit of a bellend these days. 

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

No, and that's kind of the point. For someone with his explosiveness, going from doing low intensity training to very high intensity training immediately will be destroying his muscles. I think a full pre-season with focus on flexibility, strength and conditioning would do wonders for him. 

Surely we'd have done that last summer? I'd love him to be able to do it, I'm just not sure. If he was happy to take a Wilson type role at the club then brilliant, but can't see that at his age when he could play every week for a counter-attacking team..

30 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You're right. Pure clickbait from Hope. Definitely a bit of a bellend these days. 

He's a clickbaiter. Every YouTube video he posts he talks like he's writing a headline... "Exclusive news"... "I've said it before and I'll say it again" (as if anyone really hangs on what he says). Ideas far above his station.

Edited by Shadow Puppets

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Surely we'd have done that last summer? I'd love him to be able to do it, I'm just not sure. If he was happy to take a Wilson type role at the club then brilliant, but can't see that at his age when he could play every week for a counter-attacking team..

I dunno, maybe they didn't see it as a problem last season seeing that he'd managed to play in 35/38 games.

I'd be gutted to see him go in the summer, especially with European football. Good chance we'll be playing some counter attacking football if we get into the CL and he brings a different option to anything else we have, not an easy type of player to replace either. A load of players should be on the chopping block before Maxi if we're looking to balance the books too, unless someone comes in with a mental offer. 

Issue with the journos is that while all the takeover shite was happening and the years of angst around the previous ownership, club generated clicks were sky high, the journos didn’t need to embellish anything.

Now that the club is finally being run well. We see all we need to really from either club media accounts or by the football on the pitch. So either side of a transfer window, they’re in a full on drought when it comes to their usual clicks.

Eddie Howe has said before he sees a future here for Maxi and unless Maxi isn’t happy to play a squad game, I don’t see any reason for him to leave. Why would he abandon CL football?

We'd be mad to sell him unless we were bringing in a talent on the level of Kvara or Leao imo. Even then I don't see why ASM couldn't operate from the right in this system. 

Obviously it’s been a good week, but I haven’t once thought about him, how he’s missing, or anything. 

It feels like he’s had his moment with us, which unfortunately mostly consisted of him being a ray of light in an otherwise depressing situation. 

He’s the most obvious player we could sell for meaningful money and I think we have to if it helps us bring in a more transformative player. 

3 hours ago, Rich said:

One more year, aye, but I wouldn't be that arsed if we cut our losses. We'll be able to attract better in the summer, surely?

Aye, this is basically where I am.

When you're a shite team going nowhere you desperately cling to players like ASM or Ben Arfa as they're players who are a joy to watch in a team that offers little in that regard.

We're not that anymore. It's succulent football all the way for us now, lads. We're going to have a team loaded with players who can do absolutely insane things with a football and won't have the question marks ASM has against him.

Not a priority move to make IMO but I can see us trying to cash in now if he's not in the long term plans.

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Sick of Hope now, like. He's just a little shit-stirrer who seems to take way too much pleasure from winding people up. It was good when we needed it but you can fuck right off with that shite now, ta. 

I find a lot of people’s attitudes about ASM a bit odd. So thought I’d try and Mansplane it 🙂

He’s got a rare talent. A match winner.

He’s under contract and isn’t on a big wage.

He’s liked by the management and players.

Off the pitch he’s done nothing but shown generosity to the people of the area.

He’s showing a great attitude in trying to fit into a new system this season and was devastating and probably our best player until his first injury.

Every time he’s returned from injury and got up to speed he’s looked one of our most creative players.

With a bit of luck we will need a bigger squad playing 3 games a season with plenty of rotation and ability to carry injuries at certain parts of the season.

Going forward if we want to extend his contract he’d comfortably fit into our wage structure.

We don’t need the transfer fee he’d command and replacing him would cost way more.

…Yet still at the nearest whiff of unavailability people want him sold 🙂

(PS We have lost 6 times this season and he’s played only 230mins out of a possible 540mins not being involved in 3 of them and arguably our MOTM in two of them) 

(PPS It’s noticeable in the games we’ve failed to score he’s usually not been available either)

Edited by LFEE

50 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

Sick of Hope now, like. He's just a little shit-stirrer who seems to take way too much pleasure from winding people up. It was good when we needed it but you can fuck right off with that shite now, ta. 

Anyone who's happy working for the daily mail is a cunt, like.

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Every person's body is different with this sort of thing. Some people need to do extra work to condition their bodies for such a high intensity style of play and I think he's one of those that neds it. He should be doing some additional gym work to strengthen the muscle groups that are really given him issues.

Don't think just doing the same set programme that is generally being given to the team is going to suffice.

I'd love to know why they get them to go on the bikes so much. Being a cyclist and a qualified coach myself, if I'm training a lot I have to do a shit-tonne of stretching and strength work on glutes/hamstrings. Cycling effectively shortens your hamstrings because you don't fully extend them on a pedal stroke - I'd imagine you really don't want this if you're running/sprinting a lot.