Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

For those who don't have an adblock:

Allan Saint-Maximin has revealed how his relationship with Steve Bruce played a huge role in him signing a new six-year deal at Newcastle United.

The French winger, who has been Newcastle's talisman since joining from Nice in the summer of 2019, has extended his stay on Tyneside until 2026.

Saint-Maximin has cemented himself as a firm favourite on the terraces for his direct style of play and he feels the relationship he has developed with Bruce has allowed him to flourish on Tyneside.

And after penning a new deal at Newcastle, the 23-year-old revealed he hopes he can continue to work under Bruce's tutelage for a 'long time'.

"I have had a lot of trainers but I have never had a trainer like Steve Bruce," Saint-Maximin told NUFC TV.

"You have the professional and you have the human and the human side is really important for me.

"He comes to me a lot of times to speak not only about football but to see how I feel here because I am French, I am not an English player.

"He comes in and talks to me and he tries to do everything he can to make me feel better.

"These things can make a big difference and I really like this coach. I hope we can stay a long time working together."

Saint-Maximin now hopes Newcastle can establish themselves as a top 10 side and is confident the Magpies will continue to sign players of the ilk of Callum Wilson in order to improve.

"I hope the club continues to buy better players so we can improve," he added.

"To buy Callum Wilson was a very good signing.

"He has scored four goals in four games and this can make a big difference.

"The club has to keep going with this and me, I have to keep playing well, to give my best and if we do this I think Newcastle can be in the top 10 and maybe even more.

"This is important for the fans because everybody doesn't like to just play to fight to not go down to the second league."

Allan Saint-Maximin has revealed how his relationship with Steve Bruce played a huge role in him signing a new six-year deal at Newcastle United.

The French winger, who has been Newcastle's talisman since joining from Nice in the summer of 2019, has extended his stay on Tyneside until 2026.

Saint-Maximin has cemented himself as a firm favourite on the terraces for his direct style of play and he feels the relationship he has developed with Bruce has allowed him to flourish on Tyneside.

And after penning a new deal at Newcastle, the 23-year-old revealed he hopes he can continue to work under Bruce's tutelage for a 'long time'.

"I have had a lot of trainers but I have never had a trainer like Steve Bruce," Saint-Maximin told NUFC TV.

"You have the professional and you have the human and the human side is really important for me.

"He comes to me a lot of times to speak not only about football but to see how I feel here because I am French, I am not an English player.

"He comes in and talks to me and he tries to do everything he can to make me feel better.

"These things can make a big difference and I really like this coach. I hope we can stay a long time working together."

Saint-Maximin now hopes Newcastle can establish themselves as a top 10 side and is confident the Magpies will continue to sign players of the ilk of Callum Wilson in order to improve.

"The club has to keep going with this and me, I have to keep playing well, to give my best and if we do this I think Newcastle can be in the top 10 and maybe even more.

"This is important for the fans because everybody doesn't like to just play to fight to not go down to the second league."

Shitlisted.

Ashely aint gonna like that comment

Maybe we do have a project (that we've missed or somewhere on the horizon!). :lol:

I can’t help but wonder if pif/staveley have some kind of day over This. With Wilson/Fraser/Lewis and now being this proactive in giving players better wages, we seem to resemble something of a football club that is ran up to an okayish standard.

I can’t help but wonder if pif/staveley have some kind of day over This. With Wilson/Fraser/Lewis and now being this proactive in giving players better wages, we seem to resemble something of a football club that is ran up to an okayish standard.

Steve Bruce is our manager.

No real surprise that the local rags are bigging up Bruce being a big factor in the contract extension. We already know Brucey is every player's best pal. It only works at clubs who have no ambition to win anything therefore are happy to hand new contracts to the likes of Shelvey and Ritchie. St Max is only getting a pay rise because he was basically on the same wages as Steve Taylor was a decade ago.

I don't get this clamour for giving players higher wages. They earn enough. Yes, they most likely [in an economic sense] deserve their obscene salaries. But that is only justified by the amounts that they make for the big boys.

You've got people on one page, wanting to stick it to the PL and their partners, and then every time somebody asks for another annual salary PER WEEK, everybody is up in arms at even the slightest reluctance to submit.

Every salary hike cements the relationship with the big boys and leaves the paying fan at their mercy. I'd love nothing more than to see people continue donating to charity as opposed to lining the lining in the pockets of the super rich. But if we vote with our wallets then we are driving our clubs even further into the hands of those that will destroy it.

We need to take a stand that will undoubtedly restrict the earning ability of those stars that make the game enjoyable. Otherwise we may as well just piss in our own faces. Why wait for the off chance of a windy day.

How do you watch football? Do you have a sky subscription?

Do I fuck. Haven't had one this millenium.

But. You're absolutely correct. I haven't donated a penny to the footballing gravy train in over 20 years, so it doesn't affect me, so why would I complain? Maybe the fact that the game I love has, slowly [because too quickly raises objections] gone to shite.

Guest reefatoon

Ashley wouldn't be doing this kind of deal without someone working with him to get it it done.  I do believe the TAKEOVER is inching forward.

Have to agree with this too. There has been a couple of sensible decisions in amongst all the usual cluster fuck, that are way out of character for us usually.

Do I f***. Haven't had one this millenium.

But. You're absolutely correct. I haven't donated a penny to the footballing gravy train in over 20 years, so it doesn't affect me, so why would I complain? Maybe the fact that the game I love has, slowly [because too quickly raises objections] gone to s****.

How do you watch us play?

Do I f***. Haven't had one this millenium.

But. You're absolutely correct. I haven't donated a penny to the footballing gravy train in over 20 years, so it doesn't affect me, so why would I complain? Maybe the fact that the game I love has, slowly [because too quickly raises objections] gone to s****.

How do you watch us play?

No comment.

An area I have to give Brucey credit for is that the players genuinely do seem to like him, however I do worry this is basically because he doesn't actually make them do the drills and hard work a proper manager does...

If that were true, it would possibly make you question the ambitions/mentality of some of the players. I'm sure the Liverpool players, some of whom were average before working with Klopp love him for making them winners. The way they play suggests training must be very difficult, gruelling even, but without Klopp half of that team would be begin to look very average imo.

It's all speculation though, who knows what the players think of Bruce, or how difficult training is, or what Saint-Maximin was being paid before and what he's on now. We haven't got a clue about anything as fans other than what we see on the pitch really.

• 2 weeks later...

Shocking today tbh. Doesn't bother me a bit because we all know how deadly he can be on his day. Some of his first touches today were very "un-maximin like"

He kept trying to take people on though even though wolves quickly crowded him out. Just hope we get to see him play under a proper attacking organized manager before he leaves the club 🙏

Anytime he touched the ball, he had like 2-3 players on him. Against inferior teams it may have worked but he couldn't get in the game and was dropping deep just to get a touch of the ball at times.

Anytime he touched the ball, he had like 2-3 players on him. Against inferior teams it may have worked but he couldn't get in the game and was dropping deep just to get a touch of the ball at times.

I can see this happening a lot more.  Teams will start to work out how to nuilify him and Bruce won’t have an answer for it.  A decent manager would find a way so we can get the ball to him in space where he can do some damage but it won’t happen here.