Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Got his big contract, set for life so now he can take his foot off the pedal and coast for several years....

I am joking, but when have these big long contracts ever worked out for us? Seems the majority go off the boil the moment they sign it.

I don't personally want ASM playing with that much defensive responsibility, however he is at his best picking the ball up in a relatively deep position, driving a counter attack.

He's first name on the team sheet and equally not suited to a 5 at the back formation. Bit of a conundrum since we appear better with a 5 man defence.

Ultimately, it's about getting the most out of a combination of 11 players, so not everybody is going to get their ideal role. I don't think we should put him on the wing and then fit everyone else around that. That acceleration and change of direction that he's got can be a very useful asset in a number 10 role anyway.

That Longstaff chance straight after the first goal; ASM's control of the long ball, second touch, dribble and pass was absolutely to die for. Sensational bit of play. Pace and directness around the box is obviously an asset to any attacking player, and is enough to put fear into defenders - but stuff like that really sets you apart. The defender might not as well have been there.

The problem I saw last night with ASM in that free role is that he doesn't read the situation in front of him. He runs up blind alleys and doesn't seem to be able to release the ball without trying something himself first. A player in that position needs to show more flexibility and footballing intelligence. I'd like to see Fraser given a try in that role.

He's a wide man. Every time he gets the ball he wants to run at people. He's best placed to do that out wide.

At this stage of his career he doesn't have the discipline or subtlety to play the role being asked of him. He's dropping way too deep, and trying to do way too much in very crowded areas of the pitch.

It's extraordinary that at this level we would use a player this way. It's what you see at school boy level when a kid is just better than everyone else and he just gets the ball all the time wherever he wants, to run past everyone and try to score.

Cringe worthy stuff.

The tactical use of him makes my eyes bleed. Oppo managers have clearly said right he gets the ball so deep that we can just foul him. Him trying to maradona 86 everyone everytime does not work. Put him high and wide where defenders are less likely to want to give away free kicks.