Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I'm a huge fan of his, and this may sound very harsh, but his inability to play 90 minutes is a problem imo. I'm not meaning recently as he's clearly still recovering his fitness; but even prior to COVID he barely ever lasted 90 minutes which basically means you have one sub taken up before the match has even kicked off. Usually that wouldn't cost you, but (albeit) exceptional circumstances like today where you get two injuries, add Saint-Maximin's 60 minute limit and you're fucked if you want to effect the game with a change or you get another injury.

It's harsh, I know, but I just think any professional footballer, even those 30+ should be lasting 90 minutes on a football pitch. There's no excuses for me. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but that's just my point of view.

I'm a huge fan of his, and this may sound very harsh, but his inability to play 90 minutes is a problem imo. I'm not meaning recently as he's clearly still recovering his fitness; but even prior to COVID he barely ever lasted 90 minutes which basically means you have one sub taken up before the match has even kicked off. Usually that wouldn't cost you, but (albeit) exceptional circumstances like today where you get two injuries, add Saint-Maximin's 60 minute limit and you're f***ed if you want to effect the game with a change or you get another injury.

It's harsh, I know, but I just think any professional footballer, even those 30+ should be lasting 90 minutes on a football pitch. There's no excuses for me. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but that's just my point of view.

He'd have a propensity to just lose interest or fade out of games as soon as he was booted, or it wasn't going his way. Tariq Lampty got the better of him when we played Brighton far too easily. If he's going to kick on and really start fulfilling his talent he needs to get better at that side to his game.

If he could get it right mentally, and stay fit there is no reason why he shouldn't be looking at 20 assist/goal contributions a season

Do love him though, and it's obvious simply through the stats he makes us a far better side.

I agree on the fitness thing pre covid. Would be harsh to say anything at the moment maybe.

But yeah you could argue its because he's so explosive that he runs his tank to empty with some of his runs etc.

I'd argue the point, that yet again this is a negative against our "chummy" manager. Who has allowed him to get away with not improving his cardio because he doesn't want to risk pissing him off because he knows he needs him so much.

The whole squad bar Almiron are pretty poor I'd say in terms of overall fitness and this has been an obvious decline since Bruce took over.

Some good points :thup: He has all the natural ability in the world when it comes manipulating a football. He's breathtaking at times so we don't need to work on that area of his game at all. But it beats me why he can't improve his cardio and start lasting full games without falling off a cliff after an hour or getting taken off.

I'm not saying he needs to become Miguel Almiron, or even saying he should be fitter so he can track back. None of that, I just would like to see him in the starting line up and believe he's capable of lasting the full game. It should be expected.

I'm a huge fan of his, and this may sound very harsh, but his inability to play 90 minutes is a problem imo. I'm not meaning recently as he's clearly still recovering his fitness; but even prior to COVID he barely ever lasted 90 minutes which basically means you have one sub taken up before the match has even kicked off. Usually that wouldn't cost you, but (albeit) exceptional circumstances like today where you get two injuries, add Saint-Maximin's 60 minute limit and you're f***ed if you want to effect the game with a change or you get another injury.

You’re wrong.

I’m on my phone so cba to post all the stats, but just look at how often he played 90 minutes last season. Even this season you there is one game he started where he didn’t make it past 73 minutes (Brighton; where he was deployed as a second full back).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/allan-saint-maximin/leistungsdaten/spieler/272642/plus/0?saison=2019

You’re wrong.

I’m on my phone so cba to post all the stats, but just look at how often he played 90 minutes last season. Even this season you there is one game he started where he didn’t make it past 73 minutes (Brighton; where he was deployed as a second full back).

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/allan-saint-maximin/leistungsdaten/spieler/272642/plus/0?saison=2019

I may be wrong, it's just an observation which I feel has some truth about it. You share that link but I'm only counting 11 times he played 90 minutes? Does that prove my point wrong?

Also, in the games he does play 90 minutes, what does he have left in the tank in the latter stages? His cardio could use improvement, that's all I'll say for certain. The rest I may have missed the mark a little.

He's a way better player than just a fast dribbler like it was thought of when we got him. He's exciting and when on it can hurt anyone. It's what I loved about Ben Arfa. He could rip and defender to shreds and score.

Glad we have him - hope that if we ever get taken over or a quality manager that he can play a huge part. I imagine he will be looking for a bigger club in a year or two though if we are still pissing around the bottom.

Remember when there was talk when we signed him that his personality was a potential problem? Wtf was with that?

There have been hints this might be the case tbh.

When?

The article from Chris Waugh in the Athletic mentioned him being a difficult character. There was an interview with Atsu on nufctv, and a few others I think when asked mostly likely to be late for training or something along those lines Maxi’s name came up. Rumours of a bust up pre COVID too. Though ofcourse we don’t know how correct they really were.